Speech Dictionary

Annemiek van Leendert

In the old version of NVDA there was a map ”UserConfig”. In this map was a map called “SpeechDicts” . In it was a file called ”default”. In this file you could read the content of the speech dictionary.
Where can I find this file in the new version of NVDA ???

Annemiek van Leendert

werkdagen: woensdag en vrijdag

Expertise: rekenen en wiskunde voor leerlingen met een visuele beperking

Koninklijke Visio
Expertisecentrum voor slechtziende en blinde mensen
Heindijk 4
3079 PM Rotterdam
www.visio.org

DISCLAIMER. De informatie verzonden met dit e-mailbericht is uitsluitend bestemd
voor de geadresseerde. Gebruik van deze informatie door anderen dan de
geadresseerde is verboden. Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging,
verspreiding en/of verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is niet
toegestaan. Visio staat niet in voor de juiste en volledige
overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mail, noch voor tijdige
ontvangst daarvan.

Annemiek van Leendert

Dear group,
I don't need help anymore. I just tried something and it worked.

[...]

Antony Stone

When reporting something like this, please also explain what it was you did,
because that can help other people in the future who encounter the same
problem.

Thanks,

Antony.

Van: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> namens Annemiek van Leendert
<annemiekleendert@visio.org> Verzonden: maandag 25 september 2017 12:25
Aan: nvda@nvda.groups.io

--
Pavlov is in the pub enjoying a pint.
The barman rings for last orders, and Pavlov jumps up exclaiming "Damn! I

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Annemiek van Leendert

You are right. But I don’t know what really happened. At the beginning, I did not have a map called userConfig. And now, I have a map with this name with about 8 other maps in it. I did not make this map myself!!?. I hope that someone can explain this.In the map userConfig is a map SpeechDicts

I downloaded NVDA again on another laptop (portable version, like I did before). There was (and is) NO map called userConfig .

Van: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> namens Annemiek van Leendert
<annemiekleendert@visio.org> Verzonden: maandag 25 september 2017 12:25
Aan: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

When you say old how far are we going back. At the moment speech dics are created when you configure a voice or a global dictionary. Normally they go into the system config on an installed copy and the user config on a portable one. recent changes in developments snapshots have renamed some of the dictionaries, and caused problems when updating like the apparent loss of entries or inability to delete or copy files. However if you have been using that release versions there have been no such changes, to my knowledge.
I'm assuming you have not been editing these manually and accidentally made one corrupt or delleted it.
Normally if no dictionary exists you do not notice. Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

See my previous answer.
Its always user in the portable version but system in the installed one and when you copy the current config so it can be used on the hard to read screens like log in and system ones, it normally warns you that the system config in the users area and in the program files area are going to be the same after you do that.
User configs are only in the portable version and remember that cannot access the protected screens and indeed some other content if you are using windows 10.

Van: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> namens Annemiek van Leendert
<annemiekleendert@visio.org> Verzonden: maandag 25 september 2017 12:25
Aan: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Thank you very much for your answer.

Van: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> namens Annemiek van
Leendert
<annemiekleendert@visio.org> Verzonden: maandag 25 september 2017 12:25
Aan: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Yes, please tell us what was the problem and the fix. Thank you.
Howard

Van: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> namens Annemiek van Leendert
<annemiekleendert@visio.org> Verzonden: maandag 25 september 2017 12:25
Aan: nvda@nvda.groups.io

In the old version of NVDA there was a map ”UserConfig”. In this map was a
map called “SpeechDicts” . In it was a file called ”default”. In this file
you could read the content of the speech dictionary. Where can I find this
file in the new version of NVDA ???

Annemiek van Leendert
--
Pavlov is in the pub enjoying a pint.
The barman rings for last orders, and Pavlov jumps up exclaiming "Damn! I
forgot to feed the dog!"

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Giles Turnbull

I'm using Win10 and the default and voice dictionaries are in: appdata/roaming/NVDA/speechDicts

you'll find the appdata folder in C:\users\ and then whichever name your account is.

I find it easier to open that default.dic file in Notepad and searching for the word there to figure out whether I've already got a specific word in a dictionary, than I do starting at the top of the entries in the dictionary menu.

Hope that helps :)

Giles

Chris Mullins

For the installed version of NVDA, voice dictionary files are stored in the
User\Appdata\Roaming\NVDA\Speech Dicts folder but you need to enable view
hidden files and folders to access it.

Cheers
Chris

Van: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> namens Annemiek van
Leendert
<annemiekleendert@visio.org> Verzonden: maandag 25 september 2017 12:25
Aan: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

It helps!
Thank you very much.
Kind regards,
Annemiek

[...]

Which is something I always do for my machines as otherwise it becomes annoying.

It like that silly default of hiding file extensions Windows tends to use. Silly if you want to be sure an attachment is not malware.

Van: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> namens Annemiek van
Leendert
<annemiekleendert@visio.org> Verzonden: maandag 25 september 2017 12:25
Aan: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

I'd be very careful directly editing this file, it can corrupt it. However a copy also exists in the installed copy of the main program files (x86) folder.
It was a mismatch here that caused nvda to fall over on updates recently when the name of the espeak .dic file for English changed with no warning. Brian