Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop

Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@...>

Hi,

I tried to install NVDA17.3 on my HP laptop and although I could
download the new version without any difficulty and also after
clicking to install it when I got the message to do so the configuring
progress went on and on for at least 20 minutes and after that I got
an error message saying that the installation failed. I tried the
same thing three times with the same result. Could someone please
enlighten me as to what is happening and how I could remedy the same.

Incidentally I had no problem updating NVDA on my second laptop which
is an Asus. Both laptops are running Win 10 duly updated to the
latest version. On the second laptop the installation took only a few
minutes and there was no problem at all.

I give below the log I received for the installation failure. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Akbar

Log for failure:
INFO - __main__ (10:41:42.874):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.140):
Config dir: C:\Users\Akbar\AppData\Roaming\nvda
INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (10:41:43.140):
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
NVDA version 2017.3
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
Using Windows version 10.0.15063 workstation
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
Using Python version 2.7.13 (v2.7.13:a06454b1afa1, Dec 17 2016,
20:42:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
Using comtypes version 0.6.2
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (10:41:43.940):
Loaded synthDriver eloquence
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.940):
Using wx version 3.0.2.0 msw (classic)
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (10:41:43.940):
Braille input initialized
INFO - braille.initialize (10:41:43.940):
Using liblouis version 3.2.0
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (10:41:43.940):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
WARNING - core.main (10:41:43.994):
Java Access Bridge not available
INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (10:41:43.994):
UIAutomation: IUIAutomation3
INFO - core.main (10:41:45.861):
NVDA initialized
ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (11:26:41.197):
Failed to execute installer
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gui\installerGui.pyo", line 32, in doInstall
File "config\__init__.pyo", line 182, in execElevated
File "shellapi.pyo", line 42, in ShellExecuteEx
WindowsError: [Error 1223] The operation was canceled by the user.
ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (11:26:41.198):
Installation failed: [Error 1223] The operation was canceled by the user.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Have you tried running as administrator. You do not say what the type of account you have on this laptop allows you to do. Can is install other software without any issues?
I noticed Eloquence in there. Does this mean that there is already a copy of nvda with that synth set on the computer already?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Quentin Christensen

When you go to install a program, Windows pops up a dialog advising that you are about to change the system and you need to accept that before you can install the program.  Sometimes this dialog appears behind other windows.  In that case, you may need to alt+tab to it if it doesn't seem to appear.

That is usually the reason for this kind of problem.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@...>

No problem installing any other software including MS Office and
others. Yes I have Eloquence for NVDA running on both laptops with no
problem.
Thanks,

Akbar

[...]

I got no such notification on either of the laptops. Anyway I will
try your suggestion tomorrow as I am travelling now. Will get back to
you after that with the result.

Thanks,

Akbar

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@...>

I retried the update with the same result and installation failed.
The update downloaded fine and then stated that my existing copy would
be updated and asked me to click OK which I did. After that I keep
getting a message saying "please wait-your existing copy of NVDA is
being updated" and this goes on repeating with simultaneous beeps
indefinitely untill finally it says that the update installation
failed. How do I get over this problem? Should I remove the existing
copy of NVDA and install a fresh copy from scratch?

Alternatively, is it possible to make a portable copy from my other
laptop which has a proper working version and try to reinstall from
that? In that case if it is possible, then I would be spared from
reconfiguring NVDA all over again to suit my needs.
Thanks,
Akbar

wrote:

[...]

David Moore

Hi!

You asked the following!

Alternatively, is it possible to make a portable copy from my other

laptop which has a proper working version and try to reinstall from

that?  In that case if it is possible, then I would be spared from

reconfiguring NVDA all over again to suit my needs.

Thanks,

Akbar

The answer is a resounding yes. That is a great idea, and I have done that before.

Good luck with that! That is what I would do!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 8/29/17, Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@...> wrote:

> I got no such notification on either of the laptops.  Anyway I will

> try your suggestion tomorrow as I am travelling now.  Will get back to

> you after that with the result.

> Thanks,

> Akbar

> On 8/29/17, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

>> When you go to install a program, Windows pops up a dialog advising that

>> you are about to change the system and you need to accept that before you

>> can install the program.  Sometimes this dialog appears behind other

>> windows.  In that case, you may need to alt+tab to it if it doesn't seem

>> appear.

>> That is usually the reason for this kind of problem.

>> Regards

>> Quentin.

>> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@...>

>> wrote:

>>> Hi,

>>> I tried to install NVDA17.3 on my HP laptop and although I could

>>> download the new version without any difficulty and also after

>>> clicking to install it when I got the message to do so the configuring

>>> progress went on and on for at least 20 minutes and after that I got

>>> an error message saying that the installation failed.  I tried the

>>> same thing three times with the same result.  Could someone please

>>> enlighten me as to what is happening and how I could remedy the same.

