Topics

NVDA 2017.3 released

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

NVDA 2017.3 is out!  Highlights of this release include input of contracted braille, support for new Windows OneCore voices available on Windows 10, in-built support for Windows 10 OCR, and many significant improvements regarding Braille and the web.

Release notes and download links at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-3-now-available-for-download/

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Dennis L

Will the ocr fuction come to other versions of windows?

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On August 24, 2017 7:52:44 PM "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

NVDA 2017.3 is out!  Highlights of this release include input of contracted braille, support for new Windows OneCore voices available on Windows 10, in-built support for Windows 10 OCR, and many significant improvements regarding Braille and the web.

Release notes and download links at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-3-now-available-for-download/

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Hi Dennis,

Good question.  The answer, I believe, would be unfortunately not.  The OCR functionality we are using, like the OneCore voices, are built-in to Windows 10.  If Microsoft ever made them available in earlier versions, then we could use them, sure.  In earlier versions of Windows prior to Windows 10, you can still use the OCR Add-on available from https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Dennis L <dennisl1982@...> wrote:

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

I just got it.

NVDA 2017.3 is out!  Highlights of this release include input of contracted braille, support for new Windows OneCore voices available on Windows 10, in-built support for Windows 10 OCR, and many significant improvements regarding Braille and the web.

Release notes and download links at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-3-now-available-for-download/

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

thanks quentin for posting this.
God bless you, pray for you sincerely and request divine infinite
mercy, graces, blessings and bounties in my five times obligatory
prayers in every day and in other times.

On 8/25/17, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:
I just got it.

NVDA 2017.3 is out! Highlights of this release include input of contracted
braille, support for new Windows OneCore voices available on Windows 10,
in-built support for Windows 10 OCR, and many significant improvements
regarding Braille and the web.

Release notes and download links at:
https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-3-now-available-for-download/

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306> +61 7 3149 3306

<http://www.nvaccess.org/>; www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>;
http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Quentin Christensen

Thank-you Zahra,

And to you also!

Quentin.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:34 AM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
thanks quentin for posting this.
God bless you, pray for you sincerely and request divine infinite
mercy, graces, blessings and bounties in my five times obligatory
prayers in every day and in other times.

> I just got it.

Chris Wright <blindgamer87@...>

Hi,

First of all, I'm new to the list and this is my first post. I have a couple questions about the new OCR feature.

1. Does it work on all versions of Windows 10 or just the Creators version and newer?
2. Does this work even if you're offline?

This release is awesome! It's one of the best ones I've experienced in my 6 or so years of using NVDA.

On Aug 24, 2017, at 7:00 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Chris,

Firstly, welcome to the list!

Windows 10 OCR is available for every version of Windows 10, and yes, it runs completely offline.

I saw a post from Feb last year, about the November (2015) update saying how Microsoft had added some new languages, which brought the total at the time, up to 25 languages.  You might need at least a particular build of Windows 10 if you are using non-English languages, but I can't find a list.

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Chris Wright via Groups.Io <blindgamer87@...> wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Not unless Microsoft make some form of interface for it. I think this is highly unlikely.

Its a throw away world for software just as much as actual hardware.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

On August 24, 2017 7:52:44 PM "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org>
wrote:

Hi everyone,

NVDA 2017.3 is out! Highlights of this release include input of contracted
braille, support for new Windows OneCore voices available on Windows 10,
in-built support for Windows 10 OCR, and many significant improvements
regarding Braille and the web.

Release notes and download links at:
https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-3-now-available-for-download/

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Its also interesting to note that in my xp and windows 7 machines with Office pro 2002/3 office tools installed. OCR is very easy to do from a suitable scanner still.
I seem to remember that the Office tools from this old version of Office will still work on windows 8, but I have no machine suitable to test it. I suppose one could buy Abbey Fine reader. I don't think it costs that much but I also note that knfb reader can be purchased for Windows 10 now. Do not know how this might compare to the inbuilt one in 10.

wrote:

[...]

I'd mot thought of the fact that it might be using internet cloud resources. Surely this would not normally be neeed, we have had stand alone ocr for years now.
I believe the creators update only has the interface that nvda uses. Since a new creators update is about a month away, we need to be careful, given Microsofts track record of fixing one thing and breaking several others, though!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

First of all, I'm new to the list and this is my first post. I have a couple questions about the new OCR feature.

1. Does it work on all versions of Windows 10 or just the Creators version and newer?
2. Does this work even if you're offline?

