Getting NVDA to Talk without sound caard

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

I have an older computer running windows XP. Being totally stupid, I deleted the audio drivers and lots of other stuff that might have been necessary to run things. It seems that it boots ok but now I'd like to get it to talk or even to run its alva braille display. I think I have JAWS 9 on it--which, of course, won't talk or display. But now, I've created a portable copy of NVDA, thinking that maybe I can somehow make the machine talk enough to get its drivers back and make it talk normally again.

Any ideas about this situation? Thank you anybody.

Howard

I would simply reformat the system and next time don't kill everything

On 10/10/2017 8:27 a.m., Howard Traxler wrote:
I have an older computer running windows XP.  Being totally stupid, I deleted the audio drivers and lots of other stuff that might have been necessary to run things.  It seems that it boots ok but now I'd like to get it to talk or even to run its alva braille display.  I think I have JAWS 9 on it--which, of course, won't talk or display.  But now, I've created a portable copy of NVDA, thinking that maybe I can somehow make the machine talk enough to get its drivers back and make it talk normally again.

Any ideas about this situation?  Thank you anybody.

Howard

Sarah k Alawami

Agreed. I remember when I made such a mistake almost 20 years ago. Lesson learned.

Take care and be blessed all.

On Oct 9, 2017, at 12:33 PM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

I would simply reformat the system and next time don't kill everything

On 10/10/2017 8:27 a.m., Howard Traxler wrote:
I have an older computer running windows XP.  Being totally stupid, I deleted the audio drivers and lots of other stuff that might have been necessary to run things.  It seems that it boots ok but now I'd like to get it to talk or even to run its alva braille display.  I think I have JAWS 9 on it--which, of course, won't talk or display.  But now, I've created a portable copy of NVDA, thinking that maybe I can somehow make the machine talk enough to get its drivers back and make it talk normally again.

Any ideas about this situation?  Thank you anybody.

Howard

Gene

That's a lot of work without trying other options first.  We don't know what has been removed but if you have a USB sound card or headphones, connecting them may give you sound.  You can buy cheap sound cards for ten U.S. dollars or perhaps less so you can try the experiment for little expense if you don't currently have a sound card.  Or you might be able to borrow a sound card or USB headphones.

Sent: Monday, October 09, 2017 2:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Getting NVDA to Talk without sound caard

I would simply reformat the system and next time don't kill everything

On 10/10/2017 8:27 a.m., Howard Traxler wrote:
> I have an older computer running windows XP.  Being totally stupid, I
> deleted the audio drivers and lots of other stuff that might have been
> necessary to run things.  It seems that it boots ok but now I'd like
> to get it to talk or even to run its alva braille display.  I think I
> have JAWS 9 on it--which, of course, won't talk or display.  But now,
> I've created a portable copy of NVDA, thinking that maybe I can
> somehow make the machine talk enough to get its drivers back and make
> it talk normally again.
>
> Any ideas about this situation?  Thank you anybody.
>
> Howard

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Do you have a old usb sound card laying around? They use generic drivers of windows. I got mine off ebay for not much only a couple of kiwi dollars. Then after you boot the pc plus it it in and then your speakers or headset into it. You then should hear sounds but you might also have to tell nvda to use that one as well under the synth settings.

Gene nz

On 10/10/2017 10:20 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
[...]

The thing that you need to know is that windows 3.1 in fact up to 98se did not use any services as such.

You could delete just about anything and almost everything and it would run fine.

They were just advanced dos shells.

From xp up this changed a lot.

You need a lot of services and startups and tasks a lot of things.

if you kill everything things will not work.

If you have backups its another thing but you must not kill things for no reason.

User accounts are quite hardy things but they can be dammaged by malware or if you delete any tasks or registry entries for them with hex values.

You can also corrupt them if you try to transfer things without doing it the propper way.

In win10, you should be able to make windows store the data most of it in another location leaving it able for you to clear the data folders of files if you so choose and leave the settings alone.

