NVDA with Notepad++

Anthony Lawlor <antlaw0@...>

Hi,
I am a software development student who is visually impaired. I use
NVDA to navigate my computer and notepad++ for all my coding. The one
thing that has plagued me is that when I put my cursor on a line in
notepad++, NVDA reads five lines below where my cursor is instead of
the line my cursor is actually on. This makes coding more difficult
for me. Is there a way to get NVDA to read my current line that I have
my cursor on in notepad++ instead of five lines below?

Thank you

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Hi, I started programming this semester myself and notepad plus plus is used in two of my courses. I still prefer droid edit on my phone, but I've used notepad plus plus with nvda versions 2017-2 and 2017-3 on both windows 7 and 10 and have not had the issue you described.

Having said that, Nvda doesn't read me the line numbers. It's possible something looks sketchy on the screen but hasn't effected me yet.

This is pretty basic functionality. I have to think there is some key problem with your system that is causing a failure.

If I can do anything to help you test this, please let me know.

Best,

Erik

On October 10, 2017 3:08:52 PM "Anthony Lawlor" <antlaw0@...> wrote:

Hi,
I am a software development student who is visually impaired. I use
NVDA to navigate my computer and notepad++ for all my coding. The one
thing that has plagued me is that when I put my cursor on a line in
notepad++, NVDA reads five lines below where my cursor is instead of
the line my cursor is actually on. This makes coding more difficult
for me. Is there a way to get NVDA to read my current line that I have
my cursor on in notepad++ instead of five lines below?

Thank you

Ron Canazzi

Hi Anthony,

On both Windows 8 and 7 machines, and with Notepad Plus Plus, I do not have this issue.  I do have a minor issue wherein when I type a line of text and make a mistake and then go back into the line to edit it after it has been written, sometimes, the line double reads if I press the down arrow key to move to the next line.  I have found that pressing the end key to move to the end of the line and then using up/down arrow keys fixes the problem--a minor inconvenience at worst.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Are you saying, that if, for example, you down arrow four times from the top of a document, you hear line 9?  I want to be completely sure what you are describing.  Are you talking about what you hear when you use the arrow keys or what you hear when you use screen review commands such as numpad 8 for read current line?

Is word wrap on in Notepad or off?  Is NVDA set to object navigation as the review setting or screen review or something else?

I'm not sure what's causing the problem but I want to be sure what the problem is and how things are set.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

hi.
i turned on wordwrap in notepad plus plus and have the problem about cursor!
please someone guide me too.
God bless you all!

On 10/11/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Jacob Kruger

May I ask another, slightly related question?

Why does notepad++ get recommended so much as a code editor for VI guys/screenreader users, when problems like this keep on getting mentioned?

I ask this since, while I do have it installed here, for handling a couple of things relating to characterset encoding, it has never been, and, will never be my primary code editor, since for working with things like PHP, javascript, HTML and python, edSharp has always provided a much better programmer's interface, interaction, and, has never really given me any issues with regards to screen reader usage, etc.

And, no, this is not anything like a form of rant, but, just wondering why notepad++ consistently gets recommended to screenreader users for a programmer's editor, when these issues seem to consistently keep on getting mentioned?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2017/10/11 07:57, zahra wrote:
[...]

If you turn on Word wrap, the lines may be of a different length than the actual line.  I don't know what you are describing.  Are the lines numbered or in what way are you saying they don't correspond?  Evidently, when word wrap is off, you don't have the problem.  If you have a line that is twice as long as would be found in a word processor document, word wrap makes it appear on screen as two lines so all the text will fit on screen.  So you would have the real line 1 taking two lines on screen.  I don't know if something like that is happening in your case but word wrap isn't supposed to give true lines.  It's supposed to break up real lines for display on the screen into line lengths that will fit on the screen.  The actual document isn't changed but the way it id displayed is.

i turned on wordwrap in notepad plus plus and have the problem about cursor!
please someone guide me too.
God bless you all!

On 10/11/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> Are you saying, that if, for example, you down arrow four times from the top
> of a document, you hear line 9?  I want to be completely sure what you are
> describing.  Are you talking about what you hear when you use the arrow keys
> or what you hear when you use screen review commands such as numpad 8 for
> read current line?
>
> Is word wrap on in Notepad or off?  Is NVDA set to object navigation as the
> review setting or screen review or something else?
>
> I'm not sure what's causing the problem but I want to be sure what the
> problem is and how things are set.
>
> Gene

if i turn off wordWrap, one line for me sometimes contains thousands
of characters!
i tried it one time, in a txt file if i dont press enter after any
sentence to create any new line, as i told, one line for me was
thousands of characters!
also when i turn it on, when i press home in one line, my cursor
changes incorrectly, some words in the middle of line and even goes to
other previous or next lines!
its very frustrating and dont know what should i do/

[...]

I cant tell from your discussion how you know you are not on the correct line.  But if you aren't, this may be a problem of NVDA tracking the cursor improperly, or  for whatever reason, reading ahead of where the cursor is.  I don't know how you work with files.  Do you want the lines in the actual file to be automatically ended after a certain number of characters but the files to be text files?  If so, Wordpad may meet your needs.  I haven't looked at it much and I don't recall if you can set margins.  But you can save files as text files.  The soft returns will be converted to hard returns but they will be text files and you should get accurate placement.

if i turn off wordWrap, one line for me sometimes contains thousands
of characters!
i tried it one time, in a txt file if i dont press enter after any
sentence to create any new line, as i told, one line for me  was
thousands of characters!
also when i turn it on, when i press home in one line, my cursor
changes incorrectly, some words in the middle of line and even goes to
other previous or next lines!
its very frustrating and dont know what should i do/

On 10/11/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> If you turn on Word wrap, the lines may be of a different length than the
> actual line.  I don't know what you are describing.  Are the lines numbered
> or in what way are you saying they don't correspond?  Evidently, when word
> wrap is off, you don't have the problem.  If you have a line that is twice
> as long as would be found in a word processor document, word wrap makes it
> appear on screen as two lines so all the text will fit on screen.  So you
> would have the real line 1 taking two lines on screen.  I don't know if
> something like that is happening in your case but word wrap isn't supposed
> to give true lines.  It's supposed to break up real lines for display on the
> screen into line lengths that will fit on the screen.  The actual document
> isn't changed but the way it id displayed is.
>
> Gene

Adriano Barbieri

Hi,

Sorry, but I have to take the defenses for Notepad++.
For me notepad++ is just fantastic!
I do not feel such problems and I use it to read books and write python code.
And always keeps memory of the last position of the cursor at the closure of program.

Cheers
Adriano

[...]

hi gene.
yes, i want the lines in the actual file to be automatically ended
after a certain number of characters but the files to be text files.
because i dont want my lines be thousands of characters!
i want certain amount of characters using notepad plus plus like any
other program.
i cant use wordpad, because of hang for me openning files and
automatic language change between farsi and english that nvda causes!

On 10/11/17, Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io
<adrianobarb@...> wrote:
[...]

I don't know if any text editors can be made to automatically create new lines as if margins were set.  The whole idea of a text editor is to allow the user to create a text file with no formatting of any kind.  Programmers don't want anything to change the length of lines unless they enter a return to start a new one and their lines don't conform to any predetermined length.  each line is as long as it needs to be.  The same for manually creating HTML pages.  The browser usually determines when to break a line.

You can use Notepad or another text editor and, if you want lines not to be too long, you can press return to start a new line.  It's like using an electric typewriter and creating a new line by returning the carriage.  Since there are no margins, unless you find a program that allows you to set margins, this won't be done automatically and you won't be notified when to do it.  But you can develop a feeling of when to do so by experimentation and by having Word Wrap off.  You can experiment by pressing return when you think it's about time to start a new line, then, after you write a number of lines, you can go to the top and read down line by line and see how each line reads in terms of length.

Also, I don't know how you use documents you create.  If you want to use Notepad to create things like actual documents that are more than just informal notes for your own use, you can just turn word wrap on and only use return when you want to start a new line for some reason and two returns to denote a paragraph.  Word wrap automatically shows documents as though lines were created by the text processor. They aren't, but the reader sees new lines on screen of the proper length.  Then you don't have to manually insert hard returns to create new lines unless you want to because the document is shown as though there is a new line.  I never use hard return in Notepad unless I specifically want to create a new line because I have word wrap on.

<adrianobarb@...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, but I have to take the defenses for Notepad++.
> For me notepad++ is just fantastic!
> I do not feel such problems and I use it to read books and write python
> code.
> And always keeps memory of the last position of the cursor at the closure of
>
> program.
>
> Cheers
> Adriano

In my case, my college asked us to use either notepad plusplus or sublime. Sublime is either really naggy, or really expensive depending on which poison you like. Notepad plusplus is no cost, no nag, and on my system it's been totally accessible. I guess I didn't have to take the recommendation. In class I use droid edit on my motorola phone. I'd do all my labs on mobile, but testing and debugging are easier on a pc.

Best,

Erik