From: Kwork
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 5:36 AM
Subject: [nvda] looking for a free YouTube video downloader that supports playlists

Hello,
I'm looking for a YouTube video downloader that supports playlists, and that is NVDA accessible. I'm not looking for anything that converts, so don't want a program that automatically downloads and converts without saving the original video. I've been using Pontes, but that hasn't been as reliable lately. Thanks for any help.
Travis

Kwork

Interesting, and thanks a lot. I think I'll also wait and see if someone comes up with something a bit less geeky as I really don't know command line.
Travis

I'm looking for a YouTube video downloader that supports playlists, and that is NVDA accessible. I'm not looking for anything that converts, so don't want a program that automatically downloads and converts without saving the original video. I've been using Pontes, but that hasn't been as reliable lately. Thanks for any help.
Travis

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Just for reference, that ponts downloader uses youtube-dl, and ffmpeg to do the conversion, it's just a wrapper around those two programs, so it's truly no jump for you to switch to youtube-dl, since you've already been using it anyway, but just didn't know it.

On 8/18/2017 12:36 AM, Kwork wrote:
Hello,
I'm looking for a YouTube video downloader that supports playlists, and that is NVDA accessible. I'm not looking for anything that converts, so don't want a program that automatically downloads and converts without saving the original video. I've been using Pontes, but that hasn't been as reliable lately. Thanks for any help.
Travis

Damien Sykes-Lindley <damien@...>

Hi Travis,
Well actually, Youtube-DL also uses ffmpeg to do the conversions as well – Either that or LibAV. It also sometimes needs other utilities as well like RTMPDump, but pretty much, as long as you want to download original video content from YouTube, then YTDL is pretty much all you need.
Cheers.
Damien.

Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 3:02 PM

Just for reference, that ponts downloader uses youtube-dl, and ffmpeg to do the conversion, it's just a wrapper around those two programs, so it's truly no jump for you to switch to youtube-dl, since you've already been using it anyway, but just didn't know it.

On 8/18/2017 12:36 AM, Kwork wrote:
Hello,
I'm looking for a YouTube video downloader that supports playlists, and that is NVDA accessible. I'm not looking for anything that converts, so don't want a program that automatically downloads and converts without saving the original video. I've been using Pontes, but that hasn't been as reliable lately. Thanks for any help.
Travis

Kwork

Thanks. Now that I'm more awake, I'll play a bit more with things. Seems to be an amazing program, and I did realize that Pontes was using it already, but wondered if it was missing something in the process of doing something since it hasn't been updated in quite some time.

Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 3:02 PM

Just for reference, that ponts downloader uses youtube-dl, and ffmpeg to do the conversion, it's just a wrapper around those two programs, so it's truly no jump for you to switch to youtube-dl, since you've already been using it anyway, but just didn't know it.

On 8/18/2017 12:36 AM, Kwork wrote:
Hello,
I'm looking for a YouTube video downloader that supports playlists, and that is NVDA accessible. I'm not looking for anything that converts, so don't want a program that automatically downloads and converts without saving the original video. I've been using Pontes, but that hasn't been as reliable lately. Thanks for any help.
Travis

Sarah k Alawami

You can use youtube-dl. It is a command line program that is fully accessible. You can even write a script that takes out the youtube ID as well. I love that piece of software.

Take care

On Aug 17, 2017, at 9:36 PM, Kwork <istherelife@...> wrote:

Hello,
I'm looking for a YouTube video downloader that supports playlists, and that is NVDA accessible. I'm not looking for anything that converts, so don't want a program that automatically downloads and converts without saving the original video. I've been using Pontes, but that hasn't been as reliable lately. Thanks for any help.
Travis

can you download playlist with it? also is it easy to use?

On 8/18/2017 9:32 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
You can use youtube-dl. It is a command line program that is fully accessible. You can even write a script that takes out the youtube ID as well. I love that piece of software.

Take care
On Aug 17, 2017, at 9:36 PM, Kwork <istherelife@...> wrote:

Hello,
I'm looking for a YouTube video downloader that supports playlists, and that is NVDA accessible. I'm not looking for anything that converts, so don't want a program that automatically downloads and converts without saving the original video. I've been using Pontes, but that hasn't been as reliable lately. Thanks for any help.
Travis

Damien Sykes-Lindley <damien@...>

Hi,
Yes, yes and yes.
It can be downloaded at www.ytdl.org.
It can download playlists. It can even download from video and audio services other than Youtube.
It’s command line based, so as long as you read the documentation, it’s easy. I have batch scripts to download all my content – Especially easy since it can download in bulk and read URL’s from a file.
Cheers.
Damien.

can you download playlist with it? also is it easy to use?

On 8/18/2017 9:32 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
You can use youtube-dl. It is a command line program that is fully accessible. You can even write a script that takes out the youtube ID as well. I love that piece of software.

Take care
On Aug 17, 2017, at 9:36 PM, Kwork <istherelife@...> wrote:

Hello,
I'm looking for a YouTube video downloader that supports playlists, and that is NVDA accessible. I'm not looking for anything that converts, so don't want a program that automatically downloads and converts without saving the original video. I've been using Pontes, but that hasn't been as reliable lately. Thanks for any help.
Travis

is there a way I could get your batch files?

On 8/18/2017 12:01 PM, Damien Sykes-Lindley wrote:
[...]

Yes you can, and yes it's easy to use. I've ben using command line programs since 2002 so for me it's very easy to use. Just gogole man youtube-dl and read the documentation that comes up.

Take care

On Aug 18, 2017, at 11:27 AM, The Wolf <hank.smith966@...> wrote:

can you download playlist with it? also is it easy to use?

On 8/18/2017 9:32 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
You can use youtube-dl. It is a command line program that is fully accessible. You can even write a script that takes out the youtube ID as well. I love that piece of software.

Take care
On Aug 17, 2017, at 9:36 PM, Kwork <istherelife@...> wrote:

Hello,
I'm looking for a YouTube video downloader that supports playlists, and that is NVDA accessible. I'm not looking for anything that converts, so don't want a program that automatically downloads and converts without saving the original video. I've been using Pontes, but that hasn't been as reliable lately. Thanks for any help.
Travis

Sarah k Alawami

Nope. I don't give those out You have to write it yourself. And besides I did aliases in my bash shell which I won't export either. You have to do those yourself if you are in the bash invironment. I don't give away my stuff that easily anymore.

Take care

On Aug 18, 2017, at 12:07 PM, The Wolf <hank.smith966@...> wrote:

[...]

No problem. I'm just glad they were at least findable.

I'm looking for a YouTube video downloader that supports playlists, and that is NVDA accessible. I'm not looking for anything that converts, so don't want a program that automatically downloads and converts without saving the original video. I've been using Pontes, but that hasn't been as reliable lately. Thanks for any help.
Travis

Arlene

Hi, does it work better then songr?