Topics

HTML email [was: Re: [nvda] Download of the Weather Plus add-on]

Antony Stone

Please could you avoid posting HTML-only emails to the list?

Post either plain-text or plain-text plus HTML, but please not just the HTML.

It makes things very difficult to read for those of us who prefer text-only
email.

Thanks,

Antony.

On Monday 02 October 2017 at 14:36:21, Kostadin Kolev wrote:

<head>
</head>
I can't force him to use a specific browser, even if I know that
browser may be the best one. 😀 I told him to change the extension
and that worked. But do I have to tell that to everyone that
downloads that add-on with the "wrong" browser? And that is not
the point. As I said - why it does not happen to other add-ons on
the same website? The problem is with this specific add-on and
that is the main reason why I've reported it and I mentioned the
specific add-on with which it occurs. Otherwise I would have
reported this as affecting the whole NVDA add-ons website.<br>
Best wishes,<br>
Kostadin Kolev</p>
--
If you were ploughing a field, which would you rather use - two strong oxen or
1024 chickens?

- Seymour Cray, pioneer of supercomputing

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Gene

Which e-mail program are you using?  I am reading mail as plain text and I have no such problems.  You may have problems elsewhere and it might be useful to discuss the matter.

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 7:42 AM
Subject: HTML email [was: Re: [nvda] Download of the Weather Plus add-on]

--
If you were ploughing a field, which would you rather use - two strong oxen or
1024 chickens?

 - Seymour Cray, pioneer of supercomputing

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Chris

I get the same

I don’t know what has happened in that particular message but its showing the html code along with the message in plain text, so is difficult to read with a scfeen reader

I don’t see this happening very often but I’m pretty sure it wont be the mail app I’m using

But rather how the  message was created by the sender

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 7:42 AM

--
If you were ploughing a field, which would you rather use - two strong oxen or
1024 chickens?

 - Seymour Cray, pioneer of supercomputing

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Gene

It may be that a text message should be sent.  It might be useful to know what e-mail application is being used by the original sender.

I've seen very little about this but I think I read somewhere that sending HTML only messages is mor common than it used to be.  I'm curious to know what e-mail programs have problems rendering such messages when reading mail as plain text?  What program are you using?

--
If you were ploughing a field, which would you rather use - two strong oxen or
1024 chickens?

 - Seymour Cray, pioneer of supercomputing

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Hello Gene,

My was the problematic message. I use Mozilla Thunderbird version 52.3.0. I've started sending messages only in HTML a long time ago, but only now someone complains that they are hard to read when viewing them as plain text due to the HTML code showing in the plain text. The HTML code shouldn't show in a message when viewing it as plain text, but in this case apparently it does. One of the persons having problems with my message is using KMail under Linux and the other is probably viewing it via the groups.io interface via a web browser, though I don't know if this matters or not. The unusual thing in my problematic message were a few (two, to be exact) emojies that I've inserted via the "Emoticons" add-on for NVDA. Maybe that caused the issue - I don't know. If it is that, in the future I'll try to avoid inserting emojies in my messages (at least for this list).

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 2.10.2017 г. в 18:23, Gene написа:

--
If you were ploughing a field, which would you rather use - two strong oxen or
1024 chickens?

 - Seymour Cray, pioneer of supercomputing

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Chris

I’m using the win10 mail app

And usually it renders html ok with no issue

So why it didn’t with that particular message is a mystery

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 7:42 AM

--
If you were ploughing a field, which would you rather use - two strong oxen or
1024 chickens?

 - Seymour Cray, pioneer of supercomputing

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Chris

I see that as plain text, but not your other message

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 7:42 AM

Please could you avoid posting HTML-only emails to the list?

Post either plain-text or plain-text plus HTML, but please not just the HTML.

It makes things very difficult to read for those of us who prefer text-only
email.

Thanks,

Antony.

On Monday 02 October 2017 at 14:36:21, Kostadin Kolev wrote:

>   <head>
>   </head>
😀 I don't know which browser he used.

--

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 08:23 am, Gene wrote:
I've seen very little about this but I think I read somewhere that sending HTML only messages is mor common than it used to be.
Much more common than it once was, and mostly because plain-text e-mail (and other cyber-written media like text messages) is dead, for all practical intents and purposes, except in some very small niches.

Any contemporary and updated e-mail client should be able to gracefully render an HTML formatted e-mail message in plain text if the user employs a force to plain text option.  If it's not then something's either wrong with that client software or the structure of the HTML formatted message itself, which can occasionally happen.

            Niels Bohr

To be honest,

Its probably an old email program, depending on the rendering engine it can be a problem.

