Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 4:26 PM
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10 is Very, Very Broken

Hello List,

So, my Windows 10 is really pitching a fit! This all started when I had to forse shut down my win10 machine using the power butten, because of a total system hang. Then, I turned the machine back on. But NVDA did not come back to life. I tried turning on Narrator, and it wouldn't talk.
So I asked my dad to come and look at my screen. According to him, even when I pressed keys on the keyboard, the log in box wouldn't appear.
I've tried ctrl alt del, I’ve tried rebooting, nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I have a radio show in two days, and I have  no backup machine.

Cheers,

Noah Carver

Sarah k Alawami

You might have to reformat. Are you backed up?

Take care.

On Oct 4, 2017, at 2:26 PM, Noah Carver via Groups.Io <ntclists=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello List,

So, my Windows 10 is really pitching a fit! This all started when I had to forse shut down my win10 machine using the power butten, because of a total system hang. Then, I turned the machine back on. But NVDA did not come back to life. I tried turning on Narrator, and it wouldn't talk.
So I asked my dad to come and look at my screen. According to him, even when I pressed keys on the keyboard, the log in box wouldn't appear.
I've tried ctrl alt del, I’ve tried rebooting, nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a radio show in two days, and I have no backup machine.

Cheers,

Noah Carver

Arlene

Oh no! You may have to take it to a computer shop. Maybe you may have to have a format. Do you have all your files backed up? In case this has to happen?

[...]

I have had this when my aunt left the system on in a bag for ages with the system on well just on.

I turned it off and on a couple times.

But chances are if something hung just before that its hardware component failier.

On 5/10/2017 10:26 a.m., Noah Carver via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello List,

So, my Windows 10 is really pitching a fit! This all started when I had to forse shut down my win10 machine using the power butten, because of a total system hang. Then, I turned the machine back on. But NVDA did not come back to life. I tried turning on Narrator, and it wouldn't talk.
So I asked my dad to come and look at my screen. According to him, even when I pressed keys on the keyboard, the log in box wouldn't appear.
I've tried ctrl alt del, I’ve tried rebooting, nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a radio show in two days, and I have no backup machine.

Cheers,

Noah Carver

.

Well I have had this issue on some systems and a good reformat always gets windows working but further tests do show something.

Possible culprets are power supply units, I have had a few of those fail on me.

Processer fans or power box fans a lot of those have failed on me.

Drives  and or boards.

On 5/10/2017 10:32 a.m., Gene wrote:
It sounds as though the problem is a hardware problem and not a Windows problem unless the hardware problem damaged Windows.

So, my Windows 10 is really pitching a fit! This all started when I had to forse shut down my win10 machine using the power butten, because of a total system hang. Then, I turned the machine back on. But NVDA did not come back to life. I tried turning on Narrator, and it wouldn't talk.
So I asked my dad to come and look at my screen. According to him, even when I pressed keys on the keyboard, the log in box wouldn't appear.
I've tried ctrl alt del, I’ve tried rebooting, nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I have a radio show in two days, and I have no backup machine.

Cheers,

Noah Carver

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Hi, Get a sighted helper then Restart your machine then press F8over and over until you get the windows menu that has startup repair as a option select it then hit enter. It will restart after awhile. I dont remember the specifics. But it is pretty straight forward. If that doesn't work then you will have too use your windows install media and boot into the windows setup and try the troubleshooting section. If you have a backup you can load it or try some of the repair options. Narrator works in this enviroment. so

--
Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.

Gene

We don't know if the problem is a Windows 10 problem at all.  We haven't been told what happens when the computer turns on.  Is there any message on the screen?  I wouldn't do any of the things you suggest without knowing more what happens when the machine is turned on.  A complete hang such as was described and a failure to boot when the machine is restarted may indicate a hardware failure.  Not only might these suggestions not work, but since certain kinds of hardware failures may corrupt Windows, by doing these sorts of things without any knowledge of what the machine does when it turns on may corrupt Windows if it isn't now or make the corruption worse.

When the machine is turned on, what happens?  Is there a mnessage on screen?  Is there a message and then as time passes, one or more messages?  Is there no message on screen?

A sighted person needs to be there from the moment the computer turns on and tell you what happens.  As of now, though I don't have enough information to say anything definite, it looks to me as though it may be a serious hardware failure that will need a tech to correct.

Gene

--
Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

I have been building and maintaining PC's since 1995. The likelihood this is a serious hardware issue is low. The situation as describe indicates corrupted windows files and running any of the startup repair options  are appropriate.
Even though you will need some sighted help for the F8 menu Running for sighted help at the first sign of trouble is not necessary... I have never hurt a PC doing my own diagnostics...
Dont be afraid to trouble shoot your own PC. You can do it! :)

--
Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.

--
Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Two thoughts, get your father to attempt to get to the menu to select the start up mode. differs on different machines, but a function key during switch on. Normally windows will present you with a last known good and then take it back. Otherwise your sighted help needs to either restore a recent back up or if system restore is turned on, go back to prior to the problems. it sounds like a typical corrupted registry to me, and it can be almost impossible talk of a. Do you have a recovery disk made recently on a cd/dvd or stick?
This is the first thing I make after any bit update to windows. it will need sighted help, but boot that in which in some cases means tweaking the bios for boot up order and use that tool to find a good places to go back to.

There are no guarantees as some here will tell you, and reinstalling windows and everything else can be the only fix, but if you are careful and only do one thing at a time, ie don't burn your bridges by going for the draconian fix first, then in the main it seems to be a situation Windows can get back from.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

So, my Windows 10 is really pitching a fit! This all started when I had to forse shut down my win10 machine using the power butten, because of a total system hang. Then, I turned the machine back on. But NVDA did not come back to life. I tried turning on Narrator, and it wouldn't talk.
So I asked my dad to come and look at my screen. According to him, even when I pressed keys on the keyboard, the log in box wouldn't appear.
I've tried ctrl alt del, I’ve tried rebooting, nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a radio show in two days, and I have no backup machine.

Cheers,

Noah Carver

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well he won't know till he takes some steps to resolve the possible registry corruption. Always check power cables to drives and indeed data cables too, but after that if the damage was done it can only be either by a bit of registry manipulation and some program reinstalls after a disc problem check or by a complete reinstall, a last resort unless you have infinite patience and a lot of spare time.
[...]

Last resort, but if his drive is very corrupted, due say to a power cable intermittent fault then yes, that is the only option other than a restore from an external backup.
[...]

If anyone goes to a shop they never ever, in my experience try to fix it. If it can be fixed its going to be faster and less hassle for all the bespoke set ups we need to try to do that. Believe me Computer shops ten to just put in a clean windows and save any data they can from the old one first.
Its faster often and less costly but not always what we want.
[...]

As I say, don't burn your bridges. if its connections they can be fixed, if the data is corrupted and not just the registry then you probably are in major doggy do dos.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

So, my Windows 10 is really pitching a fit! This all started when I had to forse shut down my win10 machine using the power butten, because of a total system hang. Then, I turned the machine back on. But NVDA did not come back to life. I tried turning on Narrator, and it wouldn't talk.
So I asked my dad to come and look at my screen. According to him, even when I pressed keys on the keyboard, the log in box wouldn't appear.
I've tried ctrl alt del, I’ve tried rebooting, nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I have a radio show in two days, and I have no backup machine.

Cheers,

Noah Carver

Mallard

Hello Noah,

I wenth through a very similar ordeal during the summer.

Sighted people could use the pc, but I couldn't. My husband tried fixing Windows in all possible ways, with all possible tools. Nothing doing. We couldn't even restore the pc.

We were two seconds away from formatting, when all of a sudden he mentioned a couple of programmes that I said I didn't want to be reinstalled. He removed one, and nothing happened. But when he removed the other one (a Bible app I needed for a translation I was doing for our church group), all got back to normal.

Make sure you haven't installed any software recently, which might have interfered with NVDA, before you do anything dramatic like reformatting.

This is probably not your case, but better be safe than sorry, so I shared it. It might help someone.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 04/10/2017 23:26, Noah Carver via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Hello List,

So, my Windows 10 is really pitching a fit! This all started when I had to forse shut down my win10 machine using the power butten, because of a total system hang. Then, I turned the machine back on. But NVDA did not come back to life. I tried turning on Narrator, and it wouldn't talk.
So I asked my dad to come and look at my screen. According to him, even when I pressed keys on the keyboard, the log in box wouldn't appear.
I've tried ctrl alt del, I’ve tried rebooting, nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a radio show in two days, and I have no backup machine.

Cheers,

Noah Carver

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The opposite can also be true, Most software messes with the registry, it can cock it up on install, or on uninstall if it does not remember to reregister any dll files it has changed or altered the classification of in either case. Been there, done that got the T Shirt during xp days.
Its normally the dll files associated with the vearious access APIs that get clobbered as the original developer probably never tested if screenreaders wworked before passing the code for distribution. Brian

[...]

Yes its actually good to know what is broken.

I have used a good computer store and they will fix things for you if it breaks.

But I have had some shocking places to fix, me the system is broken, and I think I know what it is.

Shop, the system failier does not exist, lets reformat, oh and you need to pay for your data but well you didn't so we got rid of all your files to.

And we can't be bothered, its always windows you are dreaming about your hardware issues.

On the other hand I have had places which after testing a broken something realised the video card we had was broken, did a reformat sadly but replaced the card with no charge to us with something that worked better.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Arlene" <nedster66@gmail.com>
[...]

Consider what happened.  With no previous report of problems, the system completely hung.  It didn't reboot.  We don't know what, if any errors were on screen.  All this is pure speculation as to causes, corrupted files, the registry, whatever people want to speculate about.  Why would a properly functioning system suddently completely hang and then not reboot?  Until we find out what, if any error messages are on screen and if Windows even tries to boot, this is all speculation. I suspect a hardware problem.  Others suspect other causes.  I consider it premature to advise any course of action without more information.

Gene
-----

Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2017 11:36 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
I wenth through a very similar ordeal during the summer.

Sighted people could use the pc, but I couldn't. My husband tried fixing
Windows in all possible ways, with all possible tools. Nothing doing. We
couldn't even restore the pc.

We were two seconds away from formatting, when all of a sudden he
mentioned a couple of programmes that I said I didn't want to be
reinstalled. He removed one, and nothing happened. But when he removed
the other one (a Bible app I needed for a translation I was doing for
our church group), all got back to normal.

Make sure you haven't installed any software recently, which might have
interfered with NVDA, before you do anything dramatic like reformatting.

This is probably not your case, but better be safe than sorry, so I
shared it. It might help someone.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 04/10/2017 23:26, Noah Carver via Groups.Io ha scritto:
> Hello List,
>
> So, my Windows 10 is really pitching a fit! This all started when I had to
> forse shut down my win10 machine using the power butten, because of a
> total system hang. Then, I turned the machine back on. But NVDA did not
> come back to life. I tried turning on Narrator, and it wouldn't talk.
> So I asked my dad to come and look at my screen. According to him, even
> when I pressed keys on the keyboard, the log in box wouldn't appear.
> I've tried ctrl alt del, I’ve tried rebooting, nothing works. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated. I have a radio show in two days, and I have
> no backup machine.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Noah Carver

Well a system hang could be many things.

The fact that it just did without warning suggests hardware.

But if a small fan failed you wouldn't know.

If a drive failed you may or may not hear it.

Chances are though that all you need do is hit enter to get things back.

One thing that the user should try.

if you use delete or whatever key that goes to the cmos does it do it.

If it does, if you use a live cd with linux or something does it load.

If the latter then I'll accept the windows issue.

Does the pc even turn on.

I had a server box I was working with, that had been hanging for ages, I turned it on to transfer all data to new hardware and it didn't power, I tried again, and it still didn't power.

Later on the shop confirmed the raid boards and more importantly the boards that were the keys to all the data on the drives were on fire.

We had to pay recovery to get the data.

However to be honest there is a good chance your data is still in tact.

Since windows manages drivers if it hangs you see something and it would restart.

I had a display card do this, run the system suddenly it hangs.

I did a restart, windows detected the display had hung the system, the error was intercepted by the driver software and sent to the right places, I was ordered to update the driver in fact was told how or rathr that there was a firmware bug and asked to patch it.

Chances are most stuff like that well who knows.

A sudden hang without any warning suggests that you have one of the following 3 failiers.

1.  psu or main power pack that can  happen.

Less commen is a bad cord though you would notice internal cords failing or something before that.

The processer failed.

That would actually smell if it did, the main fan needs to jam on a pc and you would hear that happening before it did.

The performance would go nuts same with a pc being full of dust.

I had a pc fail on me for that reason it had been racing with fans up to the max all day long and I had wandered about it I did clear it out but not before some stuff died in it and I had to replace it.

If a small fan failed well yeah I admit if that or your sync failed you wouldn't know about that till you actually noticed dammage.

A video card or other card failed, yeah they actually do fail.

You have bad ram, could happen like that ram does fail.

Your board could fail, this is less likely.

Your firmware has an issue.

This is not a problem if you can get it updated or reflashed and stuff.

Its unlikely you could have a virus or malware or any major software issue unless something is covered up that is.

Software could generated a critical stop so could drivers do of 0x000 which basically means something it did went beyond the capabilities of the processer like an overflow or something dumb, but there are so many checks thats almost nonexistant now.

If you didn't see smoke that doesn't mean the supply didn't just die.

I once had the main system fail, and hang then die, the only thing I heard was a small pop like when I get a fax.

If I was not in the same room as it I wouldn't have noticed.

On 6/10/2017 7:04 a.m., Gene wrote:
[...]

OK, so here’s some more in-depth explanation. When does does boot. Boots all the way up until the lock screen. The lock screen appears, showing a lovely photo that Microsoft auto generate. But then I press control to bring up the password entry field, nothing happens. It’s basically locked on the lock screen. That’s my problem. I don’t believe that this is a hardware issue, as windows boot fine. I’m more inclined to believe it has something to do with windows it’s self.