Backstage View in MS-Word 2010 & Later

As I suspected, you really can't turn it off in its entirety, and I actually wouldn't want to myself.

See:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10/office-2016-backstage-will-not-turn-off/ca43b7d0-be9e-4aca-8974-8c5364018bc4
for some information on keyboard shortcuts you can use to get just the file navigator to show up when you want to "Save as" or "Open" and have set the option to not show Backstage View to On.

Where that option is controlled clearly varies for versions of Word after 2010, as the location noted in the article referenced above does not contain it for Word 2010.

            Niels Bohr

Gene

If that is so, it would at least be useful, from what I've read, for blind users to know how to either stop it from coming up when saving files or how to dismiss it efficiently when it does come up.  I've heard nothing beneficial about Backstage View for blind users.  It's possible there are beneficial uses, but I've only read criticisms of it.

Gene

As I suspected, you really can't turn it off in its entirety, and I actually wouldn't want to myself.

See:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10/office-2016-backstage-will-not-turn-off/ca43b7d0-be9e-4aca-8974-8c5364018bc4
for some information on keyboard shortcuts you can use to get just the file navigator to show up when you want to "Save as" or "Open" and have set the option to not show Backstage View to On.

Where that option is controlled clearly varies for versions of Word after 2010, as the location noted in the article referenced above does not contain it for Word 2010.

            Niels Bohr

Jason White

One of the benefits is that it shows a list of recently accessed files from which you can choose quickly. I generally turn off Backstage View, but occasionally I type Alt+F to activate it so that I can access the list of recently visited files.

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 09:39 am, Gene wrote:
If that is so, it would at least be useful, from what I've read, for blind users to know how to either stop it from coming up when saving files or how to dismiss it efficiently when it does come up.
Gene, the link I gave includes the information about how you can keep backstage view from coming up when you use CTRL+O to open a file or F12 to Save As.  That's the most one can do.

I've been teaching folks how to use the File tab, as it comes (which is the backstage view), for years now and it does not seem to be problematic.  It's a matter, in many cases, of resistance to change.  I cannot believe I am still hearing rants about the ribbon interface more than 10 years after its introduction.  It isn't going away and it is up to end users, sighted or blind, to learn how to use it effectively whether they like it or not (and, for the record, I preferred menus myself).

It is my custom to teach keyboard shortcuts for pretty much any commonly used function in any given Office program.  Alt+F, followed by the correct character for Save (S), Save As (A), Open (O), etc., etc., etc., hasn't changed in a very long time and is, if memory serves, unchanged from the era of the File Menu, but I could be wrong about that.  Since Word 2003 was the last version that used menus it's now not even in the mists of my memory.  I've gotta keep up and try my darndest to do so.

By the way, none of the above is aimed at you, personally, but is a broad observation.  I would hope that doesn't even need to be said, but just in case.

            Niels Bohr

Gene

Alt F A has been around in programs at least as far back as Windows 95.  I noted with interest, when I learned about ribbons, that the ribbon menu was set up to preserve this command.  I don't use Word so I can't evaluate Back Stage View.

Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 1:01 PM

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Also, if you are used to using F12 to save as, you can also use control+f12 to directly open an open dialog.  If you check "Don't show the backstage when opening or saving files", in the "Save" options, you can use control+o to open or control+s to save (a previously unsaved file).

Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 1:01 PM

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager