WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

Bhavya shah

Dear all,
Since almost a decade, WebAim, a non-profit web accessibility
consultancy organisation, has been conducting an annual (sometimes
biennial) survey, which, as its name implies, attempts to gather
statistics about the usage share of different screen readers,
technology (particularly Internet) accessibility trends, etc. so as to
aid analysts, researchers, accessibility consultants, sighted
developers, and mainstream companies to get a quantified picture of
the state of the AT industry.
While this survey features participation from varied geographies,
NVDA’s user base, at least in my personal view, has always been
understated. While 8% respondents of the first December 2008 WebAim
survey reported to be NVDA users, this figure has only increased to
14% of respondents in its 2015 counterpart claiming to use NVDA as
their primary screen reader and 41% using it commonly, a usage share
substantially lower than NVDA’s commercial and more expensive screen
reading alternatives.
I think it would be a great way of playing our tiny part in getting
the word out about NVDA’s viability and competency if all NVDA
community members, users, testers and other related parties,
particularly from second and third world developing regions which
often remain silent for such surveys but where free and open source
NVDA makes a prominent impact, take this survey and contribute to
letting the world know about the size and standing of the NVDA user
base.
The URL of said survey is https://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey7/ .
It took me about ten minutes to fill this survey and the form was
extremely accessible. Not only from an NVDA angle, but filling such
surveys always brings out useful and reflective data, which, in turn,
betters AT as a whole. Therefore, I urge everyone to take some time
out for this survey so that we can make the data truly reflective of
the actualities.
Thanks.
P.S. I am in no way affiliated to WebAim nor is my intention to merely
promote this survey.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Hi,
I would like to stress that people should show willingness to participate in this survey. Last time, a screen reader vendor did promote this survey heavily, which resulted in unintended side effect of skewing the resulting data, and I do not want to see someone repeating that. Promotion is good, but I think using this survey as a fuel for promoting NVDA isn't a good idea; rather, it is better to promote NVDA on a continual basis, not during big events like this.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@... Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125 Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Bhavya shah

Hi Joseph,
While I agree with what you are trying to convey, I do sincerely
believe that NVDA usage shares are sometimes underrepresented due to
limited disemination of this survey within the NVDA community (which
consists of people from Asia, Africa and South America, regions less
active in the context of such surveys). While I acknowledge that my
wording of this mail may have been of a promotional nature, I would
like to reiterate that our core intent in filling surveys like
WebAim's screen reader user survey should be to provide more data
about the AT industry to interested parties so as to make it more
reflective of the actualities. Having said that, I would highly
encourage users of NVDA as well as other Desktop and mobile screen
readers to participate enthusiastically in such surveys on their own
volition.
Thanks.

.
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I already took it as I use nvda, voiceover and talkback so I talked about all 3 on there to the best of my ability.

Take care

On Sep 30, 2017, at 6:36 AM, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:

[...]

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

I totally agree with you dude.

On 9/30/2017 9:24 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

I do also feel though that whoever writes the questions makes some assumptions as well.
The fact is, although there are blind people I know using smart phones, most are young and most people I know are not young, well over 45 lets say, and seldom use mobile smart tech, and if they do they seldom do much on them.

Most have either second hand laptops or desktops with probably windows 7 on them 32 bit in the main. I do know a lot of people still using xp and indeed I'm writing this on an old xp machine now, but its not my main machine as its so slow compared with even a machine about 5 years old!

[...]

I also feel the same. There is a lot wrong with the survey . It's as if the student(s) did not take an intro to assessment writing where we had to do stuff like this. I'm not grate at this stuff either, however it could be a lot better in my humble opinion.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 12:30 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:

I do also feel though that whoever writes the questions makes some assumptions as well.
The fact is, although there are blind people I know using smart phones, most are young and most people I know are not young, well over 45 lets say, and seldom use mobile smart tech, and if they do they seldom do much on them.

