Problems with IE - nothing speaks

Pettyjohn, Chris G. (FTC)

I'm on the NV Access homepage.  None of the navigation links are spoken when tabbed to. Pressing h does not go through headings, it just says 'h'.  Pressing NVDA+f7 opens a caret browsing dialog box.  What have I done?

Windows 7
IE 11
NVDA 2017.3

Chris Mullins

Hi

It sounds like you are in focus mode and you need to be in browse mode for quick navigation keys to work.  Use the arrow keys to move out of the edit field, then use NVDA+spacebar to toggle between browse/focus mode.  It will either announce focus/browse mode when you press NVDA+spacebar or it will use a sound.  If it sounds like a camera that indicates focus mode whereas browse mode sounds like the clang of an iron bell.  Get into browse mode then the h key will work.

Cheers

Chris 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pettyjohn, Chris G. (FTC)
Sent: 22 September 2017 17:33
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Problems with IE - nothing speaks

I'm on the NV Access homepage.  None of the navigation links are spoken when tabbed to. Pressing h does not go through headings, it just says 'h'.  Pressing NVDA+f7 opens a caret browsing dialog box.  What have I done?

Windows 7
IE 11
NVDA 2017.3

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes unless its broken for some other reason. If what has been suggested does not work, come back with a bit more details of what you have tried, ie other browsers or if you have uninstalled anything just beforehand.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with IE - nothing speaks

Hi

It sounds like you are in focus mode and you need to be in browse mode for quick navigation keys to work. Use the arrow keys to move out of the edit field, then use NVDA+spacebar to toggle between browse/focus mode. It will either announce focus/browse mode when you press NVDA+spacebar or it will use a sound. If it sounds like a camera that indicates focus mode whereas browse mode sounds like the clang of an iron bell. Get into browse mode then the h key will work.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pettyjohn, Chris G. (FTC)
Sent: 22 September 2017 17:33
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Problems with IE - nothing speaks

I'm on the NV Access homepage. None of the navigation links are spoken when tabbed to. Pressing h does not go through headings, it just says 'h'. Pressing NVDA+f7 opens a caret browsing dialog box. What have I done?

Windows 7
IE 11
NVDA 2017.3

Oh boy, I hear nothing with NVDA+spacebar.

Recently I was seeing if i could create an app module for IE and certain websites so I had an iexplorer.py file in the app module folder. But i deleted that and the .pyo file when i noticed issues.

Gene

Never delete files when you don't know what they do.  Back them up and then delete them from their original location, making sure you know, making a note if necessary, what folder it is in.  It sounds to me as though this file is a part of NVDA.  You may have to reinstall NVDA to get the file gback. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 2:23 PM

Recently I was seeing if i could create an app module for IE and certain websites so I had an iexplorer.py file in the app module folder. But i deleted that and the .pyo file when i noticed issues.

i created the iexplore.py file. I was experimenting on an app module for a specific website.  i only had a keystroke binded to a method. The method displayed a message box with the foreground windows name in it. So i don't think deleting a file i created can be the problem. But who knows. Should i reinstall NVDA?

Gene

I have no idea.  It doesn't sound as though deleting the file should cause the proboem but if it happened immediately after and you hadn't done anything else, then in some way, it may have.  If you want to, you can run NVDA from the installer and test it with your browser.  That should tell you if reinstalling it will solve the problem. 

If you don't want to lose settings in NVDA, you could use the currently installed version to make a portable copy with all your current settings preserved, and then you could run the portable copy and try installing from that copy after you remove the currently installed file.  I don't know if the problem will be incorporated into the portable and installed versions and other list members probably know how to save your settings in a clean installation but that's one suggestion.
Gene

Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 4:07 PM

i created the iexplore.py file. I was experimenting on an app module for a specific website.  i only had a keystroke binded to a method. The method displayed a message box with the foreground windows name in it. So i don't think deleting a file i created can be the problem. But who knows. Should i reinstall NVDA?

Reinstall nvda then.

Never delete or mess with a file unless you can restore it. I always keep a portable version of the current config so I can just reinstall over any mess I might make.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

From: "Pettyjohn, Chris G. (FTC)" <Chris.Pettyjohn@va.gov>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 8:23 PM

Recently I was seeing if i could create an app module for IE and certain websites so I had an iexplorer.py file in the app module folder. But i deleted that and the .pyo file when i noticed issues.

I think I'd try this first, and then do a system restart, it would also be instructive to know if it works with other browsers or indeed with a portable copy of nvda as well.

