[NVDA stopping Outlook 2016

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi everyone,

I am running Outlook 2016 on Windows 10 with the latest update of NVDA.

Over the past month, I have found that outlook stops and runs out of time almost every time (four times a day) that I check my emails. I notice the problem particularly when I try to swap between folders. This generates the message that Outlook has stopped working and will close. Today, I downloaded the newest update of NVDA and yet the problem is still persisting.

I unloaded NVDA and brought up JAWS. With JAWS running I am able to swap between folders without any delay so I am convinced that NDA is causing the problem.

Before loading JAWS, I had a very full outlook .pst file and reduced that from 1.2g to 200mb. I have no addins so that can't be the cause.
Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a known solution?

I would really value a response as I much prefer to use NVDA rather than JAWS!

All the best,

Cearbhall

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Funny you should mention this. Another user on this list has Outlook 2003, and this keeps doing this when an email is opened. Not always but enough to be really irritating. I think we assumed it was Windows 10 that was to blame. Does the problem occur if, say you completely stop nvda and use Narrator or another screenreader?
If it does then its nvda related, but I'm of the mind its the creators update and some specific installations of Office.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Chris Mullins

I have Outlook 2007 and it works fine with NVDA until I try to read the status bar using NVDA+end when Outlook stops working and I have to restart it. This has occurred in quite a few versions of NVDA up to 17.2. I'm not saying it's an NVDA problem, it may be something to do with the interaction between the information exposed by Outlook and how NVDA obtains it whichh causes it. I doubt MS would do anything to solve it, so I just avoid using that keystroke.

Cheers#

Chris

[...]

Brian,

Yes, as I described in my message this morning, it only happens with NVDA. I tried the same Outlook session with JAWS 16 and there was no problem and Outlook was not slowed down in any way. I do think it is an NVDA problem.

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Pranav Lal

Hi Cearbhall,

I am experiencing the stopping of outlook. I did not test with jaws. However, I have switched to an insider build of Office which has mitigated the problem to an extent.

Pranav

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

In the case of Outlook 2003, it seems that sometimes just opening an email can crash everything as well. I wonder if you are right here, and its some specific info gathering in many versions of outlook that can cause trouble, the way UIA used to when it was first implemented by Microsoft, freezing up the computer and nvda. In XP if you recall, Microsoft brought out a glue on UIA update and that had so much trouble uia had to be completely disabled in nvda as using it crashed.
[...]

The thing is that it seems to be that even older outlooks suffer from this crash or freeze in different places, and if it could be tackled from the nvda side it might help those who cannot really afford to buy the latest and greatest version of Office. Just thought I'd put that point. I myself do not use Outlook, so I'm not affected here.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I am experiencing the stopping of outlook. I did not test with jaws. However, I have switched to an insider build of Office which has mitigated the problem to an extent.

Pranav

laura cornwell <cornwelll627@...>

Well  I am having the same trouble   and I don't know where this could be coming from  I would also like to know  now when I use the screen reader that

comes with Windows  outlook works fine. all the best to fixing this trouble.    On 8/25/2017 5:31 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

[...]

slery <slerythema@...>

I have this problem constantly. It is so bad now that I cannot use any
folder other than the one that is open.

For another problem, my computer was recently reset (office 365 and NVDA
were both among the programs reinstalled. This reset has allowed my
computer to finally get creators update (1703)). The problem with Outlook
is at it's worst.
Cindy

On August 30, 2017 1:21:20 AM "laura cornwell" <cornwelll627@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Look back for Sakina's message about Outlook 2003 also stopping for no apparent reason. I am wondering if this is a Microsoft issue, not an nvda one concerning something in Office. Brian

[...]

It seems to work when NVDA is not running. Will do more testing and try
narrator as someone suggested.

On September 4, 2017 5:35:41 AM "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io"

[...]

How important is opening multiple folders?  To my knowledge, I've never used a program that allows me to have to, three, or more folders opened.  Many e-mail programs allow you to see all messages aggregated from the same folder in different accounts.  For example, if you want to see all inbox messages from every inbox folder in your machine and you have three accounts, there is an aggregate folder that shows all inbox messages in one place.

On August 30, 2017 1:21:20 AM "laura cornwell" <cornwelll627@...> wrote:

> Well  I am having the same trouble   and I don't know where this could
> be coming from  I would also like to know  now when I use the screen
> reader that
>

> comes with Windows  outlook works fine. all the best to fixing this
> trouble.    On 8/25/2017 5:31 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:
>> I have Outlook 2007 and it works fine with NVDA until I try to read the
>> status bar using NVDA+end when Outlook stops working and I have to restart
>> it.  This has occurred in quite a few versions of NVDA up to 17.2.  I'm not
>> saying it's an NVDA problem, it may be something to do with the interaction
>> between the information exposed by Outlook and how NVDA obtains it whichh
>> causes it.  I doubt MS would do anything  to solve it, so I just avoid
>> using that keystroke.
>>
>> Cheers#
>>
>> Chris

slery <slerythema@...>

I routinely have four folders open all day long. Two of the folders stay the same all day and two change throughout the day. These are all from the same account. I do not want the other accounts mixed as I check them at different times.