Most have either second hand laptops or desktops with probably windows 7 on them 32 bit in the main. I do know a lot of people still using xp and indeed I'm writing this on an old xp machine now, but its not my main machine as its so slow compared with even a machine about 5 years old!

Brian
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lino Morales" <linomorales001@...>
[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Brian

Where i live here in new zealand I know of 80 plus year old people using smart phones actually there are quite a few they just need to be showed how to drive it and once up and running they love it.

here they are also doing a trial of i pads to be used as talking book machines etc with all all ages and quite a few of them are in there 60s, 70, and 80s.

There are young ones at times teaching the oldies to use ther i pad and then it is not much of a step to a touch phone if you get what i mean.

Gene nz

On 10/1/2017 8:30 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

There is a 90 year old in my class who uses an iphone, but she expects siri to do everythign or her, which won't work, and she has almost no use of her hands, so she goes thrugh a challenge every day.. It can be done though. I know of sever vi people who use nvda and they are older.

Take care

On Sep 30, 2017, at 1:40 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

hi Bhavya

I have been following the surveys after they  survey  has finished.

I have also been noticing that the number of jaws users have been dropping along with a few of the commercial screen users and magnifiers etc.

Also the use of mobile units starting to rise as in the use of android and apple devices that can go portable.

For me mostly home use is nvda 100 percent of the time and if mobile a android device.

Gene nz

On 10/1/2017 2:20 AM, Bhavya shah wrote:
[...]

Wow, interesting. I'm not surprised. I wonder what we'll see this year now that a lot of us are switching to nvda and or android and or voiceover.

Take care

On Oct 1, 2017, at 9:34 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

The sample size is very small in these surveys,  but they definitely show the paradigm shift and I won't be surprised at all to see mobile, mac voiceover, and nvda useage up, and jaws useage down.  Window-eyes use should fall right off the charts since the product is discontinued.  This will help slow the skid of jaws, but I think at least as many window-eyes switchers made it to NVDA as to jaws, despite the fact that jaws 18 was a free upgrade for Many window-eyes users.

Since the new paradigm puts the blind more or less on an equal playing field, and social, legal and economic trends all support moving in that direction it shouldn't be too surprising that blind users want it more and more.  I have thought for years that 2021 is about the final stopping point for old paradigm designs, particularly the personal computer, but I can see a lot of tradition going by the board by then.  This is all good for us, and it's nice to have something concreet to demonstrate the trend we can all see happening around us.

Have fun,

Erik

On October 2, 2017 12:57:37 AM "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@...> wrote:

[...]

Sky Mundell

I totally agree with you Erick. The education institutions that deliver equipment to students in Vancouver and around BC and here in Victoria haven’t really embraced NVDA but I can see them embracing NVDA sooner rather than later. Remember, FS always saw its main competition, Window-Eyes as a threat. Since the main competition is now gone, , eventually VFO could raise the price of JAWS a lot higher, say, to $10000 or so, and that would force educational institutions to go with NVDA.

[...]

Hi Sky,

I don't see the price of jaws going up.  It's an interesting theory, but all the evidence suggests VFO is consolidating, hammering away on their commercial exclusivities, and battoning down to milk the next four years or so for as much money as there is in the pot.  Then they will bow out.  With the looming end of the desktop pc, the rise of nvda, voiceover, and mobile, and the gradual demise of special funding for government and education special access, there won't be a market share for jaws in any form soon.

Just to keep this on topic, I'm using nvda in my college courses and it's handling sequal server like a boss.  I still prefer mobile to do my html and java script courses as well as my math, but I need windows debuggers.  I'm totally good with how NVDA is handling windows 10, microsoft edge, and win 10 mail.  The college has a five point floating site licence for Jaws because another student asked for jaws support, but I believe my technologist is working to get NVDA into the working disk images for the labs and library systems, as well as setting up some sort of corporate donation program for NVDA.  The death of the desktop will kill jaws, and may take NVDA with it, but til then, I'm so happy with NVDA, and I think the college is too.

