NVDA or Firefox issue

Giles Turnbull

I read a couple of threads on here about issues with Firefox and I wonder if anybody has any idea what might be going on with my NVDA / Firefox situation.

My Firefox updated to 55.0.3 (32-bit) yesterday, and I updated to NVDA 17.3 earlier this week. The problem began occuring prior to this, maybe two months ago, however, so it's not directly caused by either upgrade.

I use gmail in its basic view setting, and most of the time it works perfectly. But occasionaly it's started, when I hit enter to open a message, it throws me out into a tab about 8 tabs further away. The tab it moves me to is for a Masters degree program that I want to apply for next year, so I can't figure out any connection between my gmail tab and that one! The tab in question is http://www.swansea.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/applyingforamastersdegree/

It is always that tab, and it doesn't matter if I've opened other tabs between gmail and that tab, like tonight I've got an additional two Blind Mice Mega Mall tabs open ... it's always dropping me into the Masters info tab.

I also can't figure out why it's only occasional emails that do this. Most open fine when I hit enter, and I stay on the email page, from where I press the number 2 a couple of times to navigate down to the message Heading 2, but the times it throws me out of the tab there aren't any level 2 headings on that page!

Would love any suggestions if anybody has experienced anything similar. I do currently have 36 tabs open in Firefox,if that has any bearing on the matter.

Thanks,

Giles

hello.
i could not completely understand the problem.
but if some tabs open for you unwantedly, maybe its an unwanted
toolbar or addware, that maybe is harmful for your system.
i recommend that set firefox to the its default settings, check your
firewall and see if one unwanted software is connected to the internet
and block it.
then again make and use your desire settings in your firefox.
please read this article about maintaining privacy and security of
browsers and share it with other people.

https://www.veracode.com/blog/2013/03/browser-security-settings-for-chrome-firefox-and-internet-explorer

On 8/31/17, Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@...> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account

I think maybe you just have too many tabs open. One assumes if focus lags and that tab comes to the fore for whatever reason, it could be that you interact with it, rather than the other one Personally any more than five open gives me a headache. I tend to just use bookmarks and let the page load if I'm not interested in itall the time. to me Tabs are for things you want to keep an eye on so to speak.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:40 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA or Firefox issue

[...]

Arlene

Hi, speaking of Firefox. I'm using windows 7. Latest build of NVDA. Latest build of firefox. I also have Jaws 14 witch I don’t use much. I used it while doing my online banking using Firefox. It got slightly laggy. Just so you know.

[...]

/ (
http://www.swansea.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/applyingforamastersdegree
/ )

[...]

thanks nasrin, but it's not opening any new tabs, just jumping me over to one of my other open tabs. Brian may well be right that I just have too many open! They are all tabs that I currently need to keep an eye on, so to speak. They are a mixture of information that I need as I prepare my Masters application, my social media (Twitter-related and FB), and numerous poetry submissions and competitions that I'm preparing documents for, so they are all 'active' which it's easier to find as an open tab rather than naviogating up and down the bookmarks list every time I want to look back over the info. I've been a huge fan of tabbed browsers ever since the Netcaptor shell for IE, that introduced tabs back in 1995, long before the likes of Opera, Netscape and IE followed suit ... I guess I just got accustomed to haveing a multitude of tabs open! To be fair, apart from the slow process of each tab having to load as I open Firefox and select re-open last browsing session, I don't find Firefox slows down any great extent by having 36 tabs open :)

Gene

For sighted people it makes sense that some people might want a lot of tabs opened.  they can see and immediately click on any tab they want to move to.  Blind people can't do that as a practical matter.  I agree with use of bookmarks, especially with the Firefox book marks feature that allows you to search for any book mark quickly and conveniently.

If you have enough site to work with bookmarks and a mouse, this message doesn't apply to you.  But the more book marks you have set to open automatically as home pages, the longer it takes the browser to open each time you close it because it has to open every tab you have set as a home page every time.

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:40 PM

[...]

How much memory has your computer got and are you using the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Firefox?
Might be wise for me to say that 4 gigs is definitely slow compared to 8 when you start opening tabs, escpecially if javascript is active on a fair number of them.
Also some people say the 64 bit version is more capable, but have never tried it as I don't think I would open more than about four on a session.