I have used Outlook and NOT Outlook express for years and I am not looking for something with less functionality.
Cindy

On September 4, 2017 12:04:16 PM "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

How important is opening multiple folders?  To my knowledge, I've never used a program that allows me to have to, three, or more folders opened.  Many e-mail programs allow you to see all messages aggregated from the same folder in different accounts.  For example, if you want to see all inbox messages from every inbox folder in your machine and you have three accounts, there is an aggregate folder that shows all inbox messages in one place.

I have this problem constantly. It is so bad now that I cannot use any
folder other than the one that is open.

For another problem, my computer was recently reset (office 365 and NVDA
were both among the programs reinstalled. This reset has allowed my
computer to finally get creators update (1703)). The problem with Outlook
is at it's worst.
Cindy

On August 30, 2017 1:21:20 AM "laura cornwell" <cornwelll627@...> wrote:

> Well  I am having the same trouble   and I don't know where this could
> be coming from  I would also like to know  now when I use the screen
> reader that
>

> comes with Windows  outlook works fine. all the best to fixing this
> trouble.    On 8/25/2017 5:31 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:
>> I have Outlook 2007 and it works fine with NVDA until I try to read the
>> status bar using NVDA+end when Outlook stops working and I have to restart
>> it.  This has occurred in quite a few versions of NVDA up to 17.2.  I'm not
>> saying it's an NVDA problem, it may be something to do with the interaction
>> between the information exposed by Outlook and how NVDA obtains it whichh
>> causes it.  I doubt MS would do anything  to solve it, so I just avoid
>> using that keystroke.
>>
>> Cheers#
>>
>> Chris

Gene

I didn't say anything about Outlook Express.  I wanted to be clear about how important having multiple folders opened simultaneously is because niether Thunderbird nor Windows Live Mail allows this.  I really doubt the Windows Mail App in Windows 10 does either.  It might be useful to know if your problem is one of the problems that Outlook and NVDA have when used in combination.  There have been problems discussed here recently where, when people tried JAWS with Outlook, the problems didn't occur but they do with NVDA.  Perhaps list members know about another accessible program that allows you to have more than one folder opened at a time.  If you are using Windows 10 and if you want multiple folders opened and you don't have JAWS, you might want to try Narrator with the program.  I don't have Windows 10 and I don't know how well Narrator works with the program.

I have this problem constantly. It is so bad now that I cannot use any
folder other than the one that is open.

For another problem, my computer was recently reset (office 365 and NVDA
were both among the programs reinstalled. This reset has allowed my
computer to finally get creators update (1703)). The problem with Outlook
is at it's worst.
Cindy

On August 30, 2017 1:21:20 AM "laura cornwell" <cornwelll627@...> wrote:

> Well  I am having the same trouble   and I don't know where this could
> be coming from  I would also like to know  now when I use the screen
> reader that
>

> comes with Windows  outlook works fine. all the best to fixing this
> trouble.    On 8/25/2017 5:31 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:
>> I have Outlook 2007 and it works fine with NVDA until I try to read the
>> status bar using NVDA+end when Outlook stops working and I have to restart
>> it.  This has occurred in quite a few versions of NVDA up to 17.2.  I'm not
>> saying it's an NVDA problem, it may be something to do with the interaction
>> between the information exposed by Outlook and how NVDA obtains it whichh
>> causes it.  I doubt MS would do anything  to solve it, so I just avoid
>> using that keystroke.
>>
>> Cheers#
>>
>> Chris

Sarah k Alawami

I use apple mail and sometimes I have 5 views each with different folders open as often I forget what I'm doing or I'm at work doing my small business. It's cool but a resource hog if you are not careful.

On Sep 4, 2017, at 9:04 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

How important is opening multiple folders?  To my knowledge, I've never used a program that allows me to have to, three, or more folders opened.  Many e-mail programs allow you to see all messages aggregated from the same folder in different accounts.  For example, if you want to see all inbox messages from every inbox folder in your machine and you have three accounts, there is an aggregate folder that shows all inbox messages in one place.

I have this problem constantly. It is so bad now that I cannot use any
folder other than the one that is open.

For another problem, my computer was recently reset (office 365 and NVDA
were both among the programs reinstalled. This reset has allowed my
computer to finally get creators update (1703)). The problem with Outlook
is at it's worst.
Cindy

On August 30, 2017 1:21:20 AM "laura cornwell" <cornwelll627@...> wrote:

> Well  I am having the same trouble   and I don't know where this could
> be coming from  I would also like to know  now when I use the screen
> reader that
>

> comes with Windows  outlook works fine. all the best to fixing this
> trouble.    On 8/25/2017 5:31 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:
>> I have Outlook 2007 and it works fine with NVDA until I try to read the
>> status bar using NVDA+end when Outlook stops working and I have to restart
>> it.  This has occurred in quite a few versions of NVDA up to 17.2.  I'm not
>> saying it's an NVDA problem, it may be something to do with the interaction
>> between the information exposed by Outlook and how NVDA obtains it whichh
>> causes it.  I doubt MS would do anything  to solve it, so I just avoid
>> using that keystroke.
>>
>> Cheers#
>>
>> Chris

There seems to be a reply a bit back as this is on the problem with Outlook thread it seems. Look at the remote thread.
I understand now I've read that and also spoke to some geeks in virgin who say exposing your machine in this way is not good which I guess these days is fair comment.

