Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 1:42 PM
Subject: [nvda] Customizing Announcement of Command Keys

Hello,

I am aware that if you go into the NVDA menu keyboard settings, it is possible to turn on and off the announcement of command keys. I am wondering if there is any way to customize this. I want to hear NVDA say control C when I copy text, control V when I paste, but it is very annoying to hear down arrow every time I hit the down arrow. Can I set this so I can hear some of these keystrokes, but not others?

Thanks for any help on this.
David Kingsbury

Rui Fontes

That is a old request.
The discussion about it, I think, it is not yet closed...

Rui

De: David Kingsbury
Data: 18 de setembro de 2017 19:42
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello,

I am aware that if you go into the NVDA menu keyboard settings, it is
possible to turn on and off the announcement of command keys. I am wondering

if there is any way to customize this. I want to hear NVDA say control C
when I copy text, control V when I paste, but it is very annoying to hear
down arrow every time I hit the down arrow. Can I set this so I can hear
some of these keystrokes, but not others?

Thanks for any help on this.
David Kingsbury

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Quentin Christensen

Clipspeak will read the following commands:
  • CTRL+A: Select all
  • CTRL+Z: Undo
  • CTRL+Y: Redo
  • CTRL+X: Cut
  • CTRL+C: Copy
  • CTRL+V: Paste

The idea of a more customisable "speak command keys" comes up from time to time, but the problem is everyone wants different things.  My idea would probably be to have a simple set of options, say checkboxes for groups of keys like:
- function keys
- arrow keys
- modifier keys

etc.

If anyone has a really clear and widely useful variant on that they'd really like to see, do feel free to write it up on GitHub: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Rui Fontes

Hello Quentin!

Please, see:

Is that what you are after? https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html

[...]

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Rui Fontes

Hello Quentin!

Sorry! The previous message have gone out without authorization! Smile!

Please, see:

namely:

ruifontes commented on 15 Nov 2016
A compromise solution:
1 - Considere Enter, and accents like accut accent, grave accent, tilde and
carete, as a character;
2 - Separate arrows from command keys.
That way will have three group of keys;
1 - Typeable characters including Enter and accents;
2 - Arrow keys;
3 - All other keys;

bhavyashah commented on 2 Mar
Hi,
Are there any users who would like to retain announcement of arrow
keys via the Speak command keys option? If absolutely none, removing
arrow keys as a whole from being reported under all settings should be
considered, because it is unlikely and unproductive for anyone to
enable arrow keys while working, or even creating tutorial content for
beginners, or in any scenario I can currently visualize.
Also, adding only Enter to the characters spoken even with the afore
mentioned setting off would be of significant help to beginners, as
many NVDA users and trainers have reported in the past, and shouldn't
have any counter-productive consequences in the UX of other users.
However, Enter in comjunction with other keys, in the form of key
commands, shouldn't be verbalized.
The above two cases have been pretty much unanimously agreed as
expressed in several comments and through various tickets in the past,
and thus I have specifically requested their implementation.
With the arrow keys eliminated and the Enter key spoken, we may have a
clearer picture of the user demand going forward.
Thanks.

Do we need some more issues open to this question?
If you see, my proposal and bhavyashah proposal are identical, with the inclusion of accents in the typeable characters, as they really are.

Rui

<davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:
Hello,

I am aware that if you go into the NVDA menu keyboard settings, it is
possible to turn on and off the announcement of command keys. I am wondering
if there is any way to customize this. I want to hear NVDA say control C
when I copy text, control V when I paste, but it is very annoying to hear
down arrow every time I hit the down arrow. Can I set this so I can hear
some of these keystrokes, but not others?

Thanks for any help on this.
David Kingsbury

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

David Kingsbury

Hello,

Regarding bhavyashaa's comment dated on 2 Mar below, I agree totally. If NVDA just got rid of the arrow keys being announced, it would be OK to hear the other command keys. I am a trainer, and for new users, it is important for them to hear the other keys, even the most basic ones like enter, escape and alt tab. But having to listen to the arrow keys constantly really gets in the way. If this simple fix could be made in the next version of NVDA, it would really help, especially for new users and those who train them.

Regards,\
David Kingsbury

<davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:
Hello,

I am aware that if you go into the NVDA menu keyboard settings, it is
possible to turn on and off the announcement of command keys. I am wondering
if there is any way to customize this. I want to hear NVDA say control C
when I copy text, control V when I paste, but it is very annoying to hear
down arrow every time I hit the down arrow. Can I set this so I can hear
some of these keystrokes, but not others?

Thanks for any help on this.
David Kingsbury

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Rui Fontes

Please, considere mine instead.

Most european and south american languages have diacritics in some letters.
By instance, to make "á", we do:
press acut accent, and nothing is spoken;
pressing "a", and is spoken "a with accent accut.

Regards,

Rui Fontes

<davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:
Hello,

I am aware that if you go into the NVDA menu keyboard settings, it is
possible to turn on and off the announcement of command keys. I am wondering
if there is any way to customize this. I want to hear NVDA say control C
when I copy text, control V when I paste, but it is very annoying to hear
down arrow every time I hit the down arrow. Can I set this so I can hear
some of these keystrokes, but not others?

Thanks for any help on this.
David Kingsbury

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

David Kingsbury

You are right about the accented keys. I just typed in e acute, e grave, etc. and the feedback is quite poor.. Certainly worth improving, but still, get ridf of having to hear the arrow keys.

<davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:
Hello,

I am aware that if you go into the NVDA menu keyboard settings, it is
possible to turn on and off the announcement of command keys. I am wondering
if there is any way to customize this. I want to hear NVDA say control C
when I copy text, control V when I paste, but it is very annoying to hear
down arrow every time I hit the down arrow. Can I set this so I can hear
some of these keystrokes, but not others?

Thanks for any help on this.
David Kingsbury

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Rui Fontes

My proposal is:
A compromise solution:
1 - Considere Enter, and accents like accut accent, grave accent, tilde and carete, as a character;
2 - Separate arrows from command keys.
That way will have three group of keys;
1 - Typeable characters including Enter, diacritics and accents;
2 - Arrow keys;
3 - All other keys;

Regards,

Rui Fontes

<davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:
Hello,

I am aware that if you go into the NVDA menu keyboard settings, it is
possible to turn on and off the announcement of command keys. I am wondering
if there is any way to customize this. I want to hear NVDA say control C
when I copy text, control V when I paste, but it is very annoying to hear
down arrow every time I hit the down arrow. Can I set this so I can hear
some of these keystrokes, but not others?

Thanks for any help on this.
David Kingsbury

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Thanks Rui,

I was sure there had been at least one github thread on this idea, I just couldn't find it when replying last night.

-----Mensagem Original----- De: David Kingsbury
Data: 19 de setembro de 2017 21:18

Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io

<davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

I'm still having out of memory issues with clipspeak in word, but its spurious as if you ignore it and say ok it pastes in any case.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

Submit a tickie on Gethub or whatever that thing is called.

<davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:
Hello,

I am aware that if you go into the NVDA menu keyboard settings, it is
possible to turn on and off the announcement of command keys. I am wondering
if there is any way to customize this. I want to hear NVDA say control C
when I copy text, control V when I paste, but it is very annoying to hear
down arrow every time I hit the down arrow. Can I set this so I can hear
some of these keystrokes, but not others?

Thanks for any help on this.
David Kingsbury

Rui Fontes

Another ticket what for?