how well does NVDA work with outlook 2016

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi how well does NVDA work with outlook 2016?

I have the version 17.03 and I am running windows seven.

So is ther anything to whatch out for when using that program?

Or does it work just as it is with NVDA the latest version?

Quentin Christensen

Hi Casey,

In general, yes, it should work best with the latest version.  I think the main problems at the moment are with Outlook on Windows 10.  In any case, do let us know how you go.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi well I am using it now with windows seven.

I can tell you this much.

When you are in your mailbox list don’t use control y

Cause it will make your outlook crash or NVDA not respond.

At least it did on my system anyway.

In general, yes, it should work best with the latest version.  I think the main problems at the moment are with Outlook on Windows 10.  In any case, do let us know how you go.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Casey <cwollner@...> wrote:

Hi how well does NVDA work with outlook 2016?

I have the version 17.03 and I am running windows seven.

So is ther anything to whatch out for when using that program?

Or does it work just as it is with NVDA the latest version?

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Ah, that was the crash I was hoping was only on Windows 10.  Ok, if it's the same thing, the best workaround we've found so far is to use control+shift+tab to get to the folder list, then select your folder from there.

Control+y, or using control+1, control+2 etc, or even clicking on folders with the mouse all seem to produce this crash.  From what we've found, it's something Microsoft have changed in Outlook recently.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Casey <cwollner@...> wrote:

[...]

Cristóbal

TO be clear, is this with only the stand alone Outlook 2016 program or Office 365 as well?

In general, yes, it should work best with the latest version.  I think the main problems at the moment are with Outlook on Windows 10.  In any case, do let us know how you go.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Casey <cwollner@...> wrote:

Hi how well does NVDA work with outlook 2016?

I have the version 17.03 and I am running windows seven.

So is ther anything to whatch out for when using that program?

Or does it work just as it is with NVDA the latest version?

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Quentin,

Wow, this is good to know. I just had a problem earlier with outlook crashing. Since I have it in my downloads folder, I did a clean install and that fixed the problem. I'm using outlook 2013.

Rosemarie

In general, yes, it should work best with the latest version.  I think the main problems at the moment are with Outlook on Windows 10.  In any case, do let us know how you go.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Casey <cwollner@...> wrote:

Hi how well does NVDA work with outlook 2016?

I have the version 17.03 and I am running windows seven.

So is ther anything to whatch out for when using that program?

Or does it work just as it is with NVDA the latest version?

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Craig

Hi.

I have no probs with nvda and outlook 2016 on win 10 machine.

No problems

In general, yes, it should work best with the latest version.  I think the main problems at the moment are with Outlook on Windows 10.  In any case, do let us know how you go.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Casey <cwollner@...> wrote:

Hi how well does NVDA work with outlook 2016?

I have the version 17.03 and I am running windows seven.

So is ther anything to whatch out for when using that program?

Or does it work just as it is with NVDA the latest version?

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes I have a friend with an old Outlook who is on this list and it randomly crashes on viewing a message and I'm still not sure if its windows nvda or abit of both. Why only Outlook seems to be affected from 2003 onwards and not for all is intriguing.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Do you have clipspeak installed by any chance?

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: <http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

<http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess> http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

My friend would suggest its actually a recent windows update combined with nvda, but sometimes its fine and sometimes even opening an email has an issue.
Stability is the problem. I am glad I did not plump for Outlook as I find its a bit like building a nuclear submarine when all you need is a rowing boat.
[...]

Jim Pipczak

Hi all,

Just to be clear, This is an NVDA problem isn’t it? I assume it doesn’t happen when NVDA is not running.

Thanks,

Jim

In general, yes, it should work best with the latest version.  I think the main problems at the moment are with Outlook on Windows 10.  In any case, do let us know how you go.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Casey <cwollner@...> wrote:

Hi how well does NVDA work with outlook 2016?

I have the version 17.03 and I am running windows seven.

So is ther anything to whatch out for when using that program?

Or does it work just as it is with NVDA the latest version?

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Jim,

This problem started with a recent update to Office, it's not something we've changed (and using a current build of Office 2016, it manifests even using older versions of NVDA.

It happens for me using Narrator as well, so I believe it is definitely something in Outlook.  I have seen at least one user confirm it doesn't happen using Jaws, and I have found it doesn't happen if no screen reader is running.  Not sure about Zoomtext etc.

The issue we are tracking on our system is: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7556

It has been reported to Microsoft, but I don't have a direct link to a bug for them.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 8:06 AM, Jim Pipczak <jim.pipczak@...> wrote:

[...]

Ali Savas

Jim,

this is an Accessibility Bug of Microsoft and this is reported by different Screen Reader developers like Baum. This bug is caused of UIA Calls.

Regards

Ali

[...]

Monte Single

I am using nvda with outlook 2016 at work for a year.  When I open a message I have to press insert+downarrow to read to end;  apart from that, I have had no probloems.

[...]

Has anyone checked to see if the affected computers are running avast anti virus?
[...]

Good thought, I know mine isn't though.  Just looking at what I do have running, I can't think of much that is a likely candidate.  I suspect it is Outlook itself.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 9:18 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
Has anyone checked to see if the affected computers are running avast anti virus?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...>

[...]

Quentin,

as I said, this has something to do with UIA calls. Cobra (Screen Reader from Baum) has the same problem.

Regards

Ali

[...]

Thanks Ali,

Mick is on top of it (in terms of understanding it) as well - Since I don't play with the code much, I hadn't looked as deeply into the specifics, except to help diagnose reproducing it and ensuring everyone who needed to know about it (like Mick from our end, and that he had passed it back to Microsoft as well), did and then keeping an eye on reports and things as they come in from people.  Our issue on it is: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7556 Do feel free to add anything technical to that which might help, although as you note, it looks like it's mostly something that needs Microsoft's attention at this point.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 9:59 PM, Ali Savas <ali-savas@...> wrote:

[...]

Did I not see somebody having issues in Outlook 2013 as well recently though?
In a radio show nearly a year ago now a person had awful problems getting Office 2016 to run reliably in windows 10 with any screenreader running and the eventual advice was to go back to 2010 instead.

My friend with the 2003 version sent me a log and it was Avast jumping in on the prompt about downloading graphics from the web for this email that screwed the whole lot up.

This Uia call stuff was a problem with lock ups from the very start back in the experimental xp add in. It clobbered office back then too. Locked up in edit fields as I recall, and was sluggish most of the rest of the time.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 9:18 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io <mailto:bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> > wrote:

Has anyone checked to see if the affected computers are running avast anti virus?

Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> , putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org <mailto:quentin@nvaccess.org> >

www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>

Twitter: @NVAccess

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>

Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>
Twitter: @NVAccess

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: <http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

<http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess> http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Steve Nutt

Hi,

It happens on JAWS too, but it’s not quite as bad as on NVDA.  I couldn’t use NVDA with Outlook 2016, too many crashes.

Also, shift tab assumes that the folder pane is switched on, I always switch it off, less clutter on the screen and better performance.

All the best

Steve