replying to individuals rather than the entire list

Don H

How does one reply to the originator of a message sent to the list versus the entire list?

Thanks

Antony Stone

Well, er, you send your reply to the originator of the message?

Sorry, but I really don't quite understand the question - the answer seems so
obvious.

In your case you sent an email from "Don H" <lmddh50@adams.net> therefore this
is the address I would reply to if I wanted to send only to you and not to the
entire list.

All emails I see on this list show the address of the person who sent it as
the "From" address (and the list itself as the "To" address), therefore for me
the distinction is quite clear.

Maybe it would help if you tell us which email client you use and what it
shows you as the "From" or "Sender" address for emails from this list, then we
can help to reduce your confusion.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Salad is what food eats.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Adriano Barbieri

Hi Don,

With this list, if I reply to the sender, write to the list.
I use Outlook express 5 on windows XP;
I find the sender from the message properties, from the tab "Details", I'm looking for the string "From:" which is followed by the sender address.

Cheers
Adriano

How does one reply to the originator of a message sent to the list versus the entire list?

Thanks

.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well the reply address as used here is the list address. I think this is his point.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Well most clients tend to use the reply address not the from address, unfortunately, and the header in this message looks like this.
for <nvda@nvda.groups.io>; Mon, 25 Sep 2017 18:20:01 -0400 (EDT)
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
From: "Don H" <lmddh50@adams.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:20:33 -0500
Sender: nvda@nvda.groups.io

So pressing reply will default to the list not yourself.
I'm not very well up in Tbird but maybe thereis a shortcut key for reply to originator not the list. I have tto say I tend to look at the header and just cut and paste the email I want into the forward to field and then use that to reply to sender.
There is probably an easier way in this Outlook Express but being a boring old git...grin.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

How does one reply to the originator of a message sent to the list versus the entire list?

Thanks

Chris

Yeah, but if you do a bit of searching through the group you should be able to find the email of the person you want to contact

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

From: "Don H" <lmddh50@...>

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:20:33 -0500

Thunderbird/52.3.0

Sender: nvda@nvda.groups.io

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

> How does one reply to the originator of a message sent to the list versus

> the entire list?

> Thanks

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Don,

I am using Outlook 2016

I get hold of the individual email from the header of the message when I first read it. At that stage the email of the sender is showing at the top of the header. I press control+home to move to the top line of the open message. I then press alt+right arrow to move word by word to the email address of the sender. Once it is spoken, NVDA has it highlighted and so I can copy it for use later after I press alt+r to open a reply to the message.

I did that here and pasted your email in the cc field of this message. If I have it right, you should get this message twice.

Feel free to reply to me privately if you wish. That way you can have a go at trapping my email address from the global version of the message using the technique that I am describing!

All the best,

Cearbhall

From: "Don H" <lmddh50@adams.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:20:33 -0500