Broken file list in open/save dialogs?

Damien Garwood <damien@...>

Hi,
For some reason, I'm struggling to access the files and folders list of a standard open/save dialog. Even more strangely, it's only in one program. This has only started happening today, since I updated Windows 10 from 1809 to 1909.
When I try to access the list, all I get from NVDA is: "Items view list". Any attempt to move up and down the list results in silence, and any attempt to move back to parent directories results in a repeat of "items view list".
Has anyone got any ideas as to why this might be happening, or how to fix it?
Cheers.
Damien.

Sarah k Alawami

For which program are you experienceing trouble?

Take care

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 20 Nov 2019, at 10:43, Damien Garwood wrote:

Hi,
For some reason, I'm struggling to access the files and folders list of a standard open/save dialog. Even more strangely, it's only in one program. This has only started happening today, since I updated Windows 10 from 1809 to 1909.
When I try to access the list, all I get from NVDA is: "Items view list". Any attempt to move up and down the list results in silence, and any attempt to move back to parent directories results in a repeat of "items view list".
Has anyone got any ideas as to why this might be happening, or how to fix it?
Cheers.
Damien.

Damien Garwood <damien@...>

Hi sarah,
I experience the problem in QWS.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 20/11/2019 06:54 pm, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
For which program are you experienceing trouble?
Take care
Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. <http://www.tffppodcast.com> This is also our libsyn page as well.
Our telegram <https://t.me/tffppodcast> channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.
Our discord <https://discord.gg/fr7MaVK> is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.
Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>
On 20 Nov 2019, at 10:43, Damien Garwood wrote:
Hi,
For some reason, I'm struggling to access the files and folders list
of a standard open/save dialog. Even more strangely, it's only in
one program. This has only started happening today, since I updated
Windows 10 from 1809 to 1909.
When I try to access the list, all I get from NVDA is: "Items view
list". Any attempt to move up and down the list results in silence,
and any attempt to move back to parent directories results in a
repeat of "items view list".
Has anyone got any ideas as to why this might be happening, or how
to fix it?
Cheers.
Damien.

Sarah k Alawami

Well, that program is probably quite old, and for me has not gotten an update since about 2004 or so. You can contact the author but if he is no longer updating I would switch to a different midi editor.

On 20 Nov 2019, at 11:00, Damien Garwood wrote:

[...]

The version I have I believe was released in 2015.
What confuses me is:
1. The problem only happened after an update, so QWS itself isn't bugged.
2. Since the update, I have only seen that problem in the one program, which makes me think that it's not an incompatibility issue in communication between Windows and/or NVDA.
3. The problem in question manifests itself in a standard Windows dialog that has existed since XP, if not earlier, and whose accessibility has been a stable anchor for the past 20 years.
I have experienced similar issues previously in earlier versions of Skype 8, and sometimes in GoldWave if an intensive task is in progress, but those scenarios somehow seemed to fix themselves over time.
Maybe this one will as well, who knows. But, if NVDA is struggling in a simpkle dialog box, then something is seriously wrong somewhere. Maybe one of those really annoying hard to reproduce bugs...Some visual aspect of window positioning, perhaps?
Cheers,
Damien.

<http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp>
[...]

Maybe. Can you reproduce the problem then providce yoru log here, not attached, but in the body of a message?. So far knocl on wood I have not had this issue.

On 20 Nov 2019, at 14:56, Damien Garwood wrote:

[...]

Gene

But the question is, why was the files list accessible before and can it be made so now and this question is relevant in general.

First, is it really inaccessible?  What is files of type set on.  Let's say it's mid.  If, somehow, you are unexpectedly in a folder with no subfolders and no mid files, you will see nothing.  Change files of type to all if there is such a setting and see what you find.  If you can't, then backspace in the name list and see if you move to a folder with subfolders where you can down arrow and see folders displayed.

I may have another suggestion or two, but I'll wait to see what happens.

Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:21 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Broken file list in open/save dialogs?

[...]

You should never assume in a case like this that the screen-reader is the problem.  If it works in every other program where it is expected to, then I would consider it far more likely that the Windows update did something to damage or interfere with the program you are working with.

Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:56 PM

> [...]

>         Our discord <https://discord.gg/fr7MaVK> is where you will know
>         when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.
>
>         Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here
>         <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>
>
>         On 20 Nov 2019, at 10:43, Damien Garwood wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>         For some reason, I'm struggling to access the files and folders list
>         of a standard open/save dialog. Even more strangely, it's only in
>         one program. This has only started happening today, since I updated
>         Windows 10 from 1809 to 1909.
>         When I try to access the list, all I get from NVDA is: "Items view
>         list". Any attempt to move up and down the list results in silence,
>         and any attempt to move back to parent directories results in a
>         repeat of "items view list".
>         Has anyone got any ideas as to why this might be happening, or how

Luke Davis

While I agree with all of Gene's comments in this thread, I do suggest that you:

Try NVDA -> Tools -> Run COM Registration Fixing Tool.

Luke

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019, Damien Garwood wrote:

Hi Sarah,
The version I have I believe was released in 2015.
What confuses me is:
1. The problem only happened after an update, so QWS itself isn't bugged.

Damien Garwood <damien@...>

Which log am I sending? I get confused with all these different types and levels, the two debug settings, the developer controls and so on.

When I am in the dialog, I can backspace up four levels of directories. None of them are providing any feedback other than "Items view list" when I backspace, and silence when I move up and down.
To be honest I'm too confused to really assume anything. It's a case I've never come across before. How can Windows update interfere with a standard dialog? Then again, why should NVDA struggle with it when it usually works with it, as well as dialogs that are far more complicated?

