something people should be aware of

Hi.

was reading skype blogs and found this.

https://blogs.skype.com/news/2017/10/09/introducing-cortana-skype-microsofts-intelligent-assistant-comes-chat-window/

I really hope that there will be a way to make this shove right off if one wants to.

There is nothing worse than something bringing up suggestions and thinking what to say, if I want this now then I can put several bits of spyware and ransom ware on my system, and forget about skype.

While I see a benifit in this, I really hope we can envoke this at will, if not then maybe I will have to use windows xp for skype instead <sigh>

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

does not worry me. At present it will be for apple devices and android ones.it did not mention windows devices nor windows computers as of yet.

it does not say any thing about the desk top version of skype either.

Gene nz

On 10/10/2017 1:55 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hi.

was reading skype blogs and found this.

https://blogs.skype.com/news/2017/10/09/introducing-cortana-skype-microsofts-intelligent-assistant-comes-chat-window/

I really hope that there will be a way to make this shove right off if one wants to.

There is nothing worse than something bringing up suggestions and thinking what to say, if I want this now then I can put several bits of spyware and ransom ware on my system, and forget about skype.

While I see a benifit in this, I really hope we can envoke this at will, if not then maybe I will have to use windows xp for skype instead <sigh>

hi.
i opened the link and only the informations were about cortana!
where can i read the informations about skype?

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material

True jean.

And it looks like in any case ms seem to be on the verge of chucking that away.

Hopefully before it does die I will be able to get the full link.

I really do hope that skype classic can be kept about even if it was only for those that liked the classic interface.

For myself skype is reasonably rocky as it is.

The only reason its at all accessible as I stay within the contacts and message group tabs.

Get past the main tab tree and its a mess.

On 10/10/2017 2:09 p.m., Gene New Zealand wrote:
[...]

It says it in the link that was given. It is going to be part of skype but looks more like the metro apps at present. We will find out shortly how much it gets used .

I will be looking forwards to playing with it not much different from using a voice assistant on your phone i guess.

Gene nz

On 10/10/17, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It only mentions the smart phone versions here. I unfortunately can see a day when we have multiple voice and text accessible assistants on every device, all arguing with each other about what you actually wanted in the first place
New scientist is calling AI Artificial Ignorance, by the way.
I feel that we should be able to define the areas of our lives these things can get involved in, and how long before some smarty pants comes up with one that asks them all and presents all their answers in a usable way.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I really hope that there will be a way to make this shove right off if one wants to.

There is nothing worse than something bringing up suggestions and thinking what to say, if I want this now then I can put several bits of spyware and ransom ware on my system, and forget about skype.

While I see a benifit in this, I really hope we can envoke this at will, if not then maybe I will have to use windows xp for skype instead <sigh>

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

A classic case ofsomething having been added to by so many different programmers and teams that I bet nobody really understands it and hence screw it up every time they attempt to do anything.
[...]

I think the worrying part to this is that it means its reading your live chat from the keyboard and I can just imagine it adding a new message when you pause telling you when you mention blindd that a shop selling blinds is just down the road.. grin.

On 10/10/17, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz><mailto:hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz> wrote:

[...]

Well I do hope we don't use all of them all at once.

However if you had them in some sort iof array and needed to do extra queries about things then maybe.

Siri is quite acurate for apple googles one has a few more advantages, amazons stuff is growing ms I don't know but yeah, if something used all of them and then one of them gave the answer you needed that would be good.

Obviously I hope one could just use which one he or she wanted, but there is no reason that they all couldn't talk together about an issue, ofcause there would be data and abattery things if all had to upload to eachother but maybe it could be compressed.

Right now though if you have apple you have siri with google you have google.

With samsung you have samsung whatever they use.

So as long as you don't install their apps of various things technically who knows.

I do hope you can set control of whatever you have.

On the other hand if you could run all of them, then only have one envoke with its word and well depending on where etc you chose.

Though if they all ran together hmmm.

On 10/10/2017 8:52 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

.

Well I do hope you can turn off all the stuff you don't want.

However ofcause if you could set phrases if you need to have it do things for spaciffic things well.

Sure it can suggest and advertise for you, however if you can't control it at all its basically useless.

And to be honest on a really serious note, with the death of ms music, if this gets any worse, I am seriously going to have to just not sign in with an ms account or maybe never use win10 and remain on  7 for ever or xp or something if it starts getting me angry or something really stupid.

Maybe I will have to download one of those dodgy spyware full antispyware software and turn a lot of stuff off breaking a whole lot of things.

