How useable is spotify? with nvda

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi guys

Has any one on the list use spotify through the browser or desk top app and if so how useable was it with nvda?

I just had a quick look i think it is the web version and seems useable. I would have to look around a bit more it is the free version of it.

If it is fairly useable has any one on the list done a tutorial for it? either written or audio? If there is one could you point me in the right direction please.

Gene nz

I don't know how useable the desktop app is.  You can experiment.  The player you can use on the site itself, which comes up and plays automatically when you play something is accessible.  I don't know how many other features on the page, following other users, creating playlists, are accessible.  You can play albums or individual tracks and playlists others have made.

I'm not sure if the desktop app provides better audio.  The free Internet site player produces alright audio, but if you are using good equipment, you will hear a certain amount of thinness because it doesn't use all that high a bit rate for the free version.  I don’t know if the player currently uses Flash or html5.

There are keystrokes for moving through a track and from jumping forward or backward from one track to another.  I don't remember what they are on the web site.  Don't ever try to change the volume in the web player.  I don't know if it has been fixed but when I tried it a long time ago, it didn't work correctly and got stuck on a very low volume.

The old desktop player may be easier to use than the newer desktop player.  You have to use object navigation.  The newer desktop player doesn't require object navigation.  It's more or less a web pag3e Interface but when I tried it a good while ago, a good deal of it wasn't properly accessible. and it appeared to me that some or many features couldn't be used. it will constantly upgrade itself unless you are successful in stopping it from doing so using a procedure I saw in a discussion forum.  If you want to experiment with the perhaps two or three years old player, let me know.  In that player, most features are inaccessible but you can listen to music and move among tracks and within tracks.  When I compared, the free version produced a little better audio than the web player free version and a little better audio than the free newer desktop application.   To me, the improvement mattered.

Sent: Friday, September 08, 2017 12:58 AM
Subject: [nvda] How useable is spotify? with nvda

Hi guys

Has any one on the list use spotify through the browser or desk top app and if so how useable was it with nvda?

I just had a quick look i think it is the web version and seems useable. I would have to look around a bit more it is the free version of it.

If it is fairly useable has any one on the list done a tutorial for it? either written or audio? If there is one could you point me in the right direction please.

Gene nz

David Griffith

Coincidentally I tried out Spotify Desktop with NVDA  yesterday.

The major problem is that NVDA could not detect the search edit box. Oddly Jaws can do this though what you have to do is enter the search edit box  twice. That is press E to find the edit box, then press space or enter, then repeat the process. The second time the edit box will allow text to be entered and a search conducted.

I only use Spotify for searching for Artists and then playing albums or tracks by that artist. You can do this with Jaws and you would also be able to do this with NVDA if only the inability to detect the edit  box could be fixed. Once  a search had been completed with Jaws I found no difficulty using NVDA to play content.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, September 08, 2017 12:58 AM

Hi guys

Has any one on the list use spotify through the browser or desk top app and if so how useable was it with nvda?

I just had a quick look i think it is the web version and seems useable. I would have to look around a bit more it is the free version of it.

If it is fairly useable has any one on the list done a tutorial for it? either written or audio? If there is one could you point me in the right direction please.

Gene nz

Matt Turner

Hmm, the trouble I'm having, is that I've saved albums in spotify.

Now when going to my albums, i only see something about a grid. With both NVDA and Jaws.

Sent: Friday, September 08, 2017 12:58 AM

Hi guys

Has any one on the list use spotify through the browser or desk top app and if so how useable was it with nvda?

I just had a quick look i think it is the web version and seems useable. I would have to look around a bit more it is the free version of it.

If it is fairly useable has any one on the list done a tutorial for it? either written or audio? If there is one could you point me in the right direction please.

Gene nz

David Griffith

As I say I do not use any feature but searching ffor albums and and tracks and then playing them.

Occasionally I re-enter the search for a particular album and replay it that way.

I have never “saved” albums so have not come across this limitation which I am sure it annoying for you.

What benefit is there for saving by the way?

I tend to only use Spotify for trying out a particular artist or track rather than using it as a main Music source. I still prefer to have my music in real media files away from streaming limitations and without the need to pay subscriptions.