NVDA with Open Office

Ron Edwards <facup1927@...>

Hi all.

I have a .doc file which I have been sent by email. I am using Windows 10 with NVDA.

I am trying to read it with Open Office, but unsuccessfully. I can choose between OO writer, OO Mat and just OO. I am not sure which one of these to use when doing this task.

I can write and read what I have written, but can't read anything of the .doc file.

Please could someone help me or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Ron

Domingos de Oliveira <domingos20000@...>

You should try it with libre Office. Writer is the right application.

--
Domingos de Oliveira
- Online-Redakteur

Karthäuserstraße 13
53129 Bonn
Telefon: 017632245129
Web: www.oliveira-online.net
www.netz-barrierefrei.de
Mail: domingos20000@...
USt-ID: DE273231108

hi.
if you want to read your files you dont have any limitation except using sayAll.
just open it with writer, or change openoffice settings by entering in
its exe file, then modify and do the steps, until you find microsoft
word if you want to your files be associated with openoffice, press
space on it to check and do the steps until finish.
if you want to have sayAll, you can open file menu and activate
preview in web browser.
it opens your default browser, makes temporary copy of your file in
html format and desplays it in your default browser.
in this way, you can read your document entirely with sayAll support
in your default browser.
hope that help you and God bless you!

On 8/17/17, Domingos de Oliveira via Groups.Io
<domingos20000@...> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Quentin Christensen

Open Office writer is the one you want for documents. Note that if that doesn't work for your, windows does include wordPad. It's a very basic word processor but will open word files. It won't save them, it only saves in etc format.

Regards

Quentin

On 17 Aug. 2017 8:56 pm, "Ron Edwards" <facup1927@...> wrote:
Hi all.

I have a .doc file which I have been sent by email.  I am using Windows 10 with NVDA.

I am trying to read it with Open Office, but unsuccessfully.  I can choose between OO writer, OO Mat and just OO.  I am not sure which one of these to use when doing this task.

I can write and read what I have written, but can't read anything of the .doc file.

Please could someone help me or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Ron

which version of openoffice do you use?
openoffice 4.1 and later versions are compatible with windows ten.

[...]

Gene

but the message says that the text of the file can't be read.  Since this file was sent by the Internet, is there some sort of protected mode that must be turned off for the file to be read by a screen-reader?  I saw a message recommending using another program.  But if the problem is a protected mode, how do we know that using another program will get around that problem?  Before installing another program, the question as to why the person can see what he has written himself but not read this document should be addressed.

Isn't there a Microsoft protected mode for documents received by the Internet which causes problems as well?

Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:51 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA with Open Office

<domingos20000@...> wrote:
> You should try it with libre Office. Writer is the right application.

>> Hi all.
>>

>> I have a .doc file which I have been sent by email.  I am using Windows
>> 10 with NVDA.
>>

>> I am trying to read it with Open Office, but unsuccessfully.  I can
>> choose between OO writer, OO Mat and just OO.  I am not sure which one
>> of these to use when doing this task.
>>

>> I can write and read what I have written, but can't read anything of the
>> .doc file.
>>

>> Please could someone help me or point me in the right direction?
>>

>> Many thanks.
>>

>> Ron
>>

> --
> Domingos de Oliveira
> - Online-Redakteur
>
> Karthäuserstraße 13
> 53129 Bonn
> Telefon: 017632245129
> Web: www.oliveira-online.net
> www.netz-barrierefrei.de
> Mail: domingos20000@...
> USt-ID: DE273231108

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

I suggest you get the free jarte processer to read it.

Jarte will ignore any images in fact a lot of word images and formatting goes over its head so it just doesn't try to read it.

It will give a blank document then but if you scroll to the end then back up till you see some text then go all the way to the top till it goes ding it then actually works.

So happy my work as web and software contracter does not need me to view any sort of actual document, sometimes word and pdf documents but most of my work is on the web.

On 17/08/2017 7:02 p.m., Ron Edwards wrote:
Hi all.

I have a .doc file which I have been sent by email. I am using Windows 10 with NVDA.

I am trying to read it with Open Office, but unsuccessfully. I can choose between OO writer, OO Mat and just OO. I am not sure which one of these to use when doing this task.

I can write and read what I have written, but can't read anything of the .doc file.

Please could someone help me or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Ron

.

Tony Ballou

Hi Ron,

Try to open the file using open office writer. If that doesn't work,
write back and I'll try to help you further.

Tony