However even if you can do it, chances are you are messing it by just doing so.

I do family work a lot of computer stuff and one of my uncles had a virus which mangled his account.

In another case my uncle the same one decided to transfer his account without doing the proper procedure, that is, make an account log in, then restart, log in, and set permitions for the other folders, move the account to another account, login with that, clear the temp and the other account.

Then reinstall any user apps that use the account spacifically and then the thing works.

For those using office running things will just for most programs just transfer them over and make new settings.

He didn't do any of this and just because he could transfered the entire thing over.

And it worked, except that it didn't the new account was broken and the other account was more broken.

The system guy he brought the system from suggested he reformat.

He didn't have time so took the system to me.

In both cases I had to recreate the 2 user accounts, reinstall all the user apps mainly dropbox google drive and other cloud services that were effected then everything else just worked.

It took me 2-3 hours each time.

Now if you have a second drive in the box and configure things then its possible to simply do what he did but remember that you must make a new account and never transfer settings at all.

[...]

hi.
just reinstall your sound card driver by the help of one sighted person!
hope that help, God bless you.

The thing that you need to know is that windows 3.1 in fact up to 98se
did not use any services as such.

You could delete just about anything and almost everything and it would
run fine.

They were just advanced dos shells.

From xp up this changed a lot.

[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account

I think you are going to need sighted help or a very accommodating cd with the old drivers on it.
Of course you are aware you are now stuck on the 2017.3 version of nvda, or some of the early master and next snaps before the xp system was left behind.

I'm just trying to recall if there used to be some very primitive sound drivers in the windows installer disk. If so it might be possible to use those, but I do not see any way around the problem that to drive the system to install them is going to need sighted help.
Depending on what else is on the system if you do have the media to reinstall and a sighted person then do that.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I have an older computer running windows XP. Being totally stupid, I deleted the audio drivers and lots of other stuff that might have been necessary to run things. It seems that it boots ok but now I'd like to get it to talk or even to run its alva braille display. I think I have JAWS 9 on it--which, of course, won't talk or display. But now, I've created a portable copy of NVDA, thinking that maybe I can somehow make the machine talk enough to get its drivers back and make it talk normally again.

Any ideas about this situation? Thank you anybody.

Howard

Brian's Mail list account

Chuckle, Yes never burn your bridges before you are on the other side. If its not that old, you might wish to try windows 7 sp1 instead. Brian

[...]

Not of much use but way back in the old xt pc days there was a very primative interrrupt driven program that could make the internal pc speaker talk. The snag with it was that in order to do so it pulsed the speaker and took over most of the power of the machine to do it. Totally impractical and sounded very awful.
When cheap sound cards came along the difference was amazing.
[...]

WEll that depends. I don't think XP was as good at doing this as later versions of windows, but obviously its worth a try for a start. Certainly the very cheap creative usb audio dongle managed to work with apparently no software on xp, It was ok as anoutput device, but only had a microphone input, but what do you want for under15 uk pounds.
[...]

If system restore points are available, depending on how old they are, you may b3e able to use an external sound card or USB headphones, such as I suggested earlier, then run a restore point from before the drivers were removed. If so, sighted help won't be necessary.

>I would simply reformat the system and next time don't kill everything
>

> On 10/10/2017 8:27 a.m., Howard Traxler wrote:
>> I have an older computer running windows XP. Being totally stupid, I
>> deleted the audio drivers and lots of other stuff that might have been
>> necessary to run things. It seems that it boots ok but now I'd like to
>> get it to talk or even to run its alva braille display. I think I have
>> JAWS 9 on it--which, of course, won't talk or display. But now, I've
>> created a portable copy of NVDA, thinking that maybe I can somehow make
>> the machine talk enough to get its drivers back and make it talk normally
>> again.
>>
>> Any ideas about this situation? Thank you anybody.
>>
>> Howard

Gene

I doubt that Windows XP is worse at running USB sound cards or headphones without installing software than later versions of Windows.  I've run two USB sound cards from two different manufacturers just by plugging them in.

