a good program for reading pdf files

Bobby Vinton <vinton.bobby5277@...>

hay I was wondering if any of you know of a good program for reading and opening PDF files.  I don't know if adobe still works or if you have to pay for it.  Just let me know.

Roger Stewart

The Adobe Reader is still around and is still free. I also like PDF2txt as well.

Roger

On 8/26/2017 1:28 PM, Bobby Vinton wrote:
hay I was wondering if any of you know of a good program for reading and opening PDF files. I don't know if adobe still works or if you have to pay for it. Just let me know.

Chris Mullins

Acrobat Reader DC is very good,it's free and they have put some effort into accessibility.

Cheers
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bobby Vinton
Sent: 26 August 2017 19:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] a good program for reading pdf files

hay I was wondering if any of you know of a good program for reading and opening PDF files. I don't know if adobe still works or if you have to pay for it. Just let me know.

Adobe dc works still for free.

There are a lot of cloud apps now days for adobe the reader is still the reader.

codex still exists and balabolka.

Technically ocr software like abbyy 14 works but I never got it to be accessible in that reguard.

On 27/08/2017 6:28 a.m., Bobby Vinton wrote:
hay I was wondering if any of you know of a good program for reading and opening PDF files.  I don't know if adobe still works or if you have to pay for it.  Just let me know.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Adobe reader is still free.
Its not so much the reading of them that is the main issue, its the attitude and knowledge of those making pdfs that has to change.
All too often files are untagged for changes in reading order, say when different numbers of columns exist through the document or in some cases people simply scan in a picture of text and make the whole pdf an unreadable document without eyes, and often its so badly scanned that OCR makes it into Klingon.

If you want a text based pdf reader, you could do far worse than the one on the webbie web site. It just works. It has no way to correct for the madness of the file creator though....
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2017 7:28 PM

Sam Bushman

I use DocuScan Plus.
It wil do OCR on the fly and seems to work quite well.
Sam

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2017 3:14 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] a good program for reading pdf files

Its not so much the reading of them that is the main issue, its the attitude and knowledge of those making pdfs that has to change.
All too often files are untagged for changes in reading order, say when different numbers of columns exist through the document or in some cases people simply scan in a picture of text and make the whole pdf an unreadable document without eyes, and often its so badly scanned that OCR makes it into Klingon.

If you want a text based pdf reader, you could do far worse than the one on the webbie web site. It just works. It has no way to correct for the madness of the file creator though....
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message -----

hay I was wondering if any of you know of a good program for reading and
opening PDF files. I don't know if adobe still works or if you have to pay
for it. Just let me know.

Lino Morales

Nope Adobe DC is still free. Happy downloading.

On 8/26/2017 2:28 PM, Bobby Vinton wrote:

hi.
i recommend to try google chrome, firefox and balabolka.
i change my pdfs to txt using firefox.
i select all of my documents, copy them and peist to a new document,
then save as txt or other formats.
God bless you and hope that help.

On 8/27/17, Lino Morales <linomorales001@gmail.com> wrote:
Nope Adobe DC is still free. Happy downloading.

On 8/26/2017 2:28 PM, Bobby Vinton wrote:
hay I was wondering if any of you know of a good program for reading
and opening PDF files.  I don't know if adobe still works or if you
have to pay for it.  Just let me know.

--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org

What really gets me is that a little while ago I was envolved in an adobe test group where adobe showed off all the accessible things pdfs can do, it could be the new flash if people wrote for them.

And for the most part tagging asside its fine even with protection but to many write them stupidly or use things like pagemaker which doesn't work and then there are scanned pdfs which just don't work.

And for the person with abbyy try updating it maybe there is one.

On 27/08/2017 9:14 a.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

If you want a text based pdf reader, you could do far worse than the one on the webbie web site. It just works. It has no way to correct for the madness of the  file creator though....
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bobby Vinton" <vinton.bobby5277@gmail.com>

Dejan Ristic

You do not have to pay for it.

Here is the link to it:

www.adobe.com

When you open the site, find a link called Acrobat DC. Click on it, and you will get to the download page of the above mentioned programme.

Friend, I've just found it for you:

https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

On 8/26/2017 8:28 PM, Bobby Vinton wrote:

Domingos de Oliveira <domingos20000@...>

I'm teaching people how to make PDFs accessible. It's rather complicated and expensive. I think, Adobe did't do a good job. It has to be much easier.

Am 27.08.2017 um 08:40 schrieb Shaun Everiss:

What really gets me is that a little while ago I was envolved in an adobe test group where adobe showed off all the accessible things pdfs can do, it could be the new flash if people wrote for them.

And for the most part tagging asside its fine even with protection but to many write them stupidly or use things like pagemaker which doesn't work and then there are scanned pdfs which just don't work.

And for the person with abbyy try updating it maybe there is one.

On 27/08/2017 9:14 a.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bobby Vinton" <vinton.bobby5277@gmail.com>

--
Domingos de Oliveira
Accessibility-Consultant/Online-Redaktion
Karthäuserstr. 13
53129 Bonn
Tel: 0176 322 45 129
Mail: domingos20000@googlemail.com
Web: www.oliveira-online.net

Giles Turnbull

PDF is a convenient format when I ask publishers if I can buy an electronic copy of whatever book I want to read, assuming it's not on any of the blind libraries I have access to. I don't however like PDF as a format for reading books ....  mostly because I don't really know whether I can do things like add bookmarks for where I'm up to, but also because I find the keyboard shortcuts for next page and previous page tend to bhehave quite erratically.

Acrobat Reader DC has an option in the file menu to save as text, which works but sometimes makes a mess of the layout.

I purchased a copy of ABBYY 12 and find that my best option for converting to a plain text file. I use the new task / open PDF or image and OCR the text into Word. Because I don't enjoy reading a whole book in Word any more than I do in Acrobat, I then copy all the text in the Word doc and pop it into a plain .txt file. That way I can read as much as I like and use character combinations like zzz immediately before a chapter heading, or xxx as a marker of something else that I want to be able to easily find. Then it's just a question of using NVDA+CTRL+F, or CTRL+F in Notepad, to find the text, heading up or down,. The hanbdy part of this is that you can jump to the bottom of the text and search for whichever marker you used, and the first one you come to searching form bottom to top, is the point at which you stopped reading.

I am going to give that PDF2txt program a try, because that'd speed the conversion up a bit if it works as well as ABBYY OCRing. Obviously the benefit with ABBYY is also when, as previously mentioned, a PDF book can comprise photos of each page, or sometimes the publisher has sent it to you security protected, in which case you can't use Adobe to save the file as txt, but ABBYY will be able to convert it into Word / txt format with relatively few letter corrections needed, such as the capital letter I being misidentified as the number 1.I came across a very curious one the other day which took me an age to figure out ... ABBYY thought there was a word 'ori' and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what that was supposed to be! It turned out, with sighted assistance, to be the word 'on'!

Hope this helps :)

Giles