The Dev list and blacklisting of mail servers

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Just in case anyone has seen bounces from that list as I have my investigations seem to suggest that they aare using a blacklisting service called sorbs, and several ISPs mail servers are now on it, which either results in a no post or a bounce.
I suppose its up to those isps to get rid of the spammer in their systems and apply for removal from the list.
I thought I'd mention it here as its quite a new addition to the reasons for emails to lists to not appear. At present, IO seems to not be affected, but sourceforge is getting more and more picky on its message acceptances.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

John J. Boyer

I hate server blacklists. it's a crude way to fight spam. My servers have been lacklisted at least twice. I think that
is worse than spam!s

John

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 08:36:05AM +0100, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Just in case anyone has seen bounces from that list as I have my
investigations seem to suggest that they aare using a blacklisting service
called sorbs, and several ISPs mail servers are now on it, which either
results in a no post or a bounce.
I suppose its up to those isps to get rid of the spammer in their systems
and apply for removal from the list.
I thought I'd mention it here as its quite a new addition to the reasons for
emails to lists to not appear. At present, IO seems to not be affected, but
sourceforge is getting more and more picky on its message acceptances.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
that are available at no cost

Antony Stone

If that genuinely is the problem, then the list administrators / owners should
be asked to consider moving the list to a service which does not use
blacklisting.

Antony.

--
Someone has stolen all the toilets from New Scotland Yard. Police say they
have absolutely nothing to go on.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well that was the entry I pasted from the last bounce. Most seem to go and are never seen again, occasionally one gets through. Have a look at any bounce headers you do get.
I've reposted the offending email this morning and done a please ignore test and neither seem to be on the list.
I've also noticed that messages in many lists are arriving out of order which makes me look a pillock for replying several times since the emails I should have replied to arrive after the ones replying to it. this seems to be the case on lists from my gmail and my virgin accounts, so I can only suspect that its some kind of checking going on for spam.

Email used to be easy in the good old days!

Groups.Io wrote:
Just in case anyone has seen bounces from that list as I have my
investigations seem to suggest that they aare using a blacklisting
service called sorbs, and several ISPs mail servers are now on it, which
either results in a no post or a bounce.
I suppose its up to those isps to get rid of the spammer in their
systems and apply for removal from the list.
I thought I'd mention it here as its quite a new addition to the reasons
for emails to lists to not appear. At present, IO seems to not be
affected, but sourceforge is getting more and more picky on its message
acceptances. Brian
--
Someone has stolen all the toilets from New Scotland Yard. Police say they
have absolutely nothing to go on.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

sender-domain
0.5 RCVD_IN_SORBS_SPAM RBL: SORBS: sender is a spam source
[80.0.253.70 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]

I'm not sure how this works as other lists do not list the range my current IP is in or its mail servers.
its all a bit of a black art to me.
[...]

Gene

It isn’t the list server that uses black listing.  Some providers don’t alllow certain domains because they are sending a lot of spam.

Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 5:10 AM

--
Someone has stolen all the toilets from New Scotland Yard.  Police say they
have absolutely nothing to go on.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Its lists that you can subscribe too as an email provider really, whether you use a black list for the email lists run on your system is surely up to that system, but Sourceforge obviously do. I note that two messages on that list have appeared, in one case over a day after I sent it.
I'm sure if I looked at the headers I'd see a delay somewhere. I'm still waiting for the crucial email I sent to appear which is probably not going to occur now and as there are now two test emails there, I do not want to get moaned at by the list owner, though I'm sure they realise the frustration of this effect is really bad for business so to speak!