Topics

NVDA freezes in IntelliJ

Henk Mulder

Hi,

Using NVDA 2019.2.1, NVDA randomly freezes when I open IntelliJ IDE (Community edition 2019.2.4).
When it happens, NVDA hangs and won't report anything (also when switching to other applications with alt+tab). Also IntelliJ hangs and will not open the current project. The only thing I can do is to start Windows Narrator, which does keep working, and end the IntelliJ process via the task manager. When the IntelliJ process is killed NVDA unfreezes.

Is there a way to make sure, or to increase the chance, that I can start IntelliJ without NVDA and IntelliJ locking each other?

When NVDA is back I have the following snippet in the log viewer:

WARNING - watchdog._watcher (10:08:48.759):
Core frozen in stack:
  File "nvda.pyw", line 231, in <module>
  File "core.pyo", line 519, in main
  File "wx\core.pyo", line 2134, in MainLoop
  File "gui\__init__.pyo", line 1003, in Notify
  File "core.pyo", line 489, in run
  File "IAccessibleHandler.pyo", line 889, in pumpAll
  File "IAccessibleHandler.pyo", line 663, in processFocusWinEvent
  File "IAccessibleHandler.pyo", line 534, in winEventToNVDAEvent
  File "NVDAObjects\IAccessible\__init__.pyo", line 46, in getNVDAObjectFromEvent
  File "NVDAObjects\__init__.pyo", line 85, in __call__
  File "NVDAObjects\IAccessible\__init__.pyo", line 412, in findOverlayClasses
  File "JABHandler.pyo", line 707, in isJavaWindow

Best,
Henk

Gene

What happens if you unload NVDA, run the other program, then run NVDA again?

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA freezes in IntelliJ

[...]

Hello Gene,

Unfortunately that won't help. IntelliJ is a Java application. Therefore you need the Java Access bridge in order to be able to use it with NVDA. The problem is that the Java Access Bridge will only load if the accessibility service is running. Thus if NVDA is not running while I start the application, I won't be able to work with the program since the access bridge isn't loaded.
On a similar note: if you restart NVDA while working with the program, you also lose the access bridge and need to restart the program as well.

Best,
Henk

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

Its too bad that simple solution won't work.

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

Jaffar Sidek

HI.  IntelliJ Idea has had problems with accessibility since time immemorial.  Perhaps you would consider eclipse?  Or if it is Android programming you are in to, then Android Studio?  Those aren't the best accessibility wise, but they do work much better with NVDA.  Also, you might want to check if you have the Latest version of the Java SDK as they concequently come with the latest version of the Java Access Bridge.  I have no idea of the degree of accessibility of versions later then version 8 though because I have stuck to Java 8 and all it's builds since it's inception.  Cheers!

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

I am aware of the accessibility history of IntelliJ. It is getting better though. Partly because Android Studio is also based on IntelliJ, and for Android Studio they do seem to work a little bit on accessibility.
For me the choice for IntelliJ is more because that is what's being used in industry. Since all my colleagues use IntelliJ, and Eclipse does not support the way our project is organized, I rather use what everyone else is using (if possible).
However the problem I have is not with IntelliJ accessibility. I think there is a problem with NVDA and the Java access bridge in general. I was hoping that someone might have a solution to that.
I'm also using JDK8, since that's what I require for our project. I am running the latest update (JDK/JRE 1.8.0_231), so I assume I also have the most up-to-date access bridge included.

Best,
Henk

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

Larry Wang

I have to restart PyCharm if NVDA is restarted. While WebStorm does not have this issue.

Maybe you can contact JetBrains.

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

As a test, have you considered using a JAWS demo?  If the problem isn't corrected quickly enough, and if the program works with JAWS, a monthly JAWS license might meet your needs.

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

Yup Java Access Bridge seems to be a problem in terms of stability.  I don't know if you are using a 64 bit machine.  If this is so, perhaps you might like to check if the appropriate WindowsAccessBridge.dll is in the appropriate windows/system32 or windows/SysWOW directories.  so WindowsAccessBridge-64.dll should be in the windows/system32 directory and WindowsAccessBridge.dll should be in the windows/SysWOW directory.  Cheers!

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

In addition, java will not update its dlls right if they are being used on windows 10.

So you can 1.  update java, restart, then reinstall java to put the dlls back or run narator to update java which is what I do when updating java its not a big issue as java doesn't update all the time.

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

Tony Malykh

Is PyCharm fully accessible now? Are there any tricks to set it up with NVDA?

I remember trying PyCharm a couple of years ago and it appeared to b not accessible at all - just wondering if things have improved since then?

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

It is on a fresh install of Windows. So the JDK, JRE (both X64 and X86) and the access bridge are freshly installed.
I know the access bridge is working, since I can access the "Configure Java"  application. I can also work with IntellliJ, ass long as it will correctly start. But half the time it freezes when starting IntelliJ.

Best,
Henk

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

I know PyCharm has the same issues. It is also a flavour of IntelliJ. Didn't know that WebStorm does not have the problem with reloading NVDA while it is running. Isn't WebStorm also a flavour of IntelliJ? In that case it might be worth while to contact JetBrains.

Best,
Henk

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

Then I would ave to install Jaws just for the test, and I'dd rather not do that. There's a reason why I switched to NVDA: It just meets my needs a lot more.

Best,
Henk

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

Then its probably not the bridge.

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

Hi.  Last I tried to use PyCharm a few months back, it wasn't at all accessible.  A few Python enabled IDES have come along, like Leclipse which is really Eclipse for Python development, VSCode on which you can install the Python development tools and Visual studio which is more of the same but with more bells and whistles.  Cheers!

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

Is IntelliJ open source or is there a trial version?  I would like to give it a spin and see if it will react the same way on my machine and see if there is a work around.  Cheers!

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

Anyway, I wouldn't use jaws with any Java IDES except for Eclipse.  For some reason, Jaws lags very badly with IntelliJ based IDES and also with NetBeans.  Cheers!

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM

[...]

Yes the community edition is open source and there is a trial for the ultimate edition.
Both versions can be found at https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/index.html#section=windows.
I use the community edition.