On October 2, 2017 4:01:24 PM "Sky Mundell" <skyt@...> wrote:

[...]

Why would the owners of JAWS commit suicide or strongly encourage purchasers not to use their product by doing something ridiculous, as you suggest?  They won't.  I don't know if they will try different prices as time goes on to get the most profit from the most or optimum number of sales, but that is different from behaving irrationally.  Is this part of the JAWS is greedy and can charge anything it wants argument?  It doesn't matter in the context of this argument, that I've heard for two decades with no meaningful proof given, whether JAWS is greedy or not.  What matters is that JAWS doesn't exist in a vacuum.  It may charge what the market will bear but it still operates in a market.  If institutions are willing to pay a price, JAWS may decide to charge it.  But that doesn't mean that institutions are irrational.  They aren't going to accept a thousand percent price rise of a product just because JAWS owners decide to try to charge it.

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 3:00 PM

[...]

Accessibility laws change the game.  The market for jaws is different from the market of most other products.  The primary target market doesn't actually use the product.  The reason commercial screen readers are sustainable is that governments in developed countrys have legislated that the government must accept the financial cost of communication aids for people with print disabilities as a means of leveling the playing field.  That is why the cost of the tecchnologies has always been out of reach for most blind consumers, and very little to do with the development cost and comparitive small size of the market as most commercial access technologists claim.

So, there's no evidence to suggest that vfo or any company is planning to jack up prices even higher than they already are, but there are legislative hooks that might allow them to if they wanted.

I really think though that they are battoning down and preparing to ride out the end times with what they have.  The consolidation has pretty much taken place.  A few straglers haven't bought in or bowed out, but they have unique markets of their own.

The government funding that constitutes the primary support for products like jaws is on the severe decline as the use cases for the products over cheeper less specialized alternatives growes less and less by the day.  If the size of the market dictated the price as they always claimed, then considering the dwindling share of the market controlled by commercial AT, it makes sense that the price would go up, especially in the case of VFO's new exclusivity agreements in geographic regions that were either not controlled or controlled by companies that are no more.  The odd thing is, with NVDA distributed free as a noncommercial product, I doubt it falls under the commercial exclusivity agreements anyhow.

Best,

Erik

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 3:00 PM

[...]

That is not correct and I've seen that argument many times.  JAWS is expensive because it is a specialized product with a tiny market.  If Windows had the number of users JAWS has, it would be  exorbitantly expensive as well.  It's mass production with enormous customer bases that makes most manufactured products we use inexpensive.  You can argue about whether institutions could cause the price of JAWS to be lower by negotiating, I don't know if the owners of JAWS charge more than they need to to make a product.  But anyone on this list who purchases or has purchased a sophisticated computer program that sells to a very small audience will confirm that such products are very expensive.  Institutions may be bureaucratic but they aren't fools.  Entrepreneurs are creative and inventive.  If it were possible to have a screen-reader with the power and sophistication of JAWS for significantly less, someone would have entered the market at a cheaper price.  They've had more than two decades to do so in the case of Windows screen-readers.  Where are they, or even one?

The only way a powerful screen-reader has been developed that is within the reach of a lot of blind people is to completely work outside of the for profit model.  NVDA is free because it is not a for profit product and relies on people working for about minimum wage, grants, and volunteers to develop and create add ons.  Which proves my point.  Someone else did fill the need for a screen-reader for people who can't afford a for profit screen--reader but it was outside of the for profit model.  Entrepreneurs are creative and motivated enough that, as I said, if a for profit screen-reader could be developed  for a significantly cheaper price, it would have been long ago.

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 3:00 PM

[...]

