Topics

what in the world is happening with firefox and nvda

Tony Ballou

howdy mates

for some reason nVDA and firefox are having quite a time getting along
with each other now.  When web pages come up you get the announcement
that the page is up, however, nothing else works. Tabbing through the
page for links, browse mode keystrokes, everything appears to be shot.
Does anyone know what happened, and a fix for it if there is one?  Very
strange indeed.  using the latest versions of both windows 10 pro and NVda.

Tony

Marco Oros

Have You reopen Firefox?

Lino Morales

Make full screen mode is off by pressing F11.

On 8/20/2017 4:32 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
howdy mates

for some reason nVDA and firefox are having quite a time getting along
with each other now.  When web pages come up you get the announcement
that the page is up, however, nothing else works. Tabbing through the
page for links, browse mode keystrokes, everything appears to be shot.
Does anyone know what happened, and a fix for it if there is one?  Very
strange indeed.  using the latest versions of both windows 10 pro and NVda.

Tony

Chris

What exactly is happening ?

Have you tried another browser?

What version of firefox?

what steps have tou taken so far?

for some reason nVDA and firefox are having quite a time getting along

with each other now.  When web pages come up you get the announcement

that the page is up, however, nothing else works. Tabbing through the

page for links, browse mode keystrokes, everything appears to be shot.

Does anyone know what happened, and a fix for it if there is one?  Very

strange indeed.  using the latest versions of both windows 10 pro and NVda.

Tony

Perhaps it has something to do with the 32bit and 64 bit versions of firefox but i'm not sure

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

On Aug 21, 2017, at 4:51 AM, Chris <chrismedley@...> wrote:

What exactly is happening ?

Have you tried another browser?

What version of firefox?

what steps have tou taken so far?

for some reason nVDA and firefox are having quite a time getting along

with each other now.  When web pages come up you get the announcement

that the page is up, however, nothing else works. Tabbing through the

page for links, browse mode keystrokes, everything appears to be shot.

Does anyone know what happened, and a fix for it if there is one?  Very

strange indeed.  using the latest versions of both windows 10 pro and NVda.

Tony

Jacob Kruger

What version of firefox are you using?

Ask since been doing quite a lot with firefox 55.0.2 here, with no issues with NVDA, and, also under windows 10 creators 64 bit, etc.?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017/08/20 22:32, Tony Ballou wrote:
howdy mates

for some reason nVDA and firefox are having quite a time getting along
with each other now. When web pages come up you get the announcement
that the page is up, however, nothing else works. Tabbing through the
page for links, browse mode keystrokes, everything appears to be shot.
Does anyone know what happened, and a fix for it if there is one? Very
strange indeed. using the latest versions of both windows 10 pro and NVda.

Tony

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi tony

can you tell me if nvda is doing any of the following? In all browsers
is he saying unknown or will not speak the contents of the web page? did
the page fully load try the f5 key to do this or use the nvda key + f5
key and see if it plays nicely?

Does he work in microsoft edge and read out the contents?

Down on the running application area on the task bar does nvda speak any
of the programs there?

When you hit the applications key does nvda speak any of the menus as
you arrow down it?

If you are running mozilla thunder bird does it say unknown as you tab
into it or try to get to messages or the menus it would be the same for
mozilla fire fox.

Gene nz

On 21/08/2017 08:32, Tony Ballou wrote:
howdy mates

for some reason nVDA and firefox are having quite a time getting along
with each other now. When web pages come up you get the announcement
that the page is up, however, nothing else works. Tabbing through the
page for links, browse mode keystrokes, everything appears to be shot.
Does anyone know what happened, and a fix for it if there is one? Very
strange indeed. using the latest versions of both windows 10 pro and NVda.

Tony

Tony Ballou

Hi folks,

Got it working on my laptop just fine, that worked.  My friends desktop
however is still being ornery though. When I hit the insert key on the
numeric pad, it say no such heading, checkbox, or other browse mode
elements, and the insert f7 keystroke fails to bring up the elements
list. what could have scrambled this programs eggs?

Tony

On 8/20/2017 4:49 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

Make full screen mode is off by pressing F11.

On 8/20/2017 4:32 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
howdy mates

for some reason nVDA and firefox are having quite a time getting along
with each other now.  When web pages come up you get the announcement
that the page is up, however, nothing else works. Tabbing through the
page for links, browse mode keystrokes, everything appears to be shot.
Does anyone know what happened, and a fix for it if there is one?  Very
strange indeed.  using the latest versions of both windows 10 pro and
NVda.

