Important announcement: NVDA 2017.3 is the last version to support Windows versions prior to 7 and Server 2008 R2 service pack 1

Dear NVDA community:

If you are using one of the following Windows versions, please read the following statement from NV Access (just published):

  • Windows XP
  • Windows Server 2003
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows Server 2008
  • Windows 7 without service pack 1

The announcement link:

https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-4-drops-support-for-older-operating-systems/

Background: for a number of years, NV Access and other developers received tons of reports about browse mode not being available when you restart NVDA while using Firefox and some browsers. NV Access wrote a fix for it, but it used a routine not found in older operating systems (specifically, Windows XP). Porting the new routine is costly, especially when developers cannot guarantee that it’ll work for everyone. Because the fix impacts many people, coupled with the support status of the Windows versions listed above, coupled with the fact that Firefox and some popular programs ended support for old Windows releases (including some screen readers), NV Access has decided to end support for old Windows releases with NVDA 2017.3. 2017.3 will still be made available for download for people who need to use old Windows versions.

Thus, the following advisory from the community is in effect:

  • If you are using Windows versions listed above, turn off automatic NVDA updates (NVDA menu/Preferences/General, then uncheck the update checkbox).
  • For those using some add-ons, read follow-up advisories regarding support for old Windows releases from add-ons from add-on writers (for those using add-ons such as Resource Monitor, I will publish an advisory next week).

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Arlene

[...]

Bhavya shah

Hi Arlene,
I believe entering 'winver' in the Run dialog should present the
required information.
Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Austin Pinto <austinpinto.xaviers@...>

yes.
but havent used 7 in a long long time almost 4 years so forgot if it
truly does that.
however it does.
if you type winver in the run dialog and if it says build 6701 or
something it was an 01 build then you have sp1.
if it says 00 in the last 2 digits then no sp1

On 8/31/17, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Stephen

Oh well, I guess I'll have to upgrade to w7 fully now.
It was fun while it lasted.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I did point out to Mick that this has been handled badly, as I seem to have been the first to encounter a complete bricking of an xp machine. Its not so much that I mind it happening myself, as obviously we all see fewer and fewer pieces of software allowing use on XP/Vista, but to me, before the pointer had been moved, it should have been [publicised, Indeed, it would have been best to only move Next.
I wonder if there is perhaps some leeway here?
For example, the last Master to support XP could be made into the last version supporting it via some subtle name change, ie nvda20017.3XP, which would be the very last one for xp and kept separate.
Of course if anyone out there with a significant investment in keeping nvda going on XP etc, wanted to make special versions, then I'm assuming that would be fine as long as they themselves handled any security and other reliability and translation issues.
Similarly, add ons that will still run on old versions should be flagged. I'm quite happy if pointed at the right links to test things in XP machines.
Of course this also means that the later versions of NVDA will probably not have the switch that allows them to run on old processors that do not have the sse2 instruction set either.
Could I also ask that versions of snaps running on xp, ie if somebody tries to download one that may not work, be made to just display a message?
The current crash may well brick the machine as it kind of locks things up with no speech till you can get rid of the error box.
Spotting this in the loader should be possible???

Just a few ideas.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Normally if its been kept up to date it should have had it, either via updates or via a patch file they put out ages ago, indeed, both my home and pro machines say that its sp1 on the actual installation media itself.
[...]

Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

So it does work fine.
[...]

Well I'm going to have to keep my clunkers on xp, since they are too slow, but basically the current version of nvda is now very capable indeed so its not such a loss. I'll probably get thae last master or next snap that will still work and stop updates there.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Oh well, I guess I'll have to upgrade to w7 fully now.
It was fun while it lasted.

hi joseph.
its a very very bad news for me.
do you mean that nvda 2017.3 is the last version that xp users can use?
i realy cant understand why continue support of xp, may cause browse
mode not available for people who use firefox!
can you explane me about this?
but please explane me in simple sentences that i can easy understand.
thanks so much.

Well I'm going to have to keep my clunkers on xp, since they are too slow,
but basically the current version of nvda is now very capable indeed so its

not such a loss. I'll probably get thae last master or next snap that will
still work and stop updates there.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
to support Windows versions prior to 7 and Server 2008 R2 service pack 1

Oh well, I guess I'll have to upgrade to w7 fully now.
It was fun while it lasted.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Antony Stone

Yes, this means that NVDA 2017.3 is the last version which will run under
Windows XP.

The browse mode problem is not the only reason for NV Access deciding to stop
putting effort into making NVDA compatible with an operating system which ended
mainstream support from Microsoft in 2009 and extended support in 2014.

Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP, and plenty of current software will
not run under Windows XP. Firefox support for XP stopped at version 52 (March
2017) for example.

It is a significant security risk to continue using Windows XP.

If you do want to continue using XP, NVDA 2017.3 will continue to run and will
continue to be available if people want to reinstall it, but higher versions
of NVDA will require features which are only present in later versions of
Windows.

NVDA is open source software, so if enough people think an XP version should
continue to be developed there is nothing to stop anyone from pursuing this as
a forked project, but I personally think it is better for the core developers
to focus their efforts on writing for supported operating systems and current
machines than being held back by being limited to what XP can do.

Regards,

Antony.