Especially if on a slow connection.Sadly it can be the mail in question outlook 16 has a lot of issues at times depending what it is and so can thunderbird though it is a lot better.

I usually try to render in text when I can but I can read as text html fine and its usually good.

On 3/10/2017 4:35 a.m., Kostadin Kolev wrote:
[...]

I'd be very interested to know where you have these numbers from. I wonder
what sort of sample size, and what types of email, were analysed to find out
the proportions of text-only, HTML-only, and mixed.

Please point me at whatever studies you've seen showing these results.

Thanks,

Antony.

On Monday 02 October 2017 at 18:00:18, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 08:23 am, Gene wrote:
I've seen very little about this but I think I read somewhere that
sending HTML only messages is mor common than it used to be.
*Much* more common than it once was, and mostly because plain-text e-mail
(and other cyber-written media like text messages) is dead, for all
practical intents and purposes, except in some very small niches.
--
It may not seem obvious, but (6 x 5 + 5) x 5 - 55 equals 5!

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Antony,

          If you want formal studies then it's up to you to find them.

          I've been working with computers and e-mail since the early 1980s and can see.  It is a fairly simple matter to recognize that most e-mail is now formatted in a way not supported by plain text.  The vast majority of it, in fact.

          My anecdotal observations are plenty strong enough for me to make the statement I've made and to be willing to bet large sums of money on same.  The visuals are enough to tell me that most people are using HTML formatted e-mail.  The fact that it's the default on every e-mail client I've touched for decades now is also a very clear indicator of its ubiquity.

            Niels Bohr

Antony Stone

Ah, I had the impression from the way you phrased things that your comment was
based on some surveys done by mail hosters or spam filter providers etc.

I would certainly agree with you that a great deal of email sent these days
contains an HTML part, but my impression is that most of that contains a
plain-text part as well. I think the incidence of HTML-only email is very low
(mainly for security reasons). Your own emails, for example, contain both.

A quick search of my local archive of this mailing list (1 year, 17707 emails)
shows that 17612 (99.5%) have a plain text part, and 8835 (50%) have an HTML
part, so it looks like we have a pretty equal mix here of plain-text only, and
both plain-text plus HTML. I see only 93 (0.5%) which are HTML-only.

If I find any published studies which are backed by statistics I'll let you
know.

Thanks,

Antony.

On Tuesday 03 October 2017 at 16:51:51, Brian Vogel wrote:

Antony,

If you want formal studies then it's up to you to find them.

I've been working with computers and e-mail since the early 1980s
and can see. It is a fairly simple matter to recognize that most e-mail
is now formatted in a way not supported by plain text. The vast majority
of it, in fact.

My anecdotal observations are plenty strong enough for me to make
the statement I've made and to be willing to bet large sums of money on
same. The visuals are enough to tell me that most people are using HTML
formatted e-mail. The fact that it's the default on every e-mail client
I've touched for decades now is also a very clear indicator of its
ubiquity.

"Remember: the S in IoT stands for Security."

- Jan-Piet Mens

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Antony,

        Just FYI, my "e-mails" are not, in actuality e-mails.   I participate in Groups.io exclusively using their web interface (except if doing testing for some feature where using e-mail to do so is essential).  What you see from me on this list is generated by the web interface of Groups.io.

        I have little doubt that a great deal of e-mail is still generated with a "hidden" plain text part, but I expect that proportion to drop, slowly but surely, over the next couple of decades.

        My point was that, at least as far as what lands in a user's inbox, they can count on the vast majority of it having been composed using HTML formatting and, very often, having the potential to lose a lot of embedded content (or make it miserable to deal with) if they force it to plain text.  It is my teaching philosophy that I try to get my students to configure themselves to deal with what they are most likely to encounter in its native form whenever possible.  Given what I see in e-mail messages I do not teach how to force to plain text as there is too much potential for intended content to be lost or much more miserable to access.

            Niels Bohr

Gene

I think it depends on the e-mail program being used to a certain extent.  One reason I use Windows Live Mail is because I can read mail in plain text and, when I find a rare message, most personal and list e-mail can be read well as plain text, but when I find something I want to read as html, I open the message, and  I use the command alt shift h and that message is read as html while opened.  I get the safety of reading mail in general as plain text, which is a little safer than reading everything as html, and I suspect the messages may open slightly faster as well, but I haven't tested to see if it matters, and, at the same time, the convenience of being able, with one command, to read any message I wish as html.  I get a newsletter or two that I read as html.  almost everything else is list mail and personal mail, which reads well as plain text.