The problem is with any changes to files in nvda, sometimes the system can complile them and put them elsewhere for execution. If its still there you might need to take your system set up folder away, uninstall nvda completely, clean out all folders then reinstall and copy your system settings back. This is where a portable version can be used to see if its nvda or not. Its pretty obvious that if it works in the portable version and not in the main one, then the main one is screwed up.
I have just had to do this with the master snapshot, but I got away with looking at file dates and only deleting the most recently updated ones and letting nvda fix the rest.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 10:07 PM

i created the iexplore.py file. I was experimenting on an app module for a specific website. i only had a keystroke binded to a method. The method displayed a message box with the foreground windows name in it. So i don't think deleting a file i created can be the problem. But who knows. Should i reinstall NVDA?

hi.
do reinstall nvda.
i have your experience.
i deleted some pyo files that i thought they are not essential, after
deleteing each one, i realized that nvda even did not start!
also one time, delete one line from global commands.pyo and recieve
the same result!
hope that help, God bless you.

On 9/23/17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I think I'd try this first, and then do a system restart, it would also be
instructive to know if it works with other browsers or indeed with a
portable copy of nvda as well.

The problem is with any changes to files in nvda, sometimes the system can
complile them and put them elsewhere for execution. If its still there you
might need to take your system set up folder away, uninstall nvda
completely, clean out all folders then reinstall and copy your system
settings back. This is where a portable version can be used to see if its
nvda or not. Its pretty obvious that if it works in the portable version and

not in the main one, then the main one is screwed up.
I have just had to do this with the master snapshot, but I got away with
looking at file dates and only deleting the most recently updated ones and
letting nvda fix the rest.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

i created the iexplore.py file. I was experimenting on an app module for a
specific website. i only had a keystroke binded to a method. The method
displayed a message box with the foreground windows name in it. So i don't
think deleting a file i created can be the problem. But who knows. Should i

reinstall NVDA?

--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the entire creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration from prophet Mohammad is:
indeed, imam husayn is the beacon of guidance and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
www.al-islam.org

Yes when it sees a change it recompiles the files. The problem is that the error that can be generated this way will be pretty hard to understand. I really have to say, always have a working copy somewhere as a portable, and I tend to put a desktop shortcut to that set with a specific hot key and also run a batch file that closes the old copy down before it launches the new version, just in case its stuck.

@echo off
start /w nvda.exe -q
start nvda.exe

Use this as the nvda.bat and put it into the folder of the portable copy and make a shortcut to it and there you are.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 9:58 AM

hi.
do reinstall nvda.
i have your experience.
i deleted some pyo files that i thought they are not essential, after
deleteing each one, i realized that nvda even did not start!
also one time, delete one line from global commands.pyo and recieve
the same result!
hope that help, God bless you.

On 9/23/17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I think I'd try this first, and then do a system restart, it would also be
instructive to know if it works with other browsers or indeed with a
portable copy of nvda as well.

The problem is with any changes to files in nvda, sometimes the system can
complile them and put them elsewhere for execution. If its still there you
might need to take your system set up folder away, uninstall nvda
completely, clean out all folders then reinstall and copy your system
settings back. This is where a portable version can be used to see if its
nvda or not. Its pretty obvious that if it works in the portable version and

not in the main one, then the main one is screwed up.
I have just had to do this with the master snapshot, but I got away with
looking at file dates and only deleting the most recently updated ones and
letting nvda fix the rest.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

i created the iexplore.py file. I was experimenting on an app module for a
specific website. i only had a keystroke binded to a method. The method
displayed a message box with the foreground windows name in it. So i don't
think deleting a file i created can be the problem. But who knows. Should i

reinstall NVDA?

--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the entire creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration from prophet Mohammad is:
indeed, imam husayn is the beacon of guidance and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
www.al-islam.org

Tony Ballou

Howdy,

You may need some sighted assistance doing this but it should fix things. 

Troubleshooting - NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your browsers, Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places
If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or “pane” check for the following symptoms:

In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot get into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and other strange behaviour in Windows

The running applications icons are not being spoken out
It might be a good idea to do the following:
Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed above) NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may not be completely in Windows and other programmes.
You could try the following solution which will allow you to re-register your dll files in case they are causing the problem.
Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box. Type in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in the search results, press the Applications key to bring up the context menu. Arrow down to select “run as administrator” and press the Enter key. This will take you to a command prompt window. This will not be spoken out. You may need sighted assistance for this.
Type in the following command
for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x
This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.
When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with the Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying “unknown” as in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons in the running applications area of Windows, speak the content of the webpage and menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other places in Windows including the Windows applications context menu.

Hope this helps.

Tony
On 9/22/2017 12:32 PM, Pettyjohn, Chris G. (FTC) wrote:

Windows 7
IE 11
NVDA 2017.3

Virus-free. www.avast.com

thanks, will do.