On Sep 4, 2017, at 9:04 AM, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

[...]

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie <mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie>

Gene

I don't know anything about Apple Mail.  Is it just an apple program or does it have a Windows version?

Gene
I use apple mail and sometimes I have 5 views each with different folders open as often I forget what I'm doing or I'm at work doing my small business. It's cool but a resource hog if you are not careful.
On Sep 4, 2017, at 9:04 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

How important is opening multiple folders?  To my knowledge, I've never used a program that allows me to have to, three, or more folders opened.  Many e-mail programs allow you to see all messages aggregated from the same folder in different accounts.  For example, if you want to see all inbox messages from every inbox folder in your machine and you have three accounts, there is an aggregate folder that shows all inbox messages in one place.

I have this problem constantly. It is so bad now that I cannot use any
folder other than the one that is open.

For another problem, my computer was recently reset (office 365 and NVDA
were both among the programs reinstalled. This reset has allowed my
computer to finally get creators update (1703)). The problem with Outlook
is at it's worst.
Cindy

On August 30, 2017 1:21:20 AM "laura cornwell" <cornwelll627@...> wrote:

> Well  I am having the same trouble   and I don't know where this could
> be coming from  I would also like to know  now when I use the screen
> reader that
>

> comes with Windows  outlook works fine. all the best to fixing this
> trouble.    On 8/25/2017 5:31 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:
>> I have Outlook 2007 and it works fine with NVDA until I try to read the
>> status bar using NVDA+end when Outlook stops working and I have to restart
>> it.  This has occurred in quite a few versions of NVDA up to 17.2.  I'm not
>> saying it's an NVDA problem, it may be something to do with the interaction
>> between the information exposed by Outlook and how NVDA obtains it whichh
>> causes it.  I doubt MS would do anything  to solve it, so I just avoid
>> using that keystroke.
>>
>> Cheers#
>>
>> Chris

No it does not, but that's another mail program that  can open more than one view or se of folders at the same time.  Someone asked why you would want to do that, that's why and that's how I do said task. Thunder bird might be able to do this maybe not. I don't use mail on windows, hate it.

Take care

On Sep 5, 2017, at 10:50 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I don't know anything about Apple Mail.  Is it just an apple program or does it have a Windows version?

Gene
I use apple mail and sometimes I have 5 views each with different folders open as often I forget what I'm doing or I'm at work doing my small business. It's cool but a resource hog if you are not careful.
On Sep 4, 2017, at 9:04 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

How important is opening multiple folders?  To my knowledge, I've never used a program that allows me to have to, three, or more folders opened.  Many e-mail programs allow you to see all messages aggregated from the same folder in different accounts.  For example, if you want to see all inbox messages from every inbox folder in your machine and you have three accounts, there is an aggregate folder that shows all inbox messages in one place.

I have this problem constantly. It is so bad now that I cannot use any
folder other than the one that is open.

For another problem, my computer was recently reset (office 365 and NVDA
were both among the programs reinstalled. This reset has allowed my
computer to finally get creators update (1703)). The problem with Outlook
is at it's worst.
Cindy

On August 30, 2017 1:21:20 AM "laura cornwell" <cornwelll627@...> wrote:

> Well  I am having the same trouble   and I don't know where this could
> be coming from  I would also like to know  now when I use the screen
> reader that
>

> comes with Windows  outlook works fine. all the best to fixing this
> trouble.    On 8/25/2017 5:31 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:
>> I have Outlook 2007 and it works fine with NVDA until I try to read the
>> status bar using NVDA+end when Outlook stops working and I have to    restart
>> it.  This has occurred in quite a few versions of NVDA up to 17.2.  I'm not
>> saying it's an NVDA problem, it may be something to do with the interaction
>> between the information exposed by Outlook and how NVDA obtains it whichh
>> causes it.  I doubt MS would do anything  to solve it, so I just avoid
>> using that keystroke.
>>
>> Cheers#
>>
>> Chris

Hi Cindy

I hear you. I do need to refer to messages and do need to switch folders and have things open in Outlook. I have said on other threads that upgrading to insider builds of Office has helped a bit with the problem. However, the problem remains a frequent one. The only cure is a reboot of my computer. I did test with narrator once and found that the problem occurs with it as well so it may be an Office problem.

Pranav

slery <slerythema@...>

I am going to give Thunderbird a try.
Cindy