Lots of for proffit companies made free or low cost screen readers.  Serotek for one.  Apple for another.  I'd say both companies were successful to one degree or another.  So, why didn't we see governments lining up to pay for system access?  Well, to a lesser extent some did, but if screen readers cost less, then the funding becomes less and the portfoleos of nondisabled people making big money from accessibility legislation shrink.  We certainly don't want that.  But even at that, system access and the system access network lasted for a very long time, largely on consumer driven support.

NVDA didn't succeed because it was not for proffit.  It succeded because of the dedication of the people who started it, and the following those founders were able to inspire.  It's sustainable because of the people who work on it.  The fact that it is non for proffit gives it certain advantages such as the fact that it can't be subsumed by a for proffit.  Lots of free windows screen readers entered and left the market in the past 10 years.  NVDA is the only one to thrive, much less survive, and it's because of the talendt, and the management.

Then again, the fact that NVDA itself is non for proffit hasn't prevented the organization from accepting grants and sponsorships from for proffit companies, and whatever I may think of those companies individually, the output from those grants contributed to the general effectiveness of NVDA, which lead to more adoption which lead to donation revinue, which lead to more improvements until we have the body of work which now is viable enough to stand up to a commercial product in the vast majority of situations.

So, we'll have to agree to disagree on this.  I've heard all the arguments for nearly as long as you have.  I'll allow there was a time when they may have made sense to one degree or another.  Certainly the first opticon and kurzweil reading machine costed enormously more in terms of research and development than say the knfb reader mobile app.  In fact, vast commercial uses for scanning, ocr, text to speech, dictation, and other technologies developed for disability communities are prevailant and highly intergrated into modern society.  Accessibility legislation is between 25 and 50 years old.  Commercial standards for developing things to be accessible are well established and supported by legislation.  Time and talent still cost money, but we stand on the shoulders of giants.  It's not what it was in the late 70's and early 80's.  Completely different situation.

Best,

Erik

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 3:00 PM

[...]

Adriani Botez

I also see the development of NVDA being driven not just from an economical perspective, but from a social point of view as well. Lots of people actually understood what a screen reader gives to them, and this is far more equal access to information than braille or any other special device designed to bring information to individuals with visual disabilities. The point is that lots of people became aware that a sighted person does not have to pay anything to access day to day information. Whereas blind of visually impaired have to pay ridiculous prices for getting information. This type of business is actually unfair because it put a sort of break on the development of children or caused huge unemployment among people with visual disabilities. Companies were not willing to implement complicated solutions and many people have not been encuraged to apply for other jobs apart from standards such as telefonist or physio therapist etc. Now NVDA gives lots of people the chance to improve professionally and to get high quality access to information for no money. Now children can read almost every book they want on several platforms with NVDA or Voice Over. So it will not be the economical aspect which will drive such products like Jaws to death. It will be the social effects.

And if you look at countries which were underdeveloped like 30 years ago (i.e. China), those countries could develop amongst others because people had access to education and information for low prices. This was somehow driven by several development institutions which invested in such countries huge amounts to improve the society. I know it is not the best comparison, but now several really good and motivated people invest their talent, and some of them their money as well, in improving NVDA.

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 3:00 PM

[...]

I specifically said powerful screen-reader.  the Serotek (spelling) screen-reader is not a powerful screen-reader and, though it does what it does well, it isn't intended for advanced or tailored uses.

the Apple screen-reader demonstrates my point concerning mass production.  It is intended for a very small base of users but every person or institution who buys an Apple device helps pay for it.  It is, therefore, able to be provided at a very cheap price because the entire Apple customer base pays for it.

Havbe you studied economics?  I'm asking because I suspect that many of the arguments you see constantly repeated concerning JAWS as a predator and their alleged gouging are repeated by people who haven't studied it.  I'm not assuming anything in your case.  But I'm going to start asking people when such subjects come up to see if my hypothesis is correct.  Also, I don't just mean formally studied economics.  What I know about economics comes from discussing the subject with knowledgeable people and reading books that discuss economics for the layman.

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 3:00 PM