Topics

blackboard


Arlene
 

Hi list: Arlene here! Does anybody know if NVDA works with blackboard? It’s used for schools. Used to set up assignments, tests and other things.


 

Well when I used blackboard 6 most of it worked but that is ages and ages ago.

At the time most things worked but assignment submition didn't always work and a few form related things just didn't work.

However I know blackboard themselves have an accessibility team or someone that moniters them does as once someone appeared on the local list I was on for the blind stating as such.

So chances are there are people watching who knows.

On 14/09/2017 5:41 p.m., Arlene wrote:
Hi list: Arlene here! Does anybody know if NVDA works with blackboard? It's
used for schools. Used to set up assignments, tests and other things.


Ângelo Abrantes
 

Some years ago, I tried to work with this software, but NVDA didn't read absolutely nothing!

Ângelo Abrantes



Às 06:41 de 14-09-2017, Arlene escreveu:

Hi list: Arlene here! Does anybody know if NVDA works with blackboard? It’s used for schools. Used to set up assignments, tests and other things.





Avast logo

Este e-mail foi verificado em termos de vírus pelo software antivírus Avast.
www.avast.com



Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Do we know what it was written with?
IE is it a port from some other environment, written in Java or what. I have to say, I'd not heard of it.

In the US I don't think they are allowed to us inaccessible software in education.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ângelo Abrantes" <ampa4374@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] blackboard


Some years ago, I tried to work with this software, but NVDA didn't read
absolutely nothing!

Ângelo Abrantes



Às 06:41 de 14-09-2017, Arlene escreveu:

Hi list: Arlene here! Does anybody know if NVDA works with blackboard?
It’s used for schools. Used to set up assignments, tests and other things.



---
Este e-mail foi verificado em termos de vírus pelo software antivírus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Marshall handheld Flax
 

Yes.  My daughter just graduated from a college that used blackboard and didn't report any problems. 

On Sep 14, 2017 1:41 AM, "Arlene" <nedster66@...> wrote:

Hi list: Arlene here! Does anybody know if NVDA works with blackboard? It’s used for schools. Used to set up assignments, tests and other things.


erik burggraaf <erik@...>
 

I am just starting school at a college that uses Blackboard. So far, I haven't run into any issues with nvda logging in or accessing content. I do remember the issues with entering texting form fields  and submitting assignments from a couple of years ago when I helped my ex-girlfriend with her classes. I don't know whether those issues are still a thing, but I will run into them eventually and let the list know.

The key accessibility issue in Blackboard for me is that they don't do anything to validate the content uploaded by professors. The framework may be peachy keen, but it allows professors to upload garbage such as images of text and screenshots of Code. Without good training, the whole thing Falls over.

Another issue completely unrelated to nvda, is the fact that Blackboard has a history of being not mobile friendly at all. The Blackboard Mobile apps have their own niggling accessibility issues, but also the functionality of the mobile apps with severely reduced.

I've used D2L for my High School courses. And I don't know that it's better than Blackboard. It isn't terrible either, but I really think these content management Creator is have a lot to answer for yet.

On September 14, 2017 1:42:07 AM "Arlene" <nedster66@...> wrote:

Hi list: Arlene here! Does anybody know if NVDA works with blackboard? It’s used for schools. Used to set up assignments, tests and other things.


Giles Turnbull
 

I'm really interested in this thread because I'm intending to go back to Swansea Uni, where I did my BSc in chemistry back in the 1990s, and study for MA in creative writing. I know they use Blackboard so have been browsing around to get an idea about how accessible it is.

From what I've read it should be fine though, as Erik says, it very much depends on the professors using it accessibly. This comes up in an AFB post about how blind students find Blackboard, http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pubnew.asp?DocID=aw160702

I know at Swansea, a UK uni, there is a disability office that handles transcriptions of any textbooks or handouts that aren't available electronically, and will step in if anything accessibility related is hindering your chances of successfully completing your studies. I'm optimistic that Blackboard will be sufficiently useable when I get there :)


Arlene
 

Yes, I knew a friend on FB was asking if it’s accessable with Jaws. They say it is.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Giles Turnbull
Sent: September-14-17 8:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] blackboard

 

I'm really interested in this thread because I'm intending to go back to Swansea Uni, where I did my BSc in chemistry back in the 1990s, and study for MA in creative writing. I know they use Blackboard so have been browsing around to get an idea about how accessible it is.

From what I've read it should be fine though, as Erik says, it very much depends on the professors using it accessibly. This comes up in an AFB post about how blind students find Blackboard, http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pubnew.asp?DocID=aw160702

I know at Swansea, a UK uni, there is a disability office that handles transcriptions of any textbooks or handouts that aren't available electronically, and will step in if anything accessibility related is hindering your chances of successfully completing your studies. I'm optimistic that Blackboard will be sufficiently useable when I get there :)


Marshall handheld Flax
 

In general, Openbook usually works fairly well for handling the "scanned" pdfs that professors often upload to Blackboard.  I don't know of a more affordable approach, though :-(

Marshall

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:

Yes, I knew a friend on FB was asking if it’s accessable with Jaws. They say it is.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Giles Turnbull
Sent: September-14-17 8:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] blackboard

 

I'm really interested in this thread because I'm intending to go back to Swansea Uni, where I did my BSc in chemistry back in the 1990s, and study for MA in creative writing. I know they use Blackboard so have been browsing around to get an idea about how accessible it is.

