Issues with Windows 10 upgrades

Mallard <mallard@...>

Hello all,

My machine (a desktop from HP, which was bought refurbished, and has 12GB of ram at the moment) doesn't seem to want to upgrade to Creator.
It has been attempiting to do the updates, but every time it says there's an error, and can't complete the procedure.

It gives me the following error:

Error: 0x8007001f

I searched for the code on teh web, and so did my husband, but we didn't come up with anything viable.

Has anyone, by any chance, experienced somehting like this, and how did you solve it, if you did at all?

Thanks, ciao,
Ollie

This is one of those "garbage" error codes that seems to have myriad possible causes.

Were I you, I would use the Windows 10 ISO file to upgrade your machine.  See:  Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file

Since Version 1709 is literally just around the corner I'd wait a couple of days until you hear it's been officially released and then obtain the ISO for Version 1709.

            Niels Bohr

Mallard <mallard@...>

Thanks Brian.

Good suggestion.

My husband tried to upgrade with a Windows cd, but it didn't work either. I could go neither forward, nor backward. No restore, no upgrade, no nothing...

Incredible how one can get stuck on this OS without a way out...

I'll wait till 1709 is out, and then give it a try.
Ciao,
Ollie

*/ <https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-creators-update/617a37da-8fc0-4f33-a3eb-59fe9082f925>Since Version 1709 is literally just around the corner I'd wait a couple of days until you hear it's been officially released and then obtain the ISO for Version 1709.

--
/Brian/- Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

*//**/The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement./**/But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another/**/ profound truth./*

*/~ /**/Niels Bohr/*

If that does not work, as far as doing the upgrade, then the only other suggestion I have is doing a clean install using the bootable media you'll create from the ISO.

Of course, that means:

  1. Take a full system image backup of your existing Windows 10 system with the tool of your choice.  Though, since the actual Windows system image backup utility disappears with Version 1709 I would choose a third party tool such as AOMEI Backupper, EaseUS ToDo Backup Free, Paragon Backup & Recover, or Macrium Reflect.
  2. Take a separate backup of just your user data files, as you'll need these to copy back over to the newly installed Windows 10.  I believe EaseUS and Paragon both have features that allow you to take just user data backups and restore them with ease.  I use Macrium, and it doesn't.
  3. Download and install Belarc Advisor, run it, and keep a copy of the resulting report for reference after the new Windows 10 is installed.  The reason I do this is that I almost invariably forget exactly what software I have installed on my computer over time.  The "Software Licenses" and "Software Versions & Usage" sections of the report tell you precisely what programs you've installed and gets their license keys as well.  It's also a good way to take stock of what you really need to reinstall and what you can toss because you're just not using it.  I always focus on the "Software Licenses" section because the "Software Versions & Usage" section includes all of the "bloatware" that came with your system, utility programs for stuff like your printer/multi-function, etc., and can be overwhelming.  It's still something you need to be aware of since the information there can sometimes be useful.
  4. Use the bootable media to do a completely clean install of Windows 10, then do what needs doing to get your user data and the programs you need back on that clean slate.
  5. As soon as number four is completed take another full system image backup so that you have a baseline of your clean system to recover from should you need to.  When any of the updates apply to the system that change the build number that's a good time to take your next full system image.  That or if you spend an afternoon installing a bunch of new software and you'd tear your hair out if you had to sit down and do it all again if you had a system failure and only had an image made that predated doing all that work.

            Niels Bohr

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Does device manager complain about any hardware issues or misconfigured bits of hardware? I have seen this error associated with codecs and hardware drivers, particularly in video and audio hardware, but I strongly suspect the error is more like.
Help something is stopping me from doing what I'm trying to do and so I'll give up!

Might be worth running something like ccleaner over it but I'm not confident its going to be that simple. What does a look at the updates record look like, do you see a litany of failed updates?
If so then, there is probably some kind of registry corruption.
Most of the times many see this error is when they have not used K-Lite pack or other codecs and attempt to play certain video files on the machine. From what you describe though I think its more subtle.
Not having a working windows 10 machine at present I'm not sure what else to suggest. Does this affect the working of the current system or just when you want to update the machine?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

My machine (a desktop from HP, which was bought refurbished, and has 12GB of ram at the moment) doesn't seem to want to upgrade to Creator.
It has been attempiting to do the updates, but every time it says there's an error, and can't complete the procedure.

It gives me the following error:

Error: 0x8007001f

I searched for the code on teh web, and so did my husband, but we didn't come up with anything viable.

Has anyone, by any chance, experienced somehting like this, and how did you solve it, if you did at all?