Tony

Kevin Cussick

I got this to day as well using nvda rc latest, windows10 home 64 bit. the thing is it was a feed but it crashes or at least nvda just did not seem to work a tall! I did manage to shut ff down but that was it the address is this https://www.nvaccess.org/feed/ maybe someone else can try this using ff and nvda and if it is broke I hope to get a fix soon with thanks as always.

On 20/08/2017 21:32, Tony Ballou wrote:
howdy mates
for some reason nVDA and firefox are having quite a time getting along
with each other now.  When web pages come up you get the announcement
that the page is up, however, nothing else works. Tabbing through the
page for links, browse mode keystrokes, everything appears to be shot.
Does anyone know what happened, and a fix for it if there is one?  Very
strange indeed.  using the latest versions of both windows 10 pro and NVda.
Tony

Tony Ballou

Hi Jake,

Working with the exact same stuff.  Firefox up until now has always behaved.

Tony

On 8/20/2017 4:58 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
[...]

Hey Gene,

It has said unknown in Thunderbird yes indeed. I haven't played with
edge.  However, I am seeing many of those symptoms that you're talking
about in Firefox .

Tony

[...]

I will copy and paste what fixed mine off my website. You might need
sighted assistance? but I see also now for the same bug there is or
maybe fixes for other versions of windows.

But before you go to see if it fixes the problem can you do the
following first?

Under the general settings in nvda set the log level to debug. Save your
settings.

restart nvda so it is a fresh copy go into the areas where you are
having the problems nvda will record your steps like in your browser
thunder bird etc.

Then save the log to your desktop it can be found under the tools then
view log section. press the alt key then go to save log and save it to
your desk top or some where easy to find it.

Below will be what fixed mine on my windows 10 machine and also on a
ladies one.

I will also find the page with other fixes maybe the same or different.

Troubleshooting - NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your browsers,
Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places
If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or
“pane” check for the following symptoms:

In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no
matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot get
into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and other
strange behaviour in Windows

The running applications icons are not being spoken out
It might be a good idea to do the following:
Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed above)
NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may not be
completely in Windows and other programmes.
You could try the following solution which will allow you to re-register
your dll files in case they are causing the problem.
Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box. Type
in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in the search
results, press the Applications key to bring up the context menu. Arrow
down to select “run as administrator” and press the Enter key. This will
take you to a command prompt window. This will not be spoken out. You
may need sighted assistance for this.
Type in the following command
for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x
This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.
When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with the
Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying “unknown” as
in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons in the running
applications area of Windows, speak the content of the webpage and
menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other places in Windows
including the Windows applications context menu.

Gene nz

On 21/08/2017 09:13, Tony Ballou wrote:
[...]

the link to the page where the other fixes are can be found at
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2807#issuecomment-320149243

This is what i just copied off it and there looks to be a reg patch but
think it is for windows 7 or 8.

8. On Windows 10 (both 32 and 64 bit), also enter the following command:
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\OneCoreCommonProxyStub.dll
9. On Windows 10 64 bit, also enter the following command:
c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\OneCoreCommonProxyStub.dll

[...]

This is what else is copied from off that page below.

there is no reg patch it would have to be sent separately to you but may
or may not work.

For anyone experiencing this issue, please try the following. Note that
these instructions are not as complete for Windows 8 and 8.1 yet.
1. Please apply this registry patch (remove the .txt extension).
2. If you're using 64 bit Windows, please also apply this second
registry patch (remove the .txt extension).
3. Open a command prompt as administrator: Start menu, type cmd.exe into
the search box, press control+shift+enter and accept the UAC prompt.
4. Enter the following commands:
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\oleaut32.dll
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\actxprxy.dll
5. On a 64 bit system, also enter the following commands:
c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\oleaut32.dll
c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\actxprxy.dll
6. On Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit), also enter the following command:
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 "c:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\ieproxy.dll"
7. On Windows 7 64 bit, also enter the following command:
c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 "c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet
Explorer\ieproxy.dll"
8. On Windows 10 (both 32 and 64 bit), also enter the following command:
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\OneCoreCommonProxyStub.dll
9. On Windows 10 64 bit, also enter the following command:
c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\OneCoreCommonProxyStub.dll

I should put these instructions up on the website as well or may be link
to them.

Gene nz

On 21/08/2017 09:45, Gene New Zealand wrote:
[...]