From what I've read it should be fine though, as Erik says, it very much depends on the professors using it accessibly. This comes up in an AFB post about how blind students find Blackboard, http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pubnew.asp?DocID=aw160702

I know at Swansea, a UK uni, there is a disability office that handles transcriptions of any textbooks or handouts that aren't available electronically, and will step in if anything accessibility related is hindering your chances of successfully completing your studies. I'm optimistic that Blackboard will be sufficiently useable when I get there :)



Sarah k Alawami
 

Docuscan will also work for that, or you can talk to the professor. Most are willing to work with you in providing text version of the pdfs, Mine have ben more than wonderful over the years. Some won't be, but not much you can do about that besides make a complaint to your DRC.

On Sep 14, 2017, at 11:38 AM, Marshall handheld Flax <m.droid.flax@...> wrote:

In general, Openbook usually works fairly well for handling the "scanned" pdfs that professors often upload to Blackboard.  I don't know of a more affordable approach, though :-(

Marshall

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Arlene <nedster66@...>wrote:

Yes, I knew a friend on FB was asking if it’s accessable with Jaws. They say it is.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Giles Turnbull
Sent: September-14-17 8:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] blackboard

 

I'm really interested in this thread because I'm intending to go back to Swansea Uni, where I did my BSc in chemistry back in the 1990s, and study for MA in creative writing. I know they use Blackboard so have been browsing around to get an idea about how accessible it is.

From what I've read it should be fine though, as Erik says, it very much depends on the professors using it accessibly. This comes up in an AFB post about how blind students find Blackboard, http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pubnew.asp?DocID=aw160702

I know at Swansea, a UK uni, there is a disability office that handles transcriptions of any textbooks or handouts that aren't available electronically, and will step in if anything accessibility related is hindering your chances of successfully completing your studies. I'm optimistic that Blackboard will be sufficiently useable when I get there :) 






Arlene
 

Maybe it got better. I never used it. But a Jaws user on FB was asking if
Blackboard was accessible. They said it was. So I took it upon myself to ask
if it would work with NVDA. Cause not everybody uses Jaws.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun
Everiss
Sent: September-14-17 2:02 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] blackboard

Well when I used blackboard 6 most of it worked but that is ages and ages
ago.

At the time most things worked but assignment submition didn't always work
and a few form related things just didn't work.

However I know blackboard themselves have an accessibility team or someone
that moniters them does as once someone appeared on the local list I was on
for the blind stating as such.

So chances are there are people watching who knows.




On 14/09/2017 5:41 p.m., Arlene wrote:
Hi list: Arlene here! Does anybody know if NVDA works with blackboard?
It's used for schools. Used to set up assignments, tests and other things.


Randy Barnett <randy@...>
 

Blackboard is geared toward schools and widely used. A girlfriend of mine was a teacher so that is how I heard of it. I have never tried it myself.

On 9/14/2017 2:42 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Do we know what it was written with?
IE is it a port from some other environment, written in Java or what. I have to say, I'd not heard of it.

In the US I don't think they are allowed to us inaccessible software in education.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ângelo Abrantes" <ampa4374@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] blackboard


Some years ago, I tried to work with this software, but NVDA didn't read
absolutely nothing!

Ângelo Abrantes



Às 06:41 de 14-09-2017, Arlene escreveu:

Hi list: Arlene here! Does anybody know if NVDA works with blackboard?
It’s used for schools. Used to set up assignments, tests and other things.



---
Este e-mail foi verificado em termos de vírus pelo software antivírus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Quentin Christensen
 

NVDA can also OCR images of text.  If using Windows 10 and NVDA 2017.3, navigate to the image and press NVDA+r, then when OCR complete, use your regular reading keys to read.

If using earlier versions of Windows or NVDA, you will need to the OCR plug-in (note, if using Windows 10 & NVDA 2017.3, please disable the plug-in), in that case, you still press NVDA+r to run OCR, but with the plug in you need to use the review cursor to read.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Marshall handheld Flax <m.droid.flax@...> wrote:
In general, Openbook usually works fairly well for handling the "scanned" pdfs that professors often upload to Blackboard.  I don't know of a more affordable approach, though :-(

Marshall

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:

Yes, I knew a friend on FB was asking if it’s accessable with Jaws. They say it is.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Giles Turnbull
Sent: September-14-17 8:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] blackboard

 

I'm really interested in this thread because I'm intending to go back to Swansea Uni, where I did my BSc in chemistry back in the 1990s, and study for MA in creative writing. I know they use Blackboard so have been browsing around to get an idea about how accessible it is.

From what I've read it should be fine though, as Erik says, it very much depends on the professors using it accessibly. This comes up in an AFB post about how blind students find Blackboard, http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pubnew.asp?DocID=aw160702

I know at Swansea, a UK uni, there is a disability office that handles transcriptions of any textbooks or handouts that aren't available electronically, and will step in if anything accessibility related is hindering your chances of successfully completing your studies. I'm optimistic that Blackboard will be sufficiently useable when I get there :)





--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess