Github

Gene

I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site.  I haven't signed up yet but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I assume is what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket.  But many people may find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page, instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps also how to search for tickets and how to create an account?  If tickets are desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be somehow explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create tickets will be likely to see the explanation.

Gene

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I asked this some time ago, and Jamie sent me some stuff. There is now a new issues link and also a search field, but I've never found the search to be very intuitive and I suspect this is why so many duplicate issues get filed.

Quinton sent me this also.
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues -
there is a search edit on that page you can type your query in to see if
there's an existing issue (open or closed, though note it will only show
open issues at first by default) which deals with what you are looking for.

To post a new issue, there should be a "new issue" button on most pages.
Activating that will take you here:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/new with the main components being
a title edit and a "leave a comment" edit where you can describe your issue
in detail.

However recently some guidelines are now in there for fields that prompt you to give useful information as well.

One thing that I do not like about it is that it does not send an email to you even if you are subscribed to its list, you only see others comments. However when you reply via email, you really do need to edit off quoted stuff as otherwise looking at the issue on line gets very confused. I occasionally forget myself. Also, it won't send you back these emails either.
I am not sure who came up with this rule but its bonkers if you use the email list to know where you are, as to see your own comments you either need to find it in your own sent folder or go to the website.
Anyway, I've had my say.
Problems? Well...
The biggest issue I had was creating the account in the first place and getting past all the stuff that is just not relevant.

You can attach files, but thus far I've not made this work!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site. I haven't signed up yet but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I assume is what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket. But many people may find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page, instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps also how to search for tickets and how to create an account? If tickets are desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be somehow explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create tickets will be likely to see the explanation.

What are pull requests?

Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 7:15 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Github

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site.  I haven't signed up yet
but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I assume is
what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket.  But many people may
find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help
information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page,
instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps
also how to search for tickets and how to create an account?  If tickets are
desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be somehow
explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create tickets will
be likely to see the explanation.

Gene

Patrick ZAJDA

Hi Gene,

Pull requests are code contribution from another Github repos.
You fork the NVDA git repos on your Github account, make your code
contribution then submit it by creating a pull request.

It facilitates code merging.

Patrick

Le 03/09/2017 à 15:28, Gene a écrit :
What are pull requests?

[...]

briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting
'Brian Gaff'
I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site. I haven't signed up yet
but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I assume is
what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket. But many people
may
find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help
information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page,
instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps
also how to search for tickets and how to create an account? If tickets
are
desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be somehow
explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create tickets will
be likely to see the explanation.

Then that wouldn't be suitable for opening a ticket that isn't code related.  I'll look for the proper feature, as described by Brian.

Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 8:47 AM

Hi Gene,

Pull requests are code contribution from another Github repos.
You fork the NVDA git repos on your Github account, make your code
contribution then submit it by creating a pull request.

It facilitates code merging.

Patrick

Le 03/09/2017 à 15:28, Gene a écrit :
> What are pull requests?
>
> Gene

Lino Morales

Good point sir. Ive seen Get Hub's pages in the past and its confusing as heck.

On 9/3/2017 7:34 AM, Gene wrote:
I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site.  I haven't signed up yet but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I assume is what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket.  But many people may find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page, instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps also how to search for tickets and how to create an account?  If tickets are desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be somehow explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create tickets will be likely to see the explanation.

Gene

Quentin Christensen

As mentioned, if you want to create a ticket, submit an issue or generally report something that isn't working / could work better / should be implemented etc, what you want to do is create a new issue.  The link to the issues section is https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Unless you are writing code yourself, you can mostly ignore the other sections (code, pull requests, projects, etc).

Ideally, it's worth jumping to the SECOND edit box on that page to search for the issue you want to report.  (the first one searches code and other things, you want to search issues).  So, if someone reported a problem with footnotes in Word 2016 for instance, I'd search for "word 2016 footnotes" or similar in that second edit box.  There are two types of issues, open and closed. Open issues are either new issues that haven't been triaged yet (that is, no one has looked at them to see how serious they are, whether the issue has already been reported etc), or issues which are being worked on, or waiting to be worked on.  Closed issues are issues which have either been fixed, or which are duplicates of other issues, or sometimes things which can't or won't be fixed.  If the problem with footnotes is that you want them to appear at the top of the page for instance, then that isn't something related to NVDA.  That's a feature request for Word itself and you'd need to submit that to Microsoft.

To create a new issue, there is a "new issue" button, you can jump straight there with https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/new

When you create a new issue, there is a block of text in the "comment" prompting you for the kinds of information that are useful in diagnosing the issue.  Please try and include: steps to reproduce the issue, attach any files which might help (eg if Word crashes every time you try and check formatting in this particular file, if you can share it, that would help), what should happen and what actually happens, and your system configuration (Windows version, application version, NVDA version and whether installed or portable), and anything you've done to try and resolve or get more information (eg tried different version of NVDA or other program).  Don't stress if you don't have every piece of that information or if you aren't sure if the issue has been filed before.  When someone goes to triage the issue, they will ask for more information if needed.  If the issue has been filed previously, they will link to it (and likely close the duplicate issue you created).

If you do have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On 9/3/2017 7:34 AM, Gene wrote:
I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site.  I haven't signed up yet but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I assume is what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket.  But many people may find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page, instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps also how to search for tickets and how to create an account?  If tickets are desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be somehow explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create tickets will be likely to see the explanation.

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I don't need to know but I think its when you want to grab the source and mess about with it and either make a new branch or test your fiddlings locally.
I've never tried one. Brian

[...]

So why is it called a pull not a push?
Seems logical to me. :-)
[...]

