Slightly off topic, dev list what does this mean

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I like a server with a sense of humour!

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Re: [Nvda-devel] Python 3: puzzle pieces coming together, let us start porting or making our add-ons compatible with 2 and 3", could not be delivered to nvda-devel@lists.sourceforge.net.

The remote mail system said;
550:This message scored 8.4 points. Congratulations!

Well I wonder what i win.
For context I was attempting to configure an email client to post to the account that is subscribed to that list. I'm sure there are some knowledgable folk out there who recognises the error numbe. My guess is that it might have gone via a server on another isp.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Antony Stone

550 means "fatal error - mail could not be delivered"

The "8.4 points" is most likely an anti-spam filter result (quite possibly from
SpamAssassin).

Basically this combination means that the mail server refused to deliver your
email to the list because it looked like spam, according to whatever tests are
done by that server.

Antony.

On Sunday 24 September 2017 at 13:29:55, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

I like a server with a sense of humour!

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Re: [Nvda-devel]
Python 3: puzzle pieces coming together, let us start porting or making
our add-ons compatible with 2 and 3", could not be delivered to
nvda-devel@lists.sourceforge.net.

The remote mail system said;
550:This message scored 8.4 points. Congratulations!

Well I wonder what i win.
For context I was attempting to configure an email client to post to the
account that is subscribed to that list. I'm sure there are some
knowledgable folk out there who recognises the error numbe. My guess is
that it might have gone via a server on another isp.
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

- Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Ah, I see, maybe the server is on some black list then. That is the server at my end of course.

This is probably why some messages do fail to get posted on some lists if there is a listing which of course the average punter would not know about.

Thanks I'll just monitor the situation on that list and in the mean time post from a different system.

Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Are you personally running your own mail server, or do you send mail through
your ISP's server?

If you're running your own mail server, is it on a static address with correct
reverse DNS records?

Antony.

Groups.Io wrote:
I like a server with a sense of humour!

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Re: [Nvda-devel]
Python 3: puzzle pieces coming together, let us start porting or making
our add-ons compatible with 2 and 3", could not be delivered to
nvda-devel@lists.sourceforge.net.

The remote mail system said;

550:This message scored 8.4 points. Congratulations!

Well I wonder what i win.

For context I was attempting to configure an email client to post to
the account that is subscribed to that list. I'm sure there are some
knowledgable folk out there who recognises the error numbe. My guess is
that it might have gone via a server on another isp.

"If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - stop exaggerating!"

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

No its an isp. And this problem has happened before. I tend now to have two accounts one on my isp and one on gmail or similar and usually if one has this problem the other does not, in a few days things normally get resolved. The only odd thing is that normal groups.io is affected as well and you have to re enable things but this time its only sourceforge that has complained but I've switched over to the other server.
I think that what often happens is that it gets on one list but not on others due to some person who is on your isp getting their machine botted.

All very irritating but a sign of the times I imagine.

Groups.Io wrote:
I like a server with a sense of humour!

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Re: [Nvda-devel]
Python 3: puzzle pieces coming together, let us start porting or making
our add-ons compatible with 2 and 3", could not be delivered to
nvda-devel@lists.sourceforge.net.

The remote mail system said;

550:This message scored 8.4 points. Congratulations!

Well I wonder what i win.

For context I was attempting to configure an email client to post to
the account that is subscribed to that list. I'm sure there are some
knowledgable folk out there who recognises the error numbe. My guess is
that it might have gone via a server on another isp.

"If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - stop exaggerating!"

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

I'm sure I got something similar to that message you received. That's why I was asking aobut the development list. I sent a message there, and it said I wasn't subscribed and other stuff I cannot recall at this time.

On 9/25/2017 10:59 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
No its an isp. And this problem has happened before. I tend now to have two accounts one on my isp and one on gmail or similar and usually if one has this problem the other does not, in a few days things normally get resolved. The only odd thing is that normal groups.io  is affected as well and you have to re enable things but this time its only sourceforge that has complained but I've switched over to the other server.
I think that what often happens is that it gets on one list but not on others due to some person who is on  your isp getting their machine botted.

All very irritating but a sign of the times I imagine.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Antony Stone" <antony.stone@...>

--
"If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - stop exaggerating!"

                                                  Please reply to the list;
                                                        please *don't* CC me.

Antony Stone

Getting a reply from the list server saying the address you sent from is not
subscribed is very different indeed from getting an error 550 "undeliverable"
to the list server's own address.

Antony.

<antony.stone@nvda.open.source.it>

550 means "fatal error - mail could not be delivered"

The "8.4 points" is most likely an anti-spam filter result (quite
possibly from SpamAssassin).

Basically this combination means that the mail server refused to >
deliver your email to the list because it looked like spam, according
to whatever tests are done by that server.

Antony.
--
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes managed that one as well.. grin.
That happens if you inadvertently put in reply to a different address to the one you send from. Confuses the heck out of dumnb email list servers...