Hi all, OK I uninstalled the RC version of nvda went back to the last stable version and now ff works as it should. to Tony, did you have this problem using the RC version of Nvda? if you are using the stable version this then does not match my problem. but if you are then get the latest stable version from the nvda web sight, uninstall the RC version using a portable version of nvda or use Narrator and restart the pc, then install the latest stable version but I wonder if the computer you are having the problems is a lenovo buy any chance? on this lenovo all in one I am having the problems but getting rid of the Rc fixed it Joseph or someone from Nv access can you report this? I can give no more information at this time. I am using or was using the latest version of ff and I was using the latest up to date version of windows10 64 bit home, last bit of information was that I did hear nvda saying thunderbird even though I had firefox open Narrator reads it just fine. all is fixed with reverting back to the current stable version of nvda.

On 20/08/2017 22:35, Gene New Zealand wrote:
[...]

This is very likely the same problem that has been discussed many times on the list.  Did you remove anything such as a Microsoft office program or Microsoft Office?  You need to run a command line command to register dll files that have become unregistered.  That may solve the problem.  If it doesn't, I'm not sure what the solution is.  Running a restore point, I would think might solve the problem if you run one from before the program or programs were uninstalled and then you leave the resurrected programs in place.  There may be other possible solutions but if there are, we'll see if people know of any.

Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2017 3:49 PM

Make full screen mode is off by pressing F11.

On 8/20/2017 4:32 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
> howdy mates
>
> for some reason nVDA and firefox are having quite a time getting along
> with each other now.  When web pages come up you get the announcement
> that the page is up, however, nothing else works. Tabbing through the
> page for links, browse mode keystrokes, everything appears to be shot.
> Does anyone know what happened, and a fix for it if there is one?  Very
> strange indeed.  using the latest versions of both windows 10 pro and NVda.
>
> Tony

Well you can reinstall office I guess.

Another temperary fix I had done was do a repair of adobe reader dc and that fixed it however on each office update or other office component related update in windows update the task had to be repeated.

On my system I solved it with a reformat.

THat fixed everything, but then my system hadn't had a good reformat in 5 years and had other issues to.

One thing to note, if you use other versions of office on win10 and the office compatibility kit, then don't use that kit, windows seems to get confused on what to open things with unless you keep repairing office all the time.

I did use this pack and found after uninstalling it and then repairing office again that things worked.

On 21/08/2017 12:14 p.m., Gene wrote:
[...]

Would list members please explain how a problem is solved when it is?  No one else will benefit from the solution if it is just stated that the problem was solved.  You might say, I solved it by following the suggestion to do this or that on the list or I did this or that to solve it.

Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2017 4:06 PM

Hi folks,

Got it working on my laptop just fine, that worked.  My friends desktop
however is still being ornery though. When I hit the insert key on the
numeric pad, it say no such heading, checkbox, or other browse mode
elements, and the insert f7 keystroke fails to bring up the elements
list. what could have scrambled this programs eggs?

Tony

On 8/20/2017 4:49 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

> Make full screen mode is off by pressing F11.
>

> On 8/20/2017 4:32 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
>> howdy mates
>>
>> for some reason nVDA and firefox are having quite a time getting along
>> with each other now.  When web pages come up you get the announcement
>> that the page is up, however, nothing else works. Tabbing through the
>> page for links, browse mode keystrokes, everything appears to be shot.
>> Does anyone know what happened, and a fix for it if there is one?  Very
>> strange indeed.  using the latest versions of both windows 10 pro and
>> NVda.
>>
>> Tony

Arlene

Hi, was this only with windows ten? I tested firefox on my 7 box. I can’t confirm this problem.

Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2017 4:06 PM

Hi folks,

Got it working on my laptop just fine, that worked.  My friends desktop
however is still being ornery though. When I hit the insert key on the
numeric pad, it say no such heading, checkbox, or other browse mode
elements, and the insert f7 keystroke fails to bring up the elements
list. what could have scrambled this programs eggs?

Tony

On 8/20/2017 4:49 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

> Make full screen mode is off by pressing F11.
>

> On 8/20/2017 4:32 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
>> howdy mates
>>
>> for some reason nVDA and firefox are having quite a time getting along
>> with each other now.  When web pages come up you get the announcement
>> that the page is up, however, nothing else works. Tabbing through the
>> page for links, browse mode keystrokes, everything appears to be shot.
>> Does anyone know what happened, and a fix for it if there is one?  Very
>> strange indeed.  using the latest versions of both windows 10 pro and
>> NVda.
>>
>> Tony

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think the question is, did you remove a program recently?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-