Thanks, ciao,
Ollie

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

I have and it is a serious pain. Try the windows update troubleshooting tool. Just google it and then install it from MS.
If that dowsnt fix it there are some more advanced workarounds but Sometimes it is easier to just reinstall windows with the latest version.

On 10/5/2017 6:23 AM, Mallard wrote:
Hello all,

My machine (a desktop from HP, which was bought refurbished, and has 12GB of ram at the moment) doesn't seem to want to upgrade to Creator.
It has been attempiting to do the updates, but every time it says there's an error, and can't complete the procedure.

It gives me the following error:

Error: 0x8007001f

I searched for the code on teh web, and so did my husband, but we didn't come up with anything viable.

Has anyone, by any chance, experienced somehting like this, and how did you solve it, if you did at all?

Thanks, ciao,
Ollie

--
Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.

Mallard <mallard@...>

Well, I think we tried all possible troubleshooting tools and fixes available. Every time we were back to square one. A sort of "catch 22" situation. We were advised to restoer, but restore wouldn't work. we were advised to use a cd, but that told us there was an error (always the same error code!).

I'll try with the newer version as soon as it appears, but I'm afraid I'll have to stay on this 1607 thingy, unless I want to format the machine...

Ciao, thanks!

Ollie

Il 05/10/2017 19:16, Randy Barnett ha scritto:
[...]

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your suggestions.

At the moment, luckily, it only affects attempts to update the machine, but before i discovered the culprit (laparola.net Bible app), it simply interfered with both NVDA and Narator, but not in all programmes. I couldn't use browsers, Thunderbird, and menus at random in some software. I could read documents, and use, for instance, file managers like Total commander.

No Adobe Digital editions, or other stuff like that. Once the programme was removed, NVDA and Narrator were resurrected, and I was able to resume my normal work.

But no updates... The system tells me there are updates; it downloads them, prepares for installation, and then goes bananas, and asks me to retry.

Now that you mention audio and video drivers, it occurs to me that I changed monitor. It was definitely before this occurred. Could it be that?

I must try and put back the one I had before. We changed it, because the other one was playing up. I generally keep it off, but my husband is sighted and, when eh needs to use my machine, he needs the monitor. I must give it a try. I have nothing to lose, so why not?

Thanks again. Ciao,

Ollie

Il 05/10/2017 18:32, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Does device manager complain about any hardware issues or misconfigured bits of hardware? I have seen this error associated with codecs and hardware drivers, particularly in video and audio hardware, but I strongly suspect the error is more like.
Help something is stopping me from doing what I'm trying to do and so I'll give up!

Might be worth running something like ccleaner over it but I'm not confident its going to be that simple. What does a look at the updates record look like, do you see a litany of failed updates?
If so then, there is probably some kind of  registry corruption.
Most of the times many see this error is when they have not used K-Lite pack or other codecs and attempt to play certain video files on the machine.
From what you describe though I think its more subtle.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mallard" <mallard@kimabe.eu>
My machine (a desktop from HP, which was bought refurbished, and has 12GB of ram at the moment) doesn't seem to want to upgrade to Creator.
It has been attempiting to do the updates, but every time it says there's an error, and can't complete the procedure.

It gives me the following error:

Error: 0x8007001f

I searched for the code on teh web, and so did my husband, but we didn't come up with anything viable.

Has anyone, by any chance, experienced somehting like this, and how did you solve it, if you did at all?

Thanks, ciao,
Ollie

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

As long as i entered in the right error code and did not leave any thing else i done a quick search and came up with this page at http://www.errorlive.com/error-code-0x8007001f

Hopefully i copied the whole error code but it if it is this one looks like you need to update your audio driver or try some of the steps there.

Usually at times it is usually to do with a usb device.

Gene nz

On 10/6/2017 9:14 AM, Mallard wrote:
[...]

the monitor should not be causing it i am guessing unless it has a driver for the audio but do not think so and if it did maybe a windows default one.

Gene nz

On 10/6/2017 9:24 AM, Mallard wrote:
[...]

From what you describe though I think its more subtle.
Not having a working windows 10 machine at present I'm not sure what else to suggest. Does this affect the working of the current system or just when you want to update the machine?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mallard" <mallard@...>
My machine (a desktop from HP, which was bought refurbished, and has 12GB of ram at the moment) doesn't seem to want to upgrade to Creator.
It has been attempiting to do the updates, but every time it says there's an error, and can't complete the procedure.

It gives me the following error:

Error: 0x8007001f

I searched for the code on teh web, and so did my husband, but we didn't come up with anything viable.

Has anyone, by any chance, experienced somehting like this, and how did you solve it, if you did at all?

Thanks, ciao,
Ollie

Mallard <mallard@...>

Gene,

that's the very first page I found too, and the very first thing we did, with my husband, but to no avail...

Goodness knows what is causing this thing.