I would simply reformat the system and next time don't kill everything

On 10/10/2017 8:27 a.m., Howard Traxler wrote:
> I have an older computer running windows XP.  Being totally stupid, I
> deleted the audio drivers and lots of other stuff that might have been
> necessary to run things.  It seems that it boots ok but now I'd like
> to get it to talk or even to run its alva braille display.  I think I
> have JAWS 9 on it--which, of course, won't talk or display.  But now,
> I've created a portable copy of NVDA, thinking that maybe I can
> somehow make the machine talk enough to get its drivers back and make
> it talk normally again.
>
> Any ideas about this situation?  Thank you anybody.
>
> Howard

Actually most soundcards that are usb will work without drivers.

I have andriea electronics and creative sound cards that work without any sound drivers.]

However on the creative card there is no effects and on the andriea electronics you can't adjust the volume that well but it runs fine.

On 10/10/2017 8:34 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
WEll that depends. I don't think XP was as good at doing this as later versions of windows, but obviously its worth a try for a start. Certainly the very cheap creative usb  audio dongle managed to work with apparently no software on xp, It was ok as anoutput device, but only had a microphone input, but what do you want for under15 uk pounds.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
[...]

.

Gene

If you don't install the actual driver, you usually won't get most features the sound card provides.  But just for playing, they will generally play because Windows uses a generic driver for that purpose that works with USB sound cards in general.

Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 4:02 AM

Actually most soundcards that are usb will work without drivers.

I have andriea electronics and creative sound cards that work without
any sound drivers.]

However on the creative card there is no effects and on the andriea
electronics you can't adjust the volume that well but it runs fine.

On 10/10/2017 8:34 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
> WEll that depends. I don't think XP was as good at doing this as later
> versions of windows, but obviously its worth a try for a start.
> Certainly the very cheap creative usb  audio dongle managed to work
> with apparently no software on xp, It was ok as anoutput device, but
> only had a microphone input, but what do you want for under15 uk pounds.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>

Giles Turnbull

Hi Gene, I have a similar-ish situation. My Asus laptop uses Realtec HD audio, and when I try and plug in an external speaker or headphones it wants to run a device configuration program, which is not in the slightest bit accessible.

I asked on an Asus forum and the advice was to uninstall the Realtec HD drivers and replace them with the more basic driver that is available on the Realtec website.

Obviously at the point I uninstall the problematic driver I'll loose all sound for installing the suggested driver.

If I get myself one of those USB soundcards, should I then be able to hear NVDA again while I do the driver installation?

My sighted assistance is not very comfortable with anything more complex than emailing :)

It's not a priority because I don't often have the need to use headphones with my laptop, but if there's a way I could then I'd like to do it.

This is the forum thread if that's any help https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/416243/accessibility+problem+with+Realtek+HD+audio+manager

Thanks,

Giles

Chris Mullins

Hi Giles

Have you tried accessing the configuration program with Narrator?  Also, does your laptop have a single headphone/microphone socket which when you plug something into it asks if it is a microphone or headphones, so it knows if it’s being used for input or output?

Cheers

Chris

Cheers

Chris

[...]

The problem is I think that none of this will now work.
I never did see that issue ever work in xp, only later versions of windows.

Presumably the drivers need to have the correct monitoring and if the drivers are gone then nothing will work. It may well be a usb approach that might break this if the plug and play is still functioning and xp knows of a driver.
[...]

I can only tell you that I think you would have sound since the external device has no relation with the driver used for the internal one.  I'm by no means an expert so, while that is what I think is likely, you may want to wait for other answers.

Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:34 AM

[...]

thanks Chris, my Asus laptop has separate sockets for mic and headphones. I've never used Narator before but just gave it a try and you are right, Narrator does indeed describe the controls.

Thanks for that :)

Giles