email and nvda

slery <slerythema@...>

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the same window).

Cindy

Jessica D <jldail13@...>

Hi,
Have you tried the Mail app in windows 10?
It works quite well with NvDA.

On Sep 3, 2017, at 10:20 PM, slery <slerythema@...> wrote:

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the same window).
Cindy

Arlene

What version of outlook are you using?

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the same window).

Cindy

slery <slerythema@...>

How do you open multiple folders?

On September 3, 2017 10:38:35 PM "Jessica D" <jldail13@...> wrote:

Hi,
Have you tried the Mail app in windows 10?
It works quite well with NvDA.

On Sep 3, 2017, at 10:20 PM, slery <slerythema@...> wrote:

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the same window).
Cindy

slery <slerythema@...>

2016/365

On September 3, 2017 11:07:33 PM "Arlene" <nedster66@...> wrote:

What version of outlook are you using?

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the same window).

Cindy

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

thunderbird works a treat.  It's a bit slow at times (especially if you have thousands and thousands of messages), but otherwise, it works just fine with NVDA, and I've been using it for just about a year now without any major problems.

On 9/3/2017 10:20 PM, slery wrote:

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the same window).

Cindy

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Most allow this but seem to slow down the more you open and getting between them can often be a bit of a fuddle.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

On Sep 3, 2017, at 10:20 PM, slery <slerythema@gmail.com> wrote:

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open
multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a
second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the same
window).
Cindy

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Can you open several folders and leave them open and just go between them?
Also how can one do identities on Tbird, to make it work like Outlook express so you know which email account is replying to an email.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

thunderbird works a treat. It's a bit slow at times (especially if you
have thousands and thousands of messages), but otherwise, it works just
fine with NVDA, and I've been using it for just about a year now without
any major problems.

On 9/3/2017 10:20 PM, slery wrote:

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open
multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a
second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the
same window).

Cindy

Lino Morales

Mozilla Thunderbird is great. If you want less bells and whistles the built in Mail app in Windows 10 should work for you. What version of MS Office are you running? What screen reader do you use? Maybe Office needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled again.

On 9/3/2017 10:20 PM, slery wrote:

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the same window).

Cindy

slery <slerythema@...>

HOW do you do this in win mail?

On September 4, 2017 5:24:26 AM "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io"

Most allow this but seem to slow down the more you open and getting between
them can often be a bit of a fuddle.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
Have you tried the Mail app in windows 10?
It works quite well with NvDA.

On Sep 3, 2017, at 10:20 PM, slery <slerythema@gmail.com> wrote:

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with
NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open
multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a
second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the same
window).
Cindy

slery <slerythema@...>

Outlook 2016 and it has just been reinstalled since I reset my computer. This has made the problem worse.

I thought this list was only for NVDA? Since that is the only screen reader I own and use, that is why I asked on this list.
Cindy

On September 4, 2017 7:24:10 AM "Lino Morales" <linomorales001@...> wrote:

Mozilla Thunderbird is great. If you want less bells and whistles the built in Mail app in Windows 10 should work for you. What version of MS Office are you running? What screen reader do you use? Maybe Office needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled again.

On 9/3/2017 10:20 PM, slery wrote:

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the same window).

Cindy

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'm intrigued by this. Indeed there are some issues on the github site about this problem. I do, however feel that there are possible issues in Windows as well here.

On September 4, 2017 7:24:10 AM "Lino Morales" <linomorales001@gmail.com>
wrote:

Mozilla Thunderbird is great. If you want less bells and whistles the
built in Mail app in Windows 10 should work for you. What version of MS
Office are you running? What screen reader do you use? Maybe Office
needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled again.

On 9/3/2017 10:20 PM, slery wrote:

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open
multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a
second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the
same window).

Cindy

Gene

As far as I know, Thunderbird doesn't have identities.  Also, it is my impression that identities are considered obsolete and aren't generally used in what are considered modern e-mail programs.  Windows Live Mail doesn't use them, I doubt Thunderbird does, I've never seen any evidence that it does, and we'll see what others say about other programs.

Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 4:33 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> thunderbird works a treat. It's a bit slow at times (especially if you
> have thousands and thousands of messages), but otherwise, it works just
> fine with NVDA, and I've been using it for just about a year now without
> any major problems.
>

> On 9/3/2017 10:20 PM, slery wrote:
>>
>> I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).
>>
>> Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open
>> multiple folders at the same time
>>
>> Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a
>> second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the
>> same window).
>>
>> Cindy

Antony Stone

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by the specific word "identities",
because Thunderbird can certainly have multiple user settings, which can
collect email from different accounts, are configured with the reply address for
each of those accounts, so that you can reply to emails from the different
addresses.

Whether these are called "identities" (it's the word I would use) or something
else, I don't know, but it certainly has this facility.

Antony.

--
Numerous psychological studies over the years have demonstrated that the
majority of people genuinely believe they are not like the majority of people.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Gene

I've never used identities.  Outlook Express has identities but I'll let someone else explain just what they are.

Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 11:44 AM

--
Numerous psychological studies over the years have demonstrated that the
majority of people genuinely believe they are not like the majority of people.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

I can confirm the same issue, outlook doesn't seem to want to read the first top level of messages but it will read messages once opened, the window is maximised, and I have the latest office update.

Also if you try to get at folders office may or may not become unresponsive.

For me its not a big issue as I don't use it its my dad's however its a pain when checking, and using narator produces the same results so its probably an office issue but who knows.

On 4/09/2017 11:24 p.m., Lino Morales wrote:
Mozilla Thunderbird is great. If you want less bells and whistles the built in Mail app in Windows 10 should work for you. What version of MS Office are you running? What screen reader do you use? Maybe Office needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled again.

On 9/3/2017 10:20 PM, slery wrote:

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open multiple folders at the same time

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the same window).

Cindy

Well you can have different profiles and accounts though it has come to my attention that with all the issues in office of late that for all its cracked up to be ms is using a vary slow and clunky cloud engine and it doesn't work so well.

Thunderbird, firefox, etc use the chrome engine which uses the chromium engine which is well fast.

The only thing that is no good is lightning but windows calendar app is fine for that.

On 5/09/2017 4:13 a.m., Gene wrote:
[...]

What I mean is completely separate identities as in Outlook Express where one cannot see any of the other accounts at all. Of course you can have the same account in two identities if you want, say one imap and one pop3, but equally you can put in a password so that an identity cannot be opened without it. OK its not mega secure, but I'm not using it for that reason. I'm ttrying to keep charity and perrsonal emails apart and mail list emails and soccial group emails as well. What I do not want is one big tree view with everything on it all in the same view.
[...]

Don't providers give more than one address to users?  Why couldn't you have separate accounts, for different purposes using different addresses with the same provider?  Or as another solution, have different names you give as your display name for different purposes.  Then use display rules to send mmessages with one display name to one folder and with another display name to another.  The problem doesn't seem difficult to solve and using Outlook Express for some or perhaps many users introduces complications and annoyances.  I don't use Outlook Express but a very knowledgeable tech on another list I follow has seen enough people have problems with it that he recommends that only advanced users use the Windows 10 version.  And I've seen long discussions from a few users who set up everything correctly and the program still doesn't work correctly.

Nowadays, with an add on I read about recently that provides first letter navigation in the folders list, the last major problem with Thunderbird accessibility has evidently been solved.  There are two minor accessibility problems I know of but the most serious was the inability to move by first letter navigation in the folders tree view for those with multiple accounts.

> I'm not entirely certain what you mean by the specific word "identities",
> because Thunderbird can certainly have multiple user settings, which can
> collect email from different accounts, are configured with the reply
> address for
> each of those accounts, so that you can reply to emails from the different
> addresses.
>
> Whether these are called "identities" (it's the word I would use) or
> something
> else, I don't know, but it certainly has this facility.
>

> Antony.
>
> On Monday 04 September 2017 at 18:13:57, Gene wrote:
>
>> As far as I know, Thunderbird doesn't have identities.  Also, it is my
>> impression that identities are considered obsolete and aren't generally
>> used in what are considered modern e-mail programs.  Windows Live Mail
>> doesn't use them, I doubt Thunderbird does, I've never seen any evidence
>> that it does, and we'll see what others say about other programs.
>>
>> Gene

Tony Ballou

Hi,

Try Mozilla Thunderbird. Works with NVDA just fine and has everything you need.

Tony