slightly ot, braille contraction confusion

Anne Günther

Hi,
I'm from Germany. So that,s my first language' Which means I'm only semi fluent in reading english contractions. So I looked for a cheat sheet. During my search I learned that ueb is now generally adopted "everywhere". I also found a list of symbols and to my... not exactly great yoy I found out, that a fair amount is different than I learned it. But when I switched to the unified braille table in nvda it looked a lot more like what I'm used to. So what's with all that?
best wishes, Guenni

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well if its any consolation some of us are not happy about UAB either, and since I do not use it on computers it matters little, but is annoying when you get some things labelled in some mix and match form of the code and wonder how we got to this confused state.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 11:31 PM
Subject: [nvda] slightly ot, braille contraction confusion

Hi,
I'm from Germany. So that,s my first language' Which means I'm only semi fluent in reading english contractions. So I looked for a cheat sheet. During my search I learned that ueb is now generally adopted "everywhere". I also found a list of symbols and to my... not exactly great yoy I found out, that a fair amount is different than I learned it. But when I switched to the unified braille table in nvda it looked a lot more like what I'm used to. So what's with all that?
best wishes, Guenni

Peter Beasley

UEB is rubbish.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2017 10:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] slightly ot, braille contraction confusion

Well if its any consolation some of us are not happy about UAB either, and
since I do not use it on computers it matters little, but is annoying when
you get some things labelled in some mix and match form of the code and
wonder how we got to this confused state.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 11:31 PM
Subject: [nvda] slightly ot, braille contraction confusion

Hi,
best wishes, Guenni

Anne Günther

Hi Listers,
Sorry, but you telling me that you don't like uefb (either) doesn't really help me here. :-)
So I'll try to ask the question a bit differently. Why does the uefb table in nvda shows different symbols/contractions than the official cheat sheet? And will that be changed or will there be an extra table? Since there's a fair chance I'll have to teach the stuff there's no chance of me getting around it in the long run. :-)
take care, Guenni

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Hi Ann,

I understand the resistance to UEB, but I don't understand why some one thought those comments would be helpful. We are usually a bit more thoughtful around here.

I don't have a firm answer for you, but I was talking to the braille proofers at CNIB a while back and they were frustrated with UEB because every two years or so brought out major and minor revisions to the code. I can only guess that the reference sheet you are using is from one era, while the UEB table in NVDA is from another era. If that's the case, then you can understand some of the frustration. Especially in the case of people who grew up on english grade one and two now trying to make the switch for various reasons.

Anyhow, Maybe some one on this list can provide us the releace date of the UEB braille table which we can check against the releace date of your reference sheet and we can go from there. Hopefully, the braille table is more modern than your reference sheet.

Have a relaxing weekend,

Erik

On August 19, 2017 6:57:00 AM Anne Günther <ag82lca@leseguenni.de> wrote:

Hi Listers,
Sorry, but you telling me that you don't like uefb (either) doesn't
really help me here. :-)
So I'll try to ask the question a bit differently. Why does the uefb
table in nvda shows different symbols/contractions than the official
cheat sheet? And will that be changed or will there be an extra table?
Since there's a fair chance I'll have to teach the stuff there's no
chance of me getting around it in the long run. :-)
take care, Guenni