The thing is we really need control, and I just don't see much of it.

There was a worrying article released on news that ms from consumer point of view seems to be servicing businesses instead of its standard user base anymore.

Unsure if its true but reguardless of this, there are so many settings, tips, suggestions, adds, and the like I have to turn off that its a real pain and takes more and more time during setup.

I bet you that when the big update comes out next week I will be sitting at the system, checking through settings and turning a lot of things off again.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene New Zealand" <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz>
[...]

The problem of Edge opening PDF files is that if there are edit boxes
in the file they do not appear. I tried one with edit boxes and I
could not write in them with edge, but with Acrobat Reader DC I could.
The way to go wround this is to use the application key and open the
file in Acrobat Reader DC otherwise Edge will kick in by default.
Windows was never as aggressive as in 10.

wrote:

[...]

Hmm well i hope not as my Christmas is going to be very frustrating, planning to get a new laptop with 10 on it before that.
[...]

Sorry for my previous message. I meant it for somewhere else.
Nevzat

wrote:

[...]

Well going slightly off for a sec, earlier this week I did report the issue with narator and search boxes not speaking contents or up and down arrow presses.

I submitted feadback, I also tested turning off all the services and startup items and running in core mode I even turned the ms security startup program and it still did the same thing.

One thing I did solve was that disk cleaner then was able to appear and clean fully without stopping speech, and also was able to clear updates and such however obviously something happened because after a bit I thought I would just continue cleaning when I switched the system back to full mode.

I quit disk cleaner, set everything back and shut down except the system refused to shut down.

On restart it just sat there in a weird mode till I turned it off.

It then started normally enough though slow and after another cleaning run I noticed the items to clear updates etc just did not exist so who knows at any rate interesting, the system is now working and that issue will probably not effect me ever again unless I need to run another diagnostic run.

So my narator report is in the hub and I can confirm its just the start menu search box that does this the cortana one, the desktop and file and settings boxes are left alone.

Its not that big of a deal its just that start menu search is broken with narator, lets hope the fix goes in the next build.

Then again, the workstation is about 5 years old  4 of those years I have had 10 on but for a brief period it had 7, I guess I will eventually need to reformat which by rights should be easy to do since all data is on another drive so its not like I loose out in fact a couple days loading all those apps back, and bar the standard apps I load on, 7zip, ccleaner, cd burner xp and a few extras who knows.

On 11/10/2017 12:33 a.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Well I wouldn't worry, you can turn most of the suggestions and tips off.

Sadly you need to turn your diagnostics to basic to and all that junk.

I will sadly have to restructure my folder structure so I don't have 12 enteries and growing because of windows defender targeting blind software most are bgt games, some are actual programs, small things but still the thing is well.

I am going to stop short from excluding my downloads folder, at least the main one, I have a second for the ftp client so maybe I can well shove all the stuff I am not sure about over there.

I really should structure my folders when I first install because especially with antivirus and security software becoming more zellous I really should have folders for say blind games, then install all my programs into it  then other catogories like that and just do that, then I can just exclude all those folders and not worry.

I know that really defeats the purpose of antivirus but all these manufacturers really don't have the facility to report and at any rate even if they did allow for large files, the fact is you can't submit them at all.

This seriously is more than a coincidence antivirus programs are targeting blind people's software.

I am sure no one else has it this bad.

[...]

Well I suspect it went for last known good and hence it was before it got itself confused.
I've noticed similar issues on 7 with some so called safe software.
[...]

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Anyone remember the search engine dogpile?

It was a search engine that would submit your search to several other search engines, then collate the results, and present them in one unified interface.  Very nice, and I used it a lot.  I was very disappointed when it went bye-bye.  Another search engine I liked very much was findwhat.  It rarely returned more than a page of results, and each and every time, the results were always relevant to what I was searching for.  Even google doesn't give me that kind of return on my searches.

On 10/10/2017 5:07 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

I remember dog pile. It was a search engine. I heard about it through a friend.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Everiss"
<sm.everiss@gmail.com>
crosofts-intelligent-assistant-comes-chat-window/

I really hope that there will be a way to make this shove right off
if one wants to.

There is nothing worse than something bringing up suggestions and
thinking what to say, if I want this now then I can put several bits
of spyware and ransom ware on my system, and forget about skype.

While I see a benifit in this, I really hope we can envoke this at
will, if not then maybe I will have to use windows xp for skype
instead <sigh>

.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I use startpage mostly, but google for other stuff.