What is the com registration tool? I have seen it in the menu but haven't seen it referenced in the documentation.
Cheers,
Damien.

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019, Damien Garwood wrote:

Which log am I sending? I get confused with all these different types and levels, the two debug settings, the developer controls and so on.
In general, use the combo box to set the log level to debug.
Then send the log, or part of the log, that you find at %temp%\nvda.log

This is a case where my DebugHelper add-on would come in handy, to generate a mark right before you try to read the dialog in question, and then search for that mark in the log. But that's a digression.
If you want to send the whole log, be aware that it might contain anything you've typed in this NVDA session.
You might want to send it privately.

What is the com registration tool? I have seen it in the menu but haven't seen it referenced in the documentation.
Sometimes, in windows, certain DLLs become unregistered for various reasons (usually from software uninstallation or Windows updates). The tool fixes them.
The even more effective answer is: when things are behaving outside the norm for no apparent reason, run that tool--it may fix them, and at worst it will do nothing.

Luke

Damien Garwood <damien@...>

Hi Luke,
The com registration tool unfortunately didn't fix the problem.
Excerpt of log follows:

IO - speech.speak (10:13:35.648):
Speaking [u'Untitled - Quick Windows Sequencer']
IO - speech.speak (10:13:35.654):
Speaking [u'list']
IO - speech.speak (10:13:35.655):
Speaking [u'unknown']
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (10:13:35.970):
Input: kb(laptop):control+o
IO - speech.speak (10:13:36.430):
Speaking [u'Open File dialog File name:']
IO - speech.speak (10:13:36.430):
Speaking [u'File name: combo box collapsed']
IO - speech.speak (10:13:36.434):
Speaking [u'edit Alt+n']
IO - speech.speak (10:13:36.436):
Speaking [u'blank']
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (10:13:36.658):
Input: kb(laptop):shift+tab
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:36.676):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 4260564, objectID 12 and childID 0: [Error -2147024809] The parameter is incorrect
IO - speech.speak (10:13:36.720):
Speaking [u'Items View list']
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (10:13:36.786):
Input: kb(laptop):shift+tab
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:36.799):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 4260564, objectID 13 and childID 0: [Error -2147024809] The parameter is incorrect
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (10:13:37.194):
Input: kb(laptop):backspace
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.305):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 37 and childID 0: [Error -2147024809] The parameter is incorrect
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.305):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 24 and childID 0: [Error -2147024809] The parameter is incorrect
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.311):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 55 and childID 0: [Error -2147467259] Unspecified error
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.312):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 56 and childID 0: [Error -2147467259] Unspecified error
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.312):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 57 and childID 0: [Error -2147467259] Unspecified error
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.312):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 58 and childID 0: [Error -2147467259] Unspecified error
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.312):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 59 and childID 0: [Error -2147467259] Unspecified error
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.313):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 60 and childID 0: [Error -2147467259] Unspecified error
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.313):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 61 and childID 0: [Error -2147467259] Unspecified error
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.315):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 62 and childID 0: [Error -2147467259] Unspecified error
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.315):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 63 and childID 0: [Error -2147467259] Unspecified error
IO - speech.speak (10:13:37.354):
Speaking [u'Items View list']
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (10:13:37.763):
Input: kb(laptop):downArrow
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.775):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 65 and childID 0: [Error -2147024809] The parameter is incorrect
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.776):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 66 and childID 0: [Error -2147024809] The parameter is incorrect
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.782):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 67 and childID 0: [Error -2147024809] The parameter is incorrect
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (10:13:37.783):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 2623306, objectID 69 and childID 0: [Error -2147467259] Unspecified error

Cheers,
Damien.

On 21/11/2019 09:37 am, Luke Davis wrote:
[...]

Richard Wells

This was a problem with QWS and NVDA previous to Windows 10 1909. I work
around it by reading current line when navigating.

On 11/20/2019 1:00 PM, Damien Garwood wrote:
[...]

Angelo Sonnesso

Can you still get QWS?

73 N2DYN Angelo

[...]

On 11/21/2019 10:17 AM, Angelo Sonnesso wrote:
Can you still get QWS?

73 N2DYN Angelo

[...]

Hi Richard,
Very interesting. Yesterday after the update is the first time I have ever experienced this problem with QWS, though not the first time I have experienced it at all.
When I read the current line, all I get is, "items view".
Cheers,
Damien.

On 21/11/2019 04:12 pm, Richard Wells wrote:
[...]

Another way to work around it is to browse to the .mid file with File
Explorer and open it in QWS that way. If you don't have QWS set as your
default midi editor, use the open with dialog to open the file in QWS.
This is my way of getting things done when NVDA doesn't read what I need.

On 11/21/2019 10:44 AM, Damien Garwood wrote:
[...]

That worked. Thanks.
The interesting thing there is, QWS has a prompt in the installer asking if you wanted it to be the default program to open MIDI files. I said yes, but it didn't work. Hence the reason I never tried the "open with" setting. So that obviously has a different way of associating files. That's a handy tip to know. Thanks.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 22/11/2019 10:36 pm, Richard Wells wrote:
[...]

Since I also have the same problem in the "save as" dialog, is there anything you could suggest for saving new files that I create?
[...]

This is based on Windows Basics and is not limited to any one program.  Since you can't see information in the dialog, have all the files go to the same place, then move them where you want using Computer or file Explorer.

For convenience, make a folder or use one that already exists off the c drive with a short easy to type name.  For example, if you are saving a file, open the save as dialog.  Type c:\sound\name of file followed by a period, then the extension.  In this example, you have created a folder called sound while in the c drive folder, not in a subfolder.  For example:
c:\sound\Big Girls Don't Cry.mid
Read the example carachter by character.

Gene