I think all those addresses were in my last email about this. Also although those extra fields are OK they can make it more complicated if you are not sure if the issue really depends on anything special. The big problem for me at l4east is that I'm not all the time logged into this account and can easily miss a new itemm that is needed to be answered by me. and since the original message and your own submitted bits by email do not generate an email back to you the actual thread in the list gets broken. ideally github should respond every time even from yourself to keep this working.
That is hat I think anyway.
Take this as an example the odd effect I see on some web sites where using k to move through links will sometimes read the text with the first character missing. I don't know whether this is a page authoring issue, an nvda one or a firefox one.
Trying to put that sensibly into a ticket is not as easy as it sounds.

On 9/3/2017 7:34 AM, Gene wrote:

I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site. I haven't signed up
yet but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I assume
is what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket. But many people
may find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help
information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page,
instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps
also how to search for tickets and how to create an account? If tickets
are desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be
somehow explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create
tickets will be likely to see the explanation.

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Patrick ZAJDA

Hi Brian,

It is a pull because the code is pulled from a fork.

Patrick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick ZAJDA via Groups.Io"
<patrick=zajda.fr@groups.io>

[...]

I think I'll give up while I'm losing. and I assume you mean its only a fork cos its a fork off the main run of the code development.

Not a fork as in eating your dinner.
[...]

You surely won't be surprised if I say you suppose right about "fork".
It is another repos which is a copy of the main one. In this repository
you make your modifications and open you pull request for commiters to
pull your modifications to the main NVDA code.

Don't give up :) sure there might be some confusing things but nothing
impossible to understand.

Patrick

Le 04/09/2017 à 18:11, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io a écrit :
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I don't code but I understood github's terms after reading through their manual and about 5 minutes of thinking about it. It actually makes sense.

On Sep 5, 2017, at 2:50 AM, Patrick ZAJDA via Groups.Io <patrick@...> wrote:

[...]

Hmm, well I found it a little like if I were going there, I'd not start from here. I reckon I have a good grasp of English and am not dumb, but...
I'll just ignore what I don't understand, but i still wish it would return emails gto me when i alter an issue instead of hiding it.
[...]

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Quentin,

Thanks for this excellent explanation!

I am being asked to attach the actual text file to a new issue rather than simply pasting in the contents of the log file, for instance . The problem is that I cannot get any option to attach a file when I clicked on the browse button. It would be a great help if you could explain how to attach a file using NVDA.

All the best,

Cearbhall

On 9/3/2017 7:34 AM, Gene wrote:

I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site.  I haven't signed up yet but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I assume is what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket.  But many people may find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page, instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps also how to search for tickets and how to create an account?  If tickets are desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be somehow explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create tickets will be likely to see the explanation.

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Sarah k Alawami

How odd. What shoudl happen si syou hit brows and the file dialogue shoudl appear, it does under safari. Try chrome maybe and see if that works and or firefox or edge?

Good luck.

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

On 9/3/2017 7:34 AM, Gene wrote:
I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site.  I haven't signed up yet but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I assume is what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket.  But many people may find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page, instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps also how to search for tickets and how to create an account?  If tickets are desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be somehow explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create tickets will be likely to see the explanation.

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It did not work in firefox either, I think short fragments of the log in the body are OK its other files that you really need to attach in case they get corrupted.
It seems to me that the browse, um does not browse ..!

On Sep 5, 2017, at 10:21 AM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra <cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie> wrote:

Quentin,

Thanks for this excellent explanation!

I am being asked to attach the actual text file to a new issue rather than simply pasting in the contents of the log file, for instance . The problem is that I cannot get any option to attach a file when I clicked on the “browse” button. It would be a great help if you could explain how to attach a file using NVDA.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie <mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie>

As mentioned, if you want to create a ticket, submit an issue or generally report something that isn't working / could work better / should be implemented etc, what you want to do is create a new issue. The link to the issues section is https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues <https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues>

To create a new issue, there is a "new issue" button, you can jump straight there with https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/new <https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/new>

On 9/3/2017 7:34 AM, Gene wrote:
I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site. I haven't signed up yet but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I assume is what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket. But many people may find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page, instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps also how to search for tickets and how to create an account? If tickets are desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be somehow explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create tickets will be likely to see the explanation.

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/ <http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
Twitter: @NVAccess

Bhavya shah

Hi all,
I see that a lot of NVDA users seem interested in helping out with
testing NVDA, sharing feedback, reporting bugs, etc. As an active
triager on the NVDA Github issue tracker (along with some other NVDA
community members), we try to make sure that all tickets are
systematic and well-defined, so that developers have sufficient
diagnostic information or compelling use cases ensuring that the
accepted suggestions are easy better understood and consequently
simpler to implement. Therefore, I fortunately have notable experience
in the past month or so with the issue filing side of Github,
knowledge that I would definitely be interested in passing on. I am
considering writing a comprehensive multi-part guide about filing
issues about NVDA on the Github tracker and other less emphasized and
unmentioned essentials you may want to keep in mind while doing the
same in the form of a blog post on my personal blog (Hiking Across
Horizons - bhavyashah125.wordpress.com). Unfortunately, I will not be
able to get to this blog post idea till the 27th September at least
due to upcoming academic commitments, so please expect to hear from me
in this regard post that date, hopefully. Just thought I'd give a
heads-up.
Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Quentin Christensen

Odd, it seems to be working for me.  Can anyone else reproduce this problem?

Press TAB four times to get to the Browse button and then press spacebar or enter to activate it.  It should bring up a standard Windows file open dialog.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of, is whether you had explorer crashed or busy in the background or something?

Regards

Quentin.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@...>

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@... <mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie>