Topics

Please, give me your LibreOffice issues

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

I'm having a look at our LibreOffice issues, and also LibreOffice's NVDA issues.  So, if anyone has any bugs or issues with LibreOffice and NVDA, now would be a great time to raise them so I can capture the current state of play.

I have been working through our issues tagged with LibreOffice: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/labels/libreoffice

and The Document Foundation's issues with NVDA: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=nvda

If you haven't already reported an issue in either of those places, even if you've previously raised it here, please let me know, just to make sure I don't miss it.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

hi quentin.
i reported some bugs in libreoffice including not supporting sayAll,
issues with diacritics, etc.
but i have issues with reading footnotes and i dont know if its
reported previously or not.

i am not familiar with tables, but i read in the list that there are
some accessibility issues using tables in libreoffice.
i also think that offline help is not accessible for screen reader
users and i reported it previously.
also in the list i read that libreoffice has issues with spell checker
for accessibility usage.
i now remember these things, but i remember that i reported many
things and i dont remember them at the moment.

On 10/10/17, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
[...]

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Michel Such

Hi Quentin,

Obviously, the first issue is with sayAll which stops at the first paragraph boundary, and the same problem happens when scrolling with braille.

Then, it would be nice if we could have the same navigation facilities we have for example in MSWord (quick navigation etc), but these are more enhancements than issues.

Le 10/10/2017 à 03:08, Quentin Christensen a écrit :
[...]

Thanks Zahra and Michael,

Zahra, I know I have some of yours already so I've set your comments aside so I get everything once in one list.

Also re that say all issue, I found in the LibreOffice bugs, a reference to an earlier issue of ours (filed for Open Office) re the say all bug, so I've closed the later issue on our system (the one you commented on Zahra), referring back to the earlier one - It doesn't mean it's fixed, or that it won't be, just keeping everything tidy, and yes, I agree with both of you, this is one of the more important issues with NVDA in LibreOffice.

Michael, re enhancements, no problem, keep them coming - and indeed, catching up to features in Microsoft Office is quite a reasonable request.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Michel Such <michel.such@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hi I have a portable copy on Libra Office. One issue is that the end of a line ie carriage return seems not to say anything so it gets very hard to tell if I am indeed on a new line in the writer.
Obviously there is no support for browse and focus mode on it, and it also seems quite slow.

I have not tried to use the other parts of Libra. Certainly the database is totally silent, and the spreadsheet seems basic in the extreme, not tried any presentation stuff.

I also here error sounds quite often in Writer and the errors in nvda refer to symphony, so I'm guessing parts of the app module were in fact written for Symphony, not the derivatives.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Walmir Schultz <wsautodidata@...>

Hi, Quentin,

1 - First things first:

When I open Calc or Writer, NVDA announces "Unknown".

If I try NVDA+T, I hear "soffice".

To get access to the document, I must hit ALT+TAB twice.

2 )- After the previous behavior, Writer "orks", but Calc doesn't.
Moving acroos lines or columns using arrow keys or TAB only works for the first cell. Aftr this, nothing is announced.
ALT+TAB dowsn't work in this case.
The way to get out of this "trap" is pressing F2 twice to enter and exit edit mode.
Important note: this only occurs in files with multiplie spreadsheets.
3 - Moving between spreadsheets
I use CTR+PGUP and ctrl+pgdwn TO MOVE BETWEEN SPREADSHEETS, BUT nvda APPEARS TO HAVE PTOBLEMS ANNOUNCING THE NAME OF EACH ONE. It has an erratic behavior, annoucing some names and being muite in others.
I don't know if the first line being fixed in some spreadsheets have something to do with this.
4 - More to come...
Thank you very much for give attention to LibreOffice!

Em 09/10/2017 22:08, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

[...]

hi walmir.
about first and second issues, which version of libreoffice do you use exactly?
libreoffice is very slow in compare to microsoft office when i open files.
so, its slow to open files and nvda is slow sometimes to read.
we dont need use alt tab multiple times, but the best way is to close
other open programs and be patient to libreoffice open files and nvda
reads!
for second issue, in some versions we need to use f2 twice and in some
versions we dont need.

for this reason, i asked you the version number of libreoffice!

i installed version 5.3.4.1 x86 to use it forever and dont have such issues!

hope that help, God bless you all!

On 10/10/17, Walmir Schultz via Groups.Io
<wsautodidata=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I was using version 5.2.7.0, but to answer the question about issues in LibreOffice, upgraded to 5.4.2.2.
Really, when I wait for some time, issue 1 is explained: LibreOffice is slow to open files.
Thank you.

Em 11/10/2017 03:11, zahra escreveu:

[...]

A correction.

The "Unknown, soffice" issue is solved when I wait some seconds when opening Writer.

But with Calc it did not work, even waiting for 5 minutes and for files with only 18KB. In this case, only ALT+TAB gave me access to the file.

Em 11/10/2017 08:55, Walmir Schultz via Groups.Io escreveu:

[...]

More issues:

1 - In Calc, in a cell that has a formula that shows a result and is configured to show a number with 2 decimal places, NVDA announces more than 12 digits after the decimal point. But, with the sequence CTRL+C / NVDA+C to copy the cell contents an show it on the clipboard, NVDA reads only two numbers after the decimal point, correctly.

This is very annoying.
This behavior started in LibreOffice 5.2.
2 - In Writer, I would like to change between focus and browse mode, something I once used in MS Office.

[...]

Arnþór Helgason

I have been tusing LibreOffice for some time. The advantage is that it can save documents as docx-documents. But when you open the documents my computer usually freeses.

Therefore I try to avoid this format but use MSWord 2003-version in Libre Office.

Open Office is more flexible except the formats are not as many.

Best regards,

Arnthor Helgason

--
Arnþór Helgason,
Vináttusendiherra/Friendship Ambassador

http://kim.is
http://arnthorhelgason.blog.is

Tony Ballou

Hi Quentin,

One area of Libre office that gives me problems is when you press f5, it goes into a navigator.  There's not much accessibility in there and it also wouldn't hurt to be able to use the go to feature like you would in Microsoft Word.

Cheers.

Tony

[...]

In Writer, when a paragraph starts in one page and ends in the next, NVDA don't read the second page paragraph contents when using CTRL+Arrows.

Best regards

[...]

I think this is part of the same issue as say all and not saying carriage return or line feed at the end of lines etc.