Topics

Microsoft Speech Platform

Sharni-Lee Ward

Is MS Speech Platform still compatible with NVDA? It's been several
years since I first installed it and I've changed computers and NVDA's
interface has changed and I don't know if it's still possible to install
Speech Platform in it, which makes me a bit sad because I like those
voices, just not as a default. I've also forgotten how to install them
in NVDA and I can see they're not addon packages, so...

Quentin Christensen

Windows itself comes with Microsoft Speech API version 5 and NVDA will work out of the box with that.  You just need to change the synthesizer - press NVDA+control+s (the NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK) then arrow through the list.

If you are using Windows 10, you now also have the option of Microsoft's new OneCore voices (from NVDA 2017.3).  Again select from the synthesizer list.

With any synthesizer, you can further customise how it sounds by using the voice settings.  Press NVDA+control+v and then tab through the options.

Regards

Quentin

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Michael

I apologize that the material below is not more polished. I just made this
discovery.
Reg test for carrot and parenthesis
My synth for the test below was Microsoft Speech Platform. I found a
problem with this synth.
I tested regular expressions for beginning and ending exponential
expressions.
My syntax for these exponential expressions is that the expressions are
bracketed between (^ and ^).

Regular expression to recognize beginning of exponential expression:
Actual Pattern:
[\(][\^]
Replacement Pattern:
Begin exponent

Regular expression to recognize end of exponential expression:
Actual Pattern:
[\^][\)]
Replacement Pattern:
end of exponent

The regular expression for the end of an exponential expression fails to
recognize the end.
The regular expression for the beginning exponential expression works as
expected.
The two regular expressions are very similar. Why does one work and not the
other?
Here are some test cases:
(^ ^)
(^w+3^)
I then wrote a regular expression to recognize the pair "()", and NVDA sees
the closing parenthesis but not the opening one. Puzzling!

The following synthesizers execute these regular expressions correctly.
Eloquence,
ESpeak NG,
Soft Voice,
Speech Player ESpeak,
SVox Pico Synthesizer,
The following synthesizers did not execute these regular expressions
correctly.
Microsoft Speech API Version 5,
Microsoft Speech Platform
For these last two synthesizers, I input the regular expressions into their
Voice Dictionaries.

(^ w + 3^)
Begin exponent is recognized but not the end of exponent.
So, the two Microsoft synths have a problem, and I do not know how large it
is.

Is MS Speech Platform still compatible with NVDA? It's been several
years since I first installed it and I've changed computers and NVDA's
interface has changed and I don't know if it's still possible to install
Speech Platform in it, which makes me a bit sad because I like those
voices, just not as a default. I've also forgotten how to install them
in NVDA and I can see they're not addon packages, so...

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well before my old Win 10 machine went pop I had the 32 bit speech platform working on that machine so unless Microsoft have made a whoopsy..
if I recall you just needed the main file and the other two voice files installed. I might still have them floating about.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Is MS Speech Platform still compatible with NVDA? It's been several
years since I first installed it and I've changed computers and NVDA's
interface has changed and I don't know if it's still possible to install
Speech Platform in it, which makes me a bit sad because I like those
voices, just not as a default. I've also forgotten how to install them
in NVDA and I can see they're not addon packages, so...

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

If its installed NVDA will use it. I also know that pico and the cdectalk one and sappi 4 still run at least in windows 7, though of course with the limitations that they are old.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Is MS Speech Platform still compatible with NVDA? It's been several
years since I first installed it and I've changed computers and NVDA's
interface has changed and I don't know if it's still possible to install
Speech Platform in it, which makes me a bit sad because I like those
voices, just not as a default. I've also forgotten how to install them
in NVDA and I can see they're not addon packages, so...

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I do have the whole package of voices for speech platform if you are interested along with the run time tingy to get those voices working.

I just looked on my windows 10 creators update machine and there under the synth section is one for speech platform so i have it installed.

I only have the one voice installed called sarah but i could install more if i can see it.

if you are interested i can drop box them.

They are the complete set so will have other languages as well apart from english.

Gene nz

On 9/21/2017 11:29 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
Is MS Speech Platform still compatible with NVDA? It's been several
years since I first installed it and I've changed computers and NVDA's
interface has changed and I don't know if it's still possible to install
Speech Platform in it, which makes me a bit sad because I like those
voices, just not as a default. I've also forgotten how to install them
in NVDA and I can see they're not addon packages, so...

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I only installed Hazel and the 02 American one, but as you say there are others.
[...]

[Image NVDA certified expert]

Peter Beasley

does it work on Windows 7?

Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:45 PM

[...]

I used to have it on a windows 7 machine before i upgraded it to windows 10.

so would be a yes to that.

Gene nz

does it work on Windows 7?

Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:45 PM

[...]

The package is in a zip format it is about 300 meg or so for the whole package.  There is a run time file you need to click on and after that it is the tts voices need to be installed.

The link to the drop boxs account is https://www.dropbox.com/s/zthyyh9kef7repx/Speech%20Platform%2011%20engine%20and%20voices.zip?dl=0

I also have the speech hub package but the add on needs to be installed after speech hub has been installed.

the add on can be found under the following section in windows c: drive then program files x86 then speech hub then nvda add on then just do the usual to install it the add on i mean.

the drop box link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzgos2mu38ss3i1/SpeechHubInstall.exe?dl=0

Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:45 PM

[...]

mr. Chikodinaka Nickarandidum Oguledo

hello hello hello yes it works nvda works with speech Microsoft hazal
it works its instolled on my computer

On 9/22/17, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
[...]

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes most certainly a nice voice, but a little sluggish in xp, but OK for reading, ie profile set up as say all.
One thing though, you may find it says some words oddly so some experimentation in the voice dictionary is needed.
It nearly always says my name as Brian and so I changed it to say Bryan instead!

[...]

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi will these work with windows seven and if so what voices will you get?

If you use it under windows seven?

Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:45 PM

[...]

yes they will they used to be used on a windows 7 machine only the english ones.

I guess it will depend which language you speak and what you install as your tts voices.

Gene n

Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:45 PM

[...]

Microsoft.com voices ooh! there o k
for now

On 9/23/17, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
[...]

Well the speech platform works. I only bothered with the two voices though.
[...]

<wlmailhtml:%7B088C2A3F-783A-4B01-BCD1-4A6A24FDC3BA%7Dmid://00000038/%21cid:part1.8220B976.4A134A92@...>

Peter Beasley

Is there anywhere I can go to listen to a sample of these voices in order to see whether or not I want them.

Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:45 PM

[...]

I am using o old e t I not new e t I new e t I. Microsoft speech. is
o k heather Microsoft is good but I like what I am using now

On 9/24/17, Peter Beasley <pjbeasley23@...> wrote:
[...]

No there is not.

It is basically download and install it might depend which language you speak. In my case only the english ones like sarah pro etc

Gene nz

Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:45 PM

[...]

yes downlode &install with all voices