>>> Incidentally I had no problem updating NVDA on my second laptop which

>>> is an Asus.  Both laptops are running Win 10 duly updated to the

>>> latest version.  On the second laptop the installation took only a few

>>> minutes and there was no problem at all.

>>> I give below the log I received for the installation failure.  Any

>>> help would be greatly appreciated.

>>> Thanks and regards,

>>> Akbar

>>> Log for failure:

>>> INFO - __main__ (10:41:42.874):

>>> Starting NVDA

>>> INFO - core.main (10:41:43.140):

>>> Config dir: C:\Users\Akbar\AppData\Roaming\nvda

>>> INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (10:41:43.140):

>>> INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):

>>> NVDA version 2017.3

>>> INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):

>>> Using Windows version 10.0.15063 workstation

>>> INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):

>>> Using Python version 2.7.13 (v2.7.13:a06454b1afa1, Dec 17 2016,

>>> 20:42:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]

>>> INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):

>>> Using comtypes version 0.6.2

>>> INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (10:41:43.940):

>>> Loaded synthDriver eloquence

>>> INFO - core.main (10:41:43.940):

>>> Using wx version 3.0.2.0 msw (classic)

>>> INFO - brailleInput.initialize (10:41:43.940):

>>> Braille input initialized

>>> INFO - braille.initialize (10:41:43.940):

>>> Using liblouis version 3.2.0

>>> INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (10:41:43.940):

>>> Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.

>>> WARNING - core.main (10:41:43.994):

>>> Java Access Bridge not available

>>> INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (10:41:43.994):

>>> UIAutomation: IUIAutomation3

>>> INFO - core.main (10:41:45.861):

>>> NVDA initialized

>>> ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (11:26:41.197):

>>> Failed to execute installer

>>> Traceback (most recent call last):

>>>   File "gui\installerGui.pyo", line 32, in doInstall

>>>   File "config\__init__.pyo", line 182, in execElevated

>>>   File "shellapi.pyo", line 42, in ShellExecuteEx

>>> WindowsError: [Error 1223] The operation was canceled by the user.

>>> ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (11:26:41.198):

>>> Installation failed: [Error 1223] The operation was canceled by the

>>> user.

>> --

>> Quentin Christensen

>> Training and Support Manager

>> Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available:

>> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306

>> www.nvaccess.org

>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess

>> Twitter: @NVAccess

Hmmm did you try to alt tab a few times.

Sometimes I get a uac prompt, usually it pops up but if I for example have more than a couple windows open then it may be hidden.

The trick is to know how long something should take to download and if you heard the completed sound or think it should be well should be, then you need to alt tab.

On the other hand, the other way you can handle this is download the main exe file, close everything window wise and run that.

wrote:

[...]

.

Austin Pinto <austinpinto.xaviers@...>

hi.
this may be caused by an old version of elequence.
before you update switch to espeak then upgrade and then switch back.
also do a restart of your laptop.
i dont mean shutdown and restart.
i mean a full restart.

wrote:

[...]

available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

.

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes make a portable version and see what happens when its run on the new machine. that would be my first step.
As its been running I'd suggest something is corrupted myself, though its pretty good at spotting .ini file issues mixed up versions of files or locked files often defeat the installer, I've noticed.
At least if you keep ap a portable version with all the right settings set, you should if it won't install from that copy, be able to do a total removal and use the portable version to do a clean install. I've done this only yesterday, in fact on xp after the bun fight over the installer crash in xp.

wrote:

[...]

I think from reading the thread he has been down this route already. I think he has a locked file in the nvda folder, maybe due to corruption, who knows.

wrote:

[...]

I've not noticed this on any of the legal Eloquence drivers, even the old sapi 4 one called via voice. I agree that old hacked one was rubbish but anyone using that still would probably have no hair left by now. smiley.

wrote:

[...]

Gene

Via Voice isn't Eloquence.  it is similar in sound and performance, but it isn't the same program and isn't owned by the same entity.

Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:05 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> this may be caused by an old version of elequence.
> before you update switch to espeak then upgrade and then switch back.
> also do a restart of your laptop.
> i dont mean shutdown and restart.
> i mean a full restart.
>
> On 8/31/17, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm did you try to alt tab a few times.
>>
>> Sometimes I get a uac prompt, usually it pops up but if I for example
>> have more than a couple windows open then it may be hidden.
>>
>> The trick is to know how long something should take to download and if
>> you heard the completed sound or think it should be well should be, then
>> you need to alt tab.
>>
>> On the other hand, the other way you can handle this is download the
>> main exe file, close everything window wise and run that.
>>

>> On 31/08/2017 6:39 p.m., Akbar S. Currim wrote:
>>> I retried the update with the same result and installation failed.
>>> The update downloaded fine and then stated that my existing copy would
>>> be updated and asked me to click OK which I did.  After that I keep
>>> getting a message saying "please wait-your existing copy of NVDA is
>>> being updated" and this goes on repeating with simultaneous beeps
>>> indefinitely untill finally it says that the update installation
>>> failed.  How do I get over this problem?  Should I remove the existing
>>> copy of NVDA and install a fresh copy from scratch?
>>>
>>> Alternatively, is it possible to make a portable copy from my other
>>> laptop which has a proper working version and try to reinstall from
>>> that?  In that case if it is possible, then I would be spared from
>>> reconfiguring NVDA all over again to suit my needs.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Akbar

>>> .
>>>

> --
> search for me on facebook, google+, orkut..
> austinpinto.xaviers@...
> follow me on twitter.
> austinmpinto
> contact me on skype.
> austin.pinto3

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well entity?
It sounds exactly like it even to the lisp!
I got mine on an old cd called Home Page reader by IBM it was a freebie. Goes back a very long way!

wrote:

[...]

I said entity because I have no idea who owns it now.  It's probably a company but since I didn't know, I said entity.

Gene

Via Voice isn't Eloquence.  it is similar in sound and performance, but it
isn't the same program and isn't owned by the same entity.

> this may be caused by an old version of elequence.
> before you update switch to espeak then upgrade and then switch back.
> also do a restart of your laptop.
> i dont mean shutdown and restart.
> i mean a full restart.
>
> On 8/31/17, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm did you try to alt tab a few times.
>>
>> Sometimes I get a uac prompt, usually it pops up but if I for example
>> have more than a couple windows open then it may be hidden.
>>
>> The trick is to know how long something should take to download and if
>> you heard the completed sound or think it should be well should be, then
>> you need to alt tab.
>>
>> On the other hand, the other way you can handle this is download the
>> main exe file, close everything window wise and run that.
>>

>> On 31/08/2017 6:39 p.m., Akbar S. Currim wrote:
>>> I retried the update with the same result and installation failed.
>>> The update downloaded fine and then stated that my existing copy would
>>> be updated and asked me to click OK which I did.  After that I keep
>>> getting a message saying "please wait-your existing copy of NVDA is
>>> being updated" and this goes on repeating with simultaneous beeps
>>> indefinitely untill finally it says that the update installation
>>> failed.  How do I get over this problem?  Should I remove the existing
>>> copy of NVDA and install a fresh copy from scratch?
>>>
>>> Alternatively, is it possible to make a portable copy from my other
>>> laptop which has a proper working version and try to reinstall from
>>> that?  In that case if it is possible, then I would be spared from
>>> reconfiguring NVDA all over again to suit my needs.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Akbar

>>> .
>>>

> --
> search for me on facebook, google+, orkut..
> austinpinto.xaviers@...
> follow me on twitter.
> austinmpinto
> contact me on skype.
> austin.pinto3

Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@...>

The Eloquence which I have is quite recent and it is also installed on
my second laptop on which I had no problem updating. The "alt-tab"
method has tried by me several times and makes no difference.
Besides, when the updated version of NVDA finishes downloading it
automatically says that the download is complete and it will now
update the existing version of NVDA. with the negative result already
explained So I think I will just go ahead and make a portable version
from my proper working NVDA from my second laptop and install it from
there. I have not had any time as yet to do that but maybe I will get
down to doing it over the weekend.
Thanks,
Akbar

wrote:

[...]

hello.
did you try nvda without eloquence?
by default, it only has espeak and i dont think that the problem
relates to eloquence.

also, system requirements for nvda 17.2 and 17.3 are the same.

wrote:

[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It could just be that something like an anti virus has updated since the old install and also it could be that new code in the latest nvda is only now falling foul of malware filtering. Normally such programs would tell you though, unless its a message which is inaccessible of course.

It would really need a sighted person with hands on the machine to solve it I think. Its going to be something really annoyingly simple I'm sure.

wrote:

[...]

You are brilliant. Being unable to install even from a portable copy
I asked my sighted son to take a look at it. Apparently a window was
opening which was completely inaccessible which was asking to confirm
to allow to install the programme which I was not aware of. When he
(my son) clicked to allow it and then the installation went through
without a hitch.

Thanks to all and sorry for the bother.

Akbar

wrote:

[...]

Blame Windows silly screens that need admin rights to read their messages. In my opinion, for access the message thrown up by this window should be accessible, after all its no security risk unless you get at the code that sent it. seems stupid.