The funny thing is, that my little, old packard Bell netbook from 2010 upgraded to 1703 without any issues whatsoever, even using my smartphone as a hotspot...

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 05/10/2017 22:36, Gene New Zealand ha scritto:

[...]

Image NVDA certified expert

Austin Pinto <austinpinto.xaviers@...>

i would first suggest you to join the win10 list on groups.io
if you havent already done that.
next.
can you give a full specification of your computer?
include which cpu, video card, hard drive size, which screen readers
are installed.
next.
try this before replying.
1. go to run box.
2. type services.msc
3. once it opens press tab and find windows update service and go to
its properties.
4. change type to disabled.
remember the type it was set before you did this as we need to set it
back after you do the next steps.
5. click on stop.
6. once stops click on apply and ok.
7. go to c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\downloads.
empty this folder.
8. go to properties of c drive and do a disk cleanup.
select to clean system files.
check all the boxes and select clean.
9. if you use a 3rd party antivirus then write down the product key
and uninstall it.
10. reboot your computer.
11. go to services.msc and change the type of the windows update
service to the type it was setup and start the service.
12. check for update and hopefully it should install now.
13. if doesnt install then update all drivers including bios from hp site.
reply on how it goes.

On 10/6/17, Mallard <mallard@kimabe.eu> wrote:
[...]

material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where
you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can
use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To
find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit
(Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert
near you, please visit the following link
https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains
the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world,
who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Stephen

It sounds like a windows permissions problem.

At 08:00 PM 10/6/2017, you wrote:
[...]

that error can mean anything and mostly means driver error or some
other software that interferes with the upgrade

At 08:00 PM 10/6/2017, you wrote:
[...]

Assuming it is a Windows eprmission problem, what can be done about it? Where should I look?

Thanks, ciao,

Ollie

At 08:00 PM 10/6/2017, you wrote:
[...]

Tony Ballou

Hi Allie,

Sorry I'm getting to this so late.  If possible, I'd like to help, can
you contact me off list. I've had similar problems with windows 10
updates and just got them straightened out by updating the video card in
my desktop.

Tony

On 10/5/2017 9:23 AM, Mallard wrote:
Hello all,

My machine (a desktop from HP, which was bought refurbished, and has
12GB of ram at the moment) doesn't seem to want to upgrade to Creator.
It has been attempiting to do the updates, but every time it says
there's an error, and can't complete the procedure.

It gives me the following error:

Error: 0x8007001f

I searched for the code on teh web, and so did my husband, but we
didn't come up with anything viable.

Has anyone, by any chance, experienced somehting like this, and how
did you solve it, if you did at all?

Thanks, ciao,
Ollie

Tony Ballou

Hi allie,

The dilemma you appear to be facing is a audio drivers error. Like
windows 10, they may also need to be updated. Because this is a
refurbished system, You can try to use the device manager applet to find
the correct audio driver, if that doesn't solve the issue, it may be
time to upgrade some of the hardware.

Tony

On 10/5/2017 9:23 AM, Mallard wrote:
Hello all,

My machine (a desktop from HP, which was bought refurbished, and has
12GB of ram at the moment) doesn't seem to want to upgrade to Creator.
It has been attempiting to do the updates, but every time it says
there's an error, and can't complete the procedure.

It gives me the following error:

Error: 0x8007001f

I searched for the code on teh web, and so did my husband, but we
didn't come up with anything viable.

Has anyone, by any chance, experienced somehting like this, and how
did you solve it, if you did at all?

Thanks, ciao,
Ollie

Mallard <mallard@...>

Hello Tony,

We tried again with all we could try. Nothing doing. At this point I've decided to give up, because the machine works very well as it is, so I'll let it go its own way as long as it goes. I'll think about it when time comes.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 12/10/2017 03:28, Tony Ballou ha scritto:
[...]

Well I have 2 units and I will try tomorrow and see what they do

On 16/10/2017 7:51 p.m., Mallard wrote:
[...]

Quentin Christensen

I've had one or two builds with various problems.  One trick I've found that has sometimes worked to fix an update not working is to empty the "softwaredistribution" folder.  As per: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/how-to-delete-downloaded-but-not-installed-windows/96e73135-bc4d-408c-9b5e-b9d299275178?auth=1

Basically go to the following folder:
%windir%\softwaredistribution\download
and delete everything in it.

If you are running Windows insiders, there has been a new build since then, so if there were problems with that one (I did see Windows insiders tweet they were getting reports of problems downloading recently, but can't remember exactly which build that was for) then the more recent build might have fixed it.  In any case, it will download it again and hopefully get everything it needs.

Kind regards

Quentin

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 6:11 PM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
[...]

Training and Support Manager