This release is awesome! It's one of the best ones I've experienced in my 6 or so years of using NVDA.
On Aug 24, 2017, at 7:00 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:

Hi Dennis,

Good question. The answer, I believe, would be unfortunately not. The OCR functionality we are using, like the OneCore voices, are built-in to Windows 10. If Microsoft ever made them available in earlier versions, then we could use them, sure. In earlier versions of Windows prior to Windows 10, you can still use the OCR Add-on available from https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html>;

Release notes and download links at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-3-now-available-for-download/ <https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-3-now-available-for-download/>;

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/ <http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>;

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>;
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>;
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/ <http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>;

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>;
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>;
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well back when I first got my hands on the windows ten, that was the anniversary one, I simply could not figure out how ocr was supposed to be done. I think its only in the creators update that its more straightforward.
I'm waiting till Christmas to treat myself to a replacement win 10 machine since my old clunker updated from7 went to the great silicon graveyard in a puff, a bang and a destroyed motherboard resting place in the sky.
I'm keeping this machine on 7, as it works. If its not broken etc.

wrote:

[...]

mr. Chikodinaka Nickarandidum Oguledo

does the new NVDA I just dolode 1hour a go have new NVDA voices? if
the answer is yes where can I get thit where where? can I get it for
free install it for free use it for free free NVDA voices f r e e NVDA
voices for free or non Free voices that work with any screen reader
like jaws windos eyes or NVDa

wrote:

Hi everyone,

NVDA 2017.3 is out! Highlights of this release include input of
contracted braille, support for new Windows OneCore voices available
on
Windows 10, in-built support for Windows 10 OCR, and many significant
improvements regarding Braille and the web.

Release notes and download links at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/
nvda-2017-3-now-available-for-download/

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

The new voices mentioned in the "What's new" are the "OneCore" voices which are included with Windows 10.  These aren't available if using an earlier version of Windows.  If using Windows 10, open the Synthesizer dialog (NVDA+control+s) and select "Windows OneCore Voices".  Then go to Voice Settings (NVDA+control+v) and choose the specific voice and voice options you would like.

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 9:33 PM, mr. Chikodinaka Nickarandidum Oguledo <ochikodinaka@...> wrote:
does the new NVDA I just dolode 1hour a go have new NVDA voices? if
the answer is yes where can I get thit where where? can I get it for
free install it for free use it for free free NVDA voices f r e e NVDA
voices for free or non Free voices that work with any screen reader
like jaws windos eyes or NVDa

> Well back when I first got my hands on the windows ten, that was the
> anniversary one, I simply could not figure out how ocr was supposed to be
> done. I think its only in the creators update that its more
> straightforward.
>  I'm waiting till Christmas to treat myself to a replacement win 10 machine
>
> since my old clunker updated from7 went to the great silicon graveyard in a
>
> puff, a bang and a destroyed motherboard  resting place in the sky.
>  I'm keeping this machine on 7, as it works. If its not broken etc.
>  Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

Gary Metzler <gmtravel@...>

Hi Quentin,

How can I get the extra voices for one core?  thanks for any help.

God bless you, pray for you sincerely and request divine infinite
mercy, graces, blessings and bounties in my five times obligatory
prayers in every day and in other times.

> I just got it.

Antony Stone

Which extra voices do you mean?

If you are running Windows 10, you already have the OneCore voices.

If you are not running Windows 10, those voices are not available.

I've never heard of any extra voices for OneCore other than those included as
standard with Windows 10.

Antony.

On Friday 25 August 2017 at 15:29:12, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi Quentin,

How can I get the extra voices for one core? thanks for any help.

> NVDA 2017.3 is out! Highlights of this release include input of
> contracted braille, support for new Windows OneCore voices available
> on Windows 10, in-built support for Windows 10 OCR, and many
> significant improvements regarding Braille and the web.
>
> Release notes and download links at:
> https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-3-now-available-for-download/
--
"Good health" is merely the slowest rate at which you can die.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

mr. Chikodinaka Nickarandidum Oguledo

so I am stuck with espeak or how do I get new voices with NVDA I use
windos 7 pro

wrote:

thanks quentin for posting this.

On 8/25/17, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just got it.

I use nvda windos 7home pro. I need new voices for NVDA where do I go

wrote:

thanks quentin for posting this.

On 8/25/17, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just got it.

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

> NVDA 2017.3 is out! Highlights of this release include input of
> contracted braille, support for new Windows OneCore voices available
> on Windows 10, in-built support for Windows 10 OCR, and many
> significant improvements regarding Braille and the web.
>
> Release notes and download links at:
> https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-3-now-available-for-download/
--
"Good health" is merely the slowest rate at which you can die.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

David Mehler

Hi,

Can the One Core voices be used in a portable install? I'm thinking
from a thumb drive.

Thanks.
Dave.