NVDA Country Subgroups

adriani.botez@...

Dear all,

What do you think about the idea of creating subgroups of this NVDA group for each country which has many active users? As of now there are lots of mail lists and platforms worldwide where NVDA users and developers discuss. At a point when there will be an NVDA Add-on store for everyone, does it not make sense to try to bring users and developers worldwide more next to each other? Even though those subgroups would not solve the language problem, they would somehow make people more aware about the international importance of NVDA. I came to this idea because we have a network in germany but not everyone speaks englisch to be able to read anything in the main group. But I am sure that here are also people who speak other languages and would like to talk to NVDA users from those countries.
And in fact, you would have a big platform for discussion instead of hundreeds of mail lists and such.

Best
Adriani

Vlad Dragomir

Hello,

This would be an excellent idea. I would love to have a more international experience, although technically I don't know how this would be possible. Anyway if anyone has more information or details, I am more than open to the idea of attending different groups, or even better, opening this one to more people, even thouse whose English is hesitant.

Best regards,

Vlad.

Sarah k Alawami

That could work, however I believe you must be subscribed to the parent group in order to subscribe to the sub group, this is how I understand it. My skype list does not have any sub groups as right now we don't need them.

Take care all

On Oct 1, 2017, at 12:26 PM, Vlad Dragomir <vladdragomir1983@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

This would be an excellent idea. I would love to have a more international experience, although technically I don't know how this would be possible. Anyway if anyone has more information or details, I am more than open to the idea of attending different groups, or even better, opening this one to more people, even thouse whose English is hesitant.

Best regards,

Vlad.

Hi,

I tend to oppose this idea for three reasons:

1. Responsibility and accountability: who is going to be responsible for locale-specific subgroups, especially in the event of sudden death or departure?
  2. Sheer number of members: I think this list has more than 500 members (if I heard right). Although creating language-based subgroups would certainly increase our membership, I’m worried a bit about server performance.
  3. Free will of the community: it is really up to members of language communities to decide if their forum should be a part of this group as a subgroup, a different forum on Groups.IO, or use a different service altogether. Korean community (which I am the admin), for instance, uses Facebook as a main communication channel, and I know one or two language communities that uses other services.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of adriani.botez via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, October 1, 2017 12:19 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA Country Subgroups

Dear all,

What do you think about the idea of creating subgroups of this NVDA group for each country which has many active users? As of now there are lots of mail lists and platforms worldwide where NVDA users and developers discuss. At a point when there will be an NVDA Add-on store for everyone, does it not make sense to try to bring users and developers worldwide more next to each other? Even though those subgroups would not solve the language problem, they would somehow make people more aware about the international importance of NVDA. I came to this idea because we have a network in germany but not everyone speaks englisch to be able to read anything in the main group. But I am sure that here are also people who speak other languages and would like to talk to NVDA users from those countries.
And in fact, you would have a big platform for discussion instead of hundreeds of mail lists and such.

Best
Adriani

Engin Albayrak <mealbayrak@...>

There is a yahoo group for Turkey:
nvda_tr@yahoogroups.com

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sarah k
Alawami
Sent: Sunday, October 1, 2017 10:56 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Country Subgroups

That could work, however I believe you must be subscribed to the parent
group in order to subscribe to the sub group, this is how I understand it.
My skype list does not have any sub groups as right now we don't need them.

Take care all

On Oct 1, 2017, at 12:26 PM, Vlad Dragomir <vladdragomir1983@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hello,

This would be an excellent idea. I would love to have a more international
experience, although technically I don't know how this would be possible.
Anyway if anyone has more information or details, I am more than open to the
idea of attending different groups, or even better, opening this one to more
people, even thouse whose English is hesitant.

Best regards,

Vlad.

Rui Fontes

The portuguese spoken community already have a mailing list.

nvdaemportugues@googlegroups.com

Rui Fontes

-----Mensagem Original-----
De: Joseph Lee
Data: 1 de outubro de 2017 21:17
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: Re: [nvda] NVDA Country Subgroups

Hi,

I tend to oppose this idea for three reasons:

Responsibility and accountability: who is going to be responsible for locale-specific subgroups, especially in the event of sudden death or departure?
Sheer number of members: I think this list has more than 500 members (if I heard right). Although creating language-based subgroups would certainly increase our membership, I’m worried a bit about server performance.
Free will of the community: it is really up to members of language communities to decide if their forum should be a part of this group as a subgroup, a different forum on Groups.IO, or use a different service altogether. Korean community (which I am the admin), for instance, uses Facebook as a main communication channel, and I know one or two language communities that uses other services.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of adriani.botez via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, October 1, 2017 12:19 PM

Dear all,

Best
Adriani

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

is this not this type of page for other countries for people to join?

the link is https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/Connect

Gene nz

On 10/2/2017 8:18 AM, adriani.botez via Groups.Io wrote:
Dear all,

Best
Adriani

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Good idea on the surface but throws up a lot of what ifs, as you can see from this thread already.
Nothing to stop anyone setting up a group, but if anyone wanted to monitor all for common issues you would need a linguist programmer who might be better employed elsewhere!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "adriani.botez via Groups.Io" <adriani.botez=googlemail.com@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2017 8:18 PM

Dear all,

Best
Adriani

Mr. Gaff has brought up something that immediately came to my mind, but from the point of view as a moderator.   It is not really possible to moderate a group (and I include subgroups as part of a parent group) where there are languages being used that one does not speak.

I think the idea of NVDA groups for specific language communities being created is a very good one.  But they need to be their own groups, with their own moderators form whom the language used for discussion is most likely their first language or a very, very strong second.

Online communities are no different than ones in the real world in that speaking a common language is pretty much essential to their effective operation.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

Yes the next thing you will need is anissues tracker in all the languages. Quite how this could be managed I have no idea. being a monoglot, if there is such a word!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 1:43 PM

Mr. Gaff has brought up something that immediately came to my mind, but from the point of view as a moderator. It is not really possible to moderate a group (and I include subgroups as part of a parent group) where there are languages being used that one does not speak.

I think the idea of NVDA groups for specific language communities being created is a very good one. But they need to be their own groups, with their own moderators form whom the language used for discussion is most likely their first language or a very, very strong second.

Online communities are no different than ones in the real world in that speaking a common language is pretty much essential to their effective operation.
--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063 (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

* * *The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.* * But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another* * profound truth.*

* ~ * *Niels Bohr*

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 08:24 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Yes the next thing you will need is an issues tracker in all the languages.
Most likely not, in reality.   As a general rule trouble tickets/issues must be submitted using the system for doing so dictated by the developers and using the native language (or agreed shared language) of the developers (and very often that's English).

There are limits to how much anyone who's developing software can be expected to do with regard to dealing with issues.   I don't know of a single project (though there have to be some) where multi-lingual issue tracking is done.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

Yes quite so, probably specific Arabic word processors perhaps?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 4:55 PM

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 08:24 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote:

Yes the next thing you will need is an issues tracker in all the
languages.
Most likely not, in reality. As a general rule trouble tickets/issues must be submitted using the system for doing so dictated by the developers and using the native language (or agreed shared language) of the developers (and very often that's English).

There are limits to how much anyone who's developing software can be expected to do with regard to dealing with issues. I don't know of a single project (though there have to be some) where multi-lingual issue tracking is done.
--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063 (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

* * *The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.* * But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another* * profound truth.*

* ~ * *Niels Bohr*

Bernd Dorer

Hi Adriani,

there is allready a German nvda mailinglist on ml4free.de

hth Bernd
Am 01.10.2017 um 21:18 schrieb adriani.botez via Groups.Io:

Dear all,

Best
Adriani

Hello Adriani, Vlad and others.
The Romanian community has already a mailing list. This is NVDA-Romanian-comunity@.... We also have a facebook group and a website, www.ro-nvda.tk.
Question for Vlad Dragomir, it's just a curiosity. Are you Romanian? Your name sounds like a Romanian one.
Cheers,
Florian

Vlad Dragomir

Hi Florian,

Thank you for the message. I'm both french and romanian, I do have two passports. *smile*

More accurately, I should say I'm european, but I do speak the language if that's what you wanted to know. However, I lost contact with those I used to know in Bucharest, where I was born. Only keep in touch with family nowadays.

Best regards from Lyon,

Vlad.

I think what would be nice is for anyone who is multilingual on such lists when they come across a bug they do an issue in English or at least ask on an English list if its just a bug in their language.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 7:25 PM

Hi Adriani,

there is allready a German nvda mailinglist on ml4free.de

hth Bernd
Am 01.10.2017 um 21:18 schrieb adriani.botez via Groups.Io:
Dear all,

What do you think about the idea of creating subgroups of this NVDA
group for each country which has many active users? As of now there
are lots of mail lists and platforms worldwide where NVDA users and
developers discuss. At a point when there will be an NVDA Add-on store
for everyone, does it not make sense to try to bring users and
developers worldwide more next to each other? Even though those
subgroups would not solve the language problem, they would somehow
make people more aware about the international importance of NVDA. I
came to this idea because we have a network in germany but not
everyone speaks englisch to be able to read anything in the main
group. But I am sure that here are also people who speak other
languages and would like to talk to NVDA users from those countries.
And in fact, you would have a big platform for discussion instead of
hundreeds of mail lists and such.

Best
Adriani

Lino Morales

Well unlike Joseph I'm not opposed to this. It would eliminate the language burier on this list. Be open mind Joseph.

On 10/1/2017 9:52 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi

Gene nz

Dear all,

Best
Adriani

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Hi,

In theory, it could, provided that we agree on a common language (or as some would say, “linguo-franca). But I strongly believe that the free will of the community is also important, hence my argument that each community should have a final say.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lino Morales
Sent: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:36 PM

Well unlike Joseph I'm not opposed to this. It would eliminate the language burier on this list. Be open mind Joseph.

On 10/1/2017 9:52 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi

Gene nz

Dear all,

Best
Adriani

--

Adriani Botez

Hello Vlad and Florian,

I am also Romanian but live in Germany since 11 years. I come from Suceava.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 03.10.2017 um 21:53 schrieb Vlad Dragomir <vladdragomir1983@gmail.com>:

Hi Florian,

Thank you for the message. I'm both french and romanian, I do have two passports. *smile*

More accurately, I should say I'm european, but I do speak the language if that's what you wanted to know. However, I lost contact with those I used to know in Bucharest, where I was born. Only keep in touch with family nowadays.

Best regards from Lyon,

Vlad.

Hello Vlad and Adriani.
I'm also Romanian, I live in Buzău.