Mail Program Suggestions

Earle Zwicker

Just wondering what programs people are using for mail? I have Windows 10 creater, and I still haven't found something I'm completely happy with.

I've tried Thunder bird, but found it to be a bit sluggish.

I've also tried the mail program that's built in, but for some reason message threads are open by default, and I don't see an option to change this behaviour.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can fix these problems, or another email program, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Earle

Sent from my iPhone

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Some people are still useing Outlook express. It is being kept alive by someone out there... Just google it.

On 10/11/2017 1:29 PM, Earle Zwicker wrote:
Just wondering what programs people are using for mail? I have Windows 10 creater, and I still haven't found something I'm completely happy with.

I've also tried the mail program that's built in, but for some reason message threads are open by default, and I don't see an option to change this behaviour.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can fix these problems, or another email program, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Earle

Sent from my iPhone
--
Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.
707-502-5575
1897 SE Dr.
Grants Pass, Or. 97526

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Earl,

In the mail app you have to go to settings to turn off conversation mode. As
far as mail programs, I'm using outlook 2013.

Rosemarie

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Earle
Zwicker
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:30 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Mail Program Suggestions

Just wondering what programs people are using for mail? I have Windows 10
creater, and I still haven't found something I'm completely happy with.

I've also tried the mail program that's built in, but for some reason
message threads are open by default, and I don't see an option to change
this behaviour.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can fix these problems, or another
email program, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for any help you can
give me.

Earle

Sent from my iPhone

Gene

Googling may not give you enough information about the modified version that runs in higher versions of Windows.  Many people have problems with Outlook Express in Windows 7 and higher.  You can play with the version that has been modified to work in higher versions of Windows but whether you have problems that amount to anything is something you'll have to see.  For many users, I see no reason to cling to this old e-mail program with other good alternatives unless you put a lot of importance on identities.  If you have a lot of folders and want to use first letter navigation, that may be another reason to use Outlook Express but you may have problems ranging from DBX corruption to others which may or may not be easy to solve. 

As far as identities are concerned, I haven't worked with identities and I can't comment on where they might be useful. 

The modified Outlook Express is put out by a person and the person is now asking for "donations" because he can't legally charge for a program he doesn't own.  If you want to try an older free version before the person decided to ask for "donations", you can download a free version at the Whitestick site.  I'll check and provide the link if you have questions.

But if you don't want to fool around with Outlook Express, you may find Windows Live Mail to be a good option.  Some people have a crashing problem with the program but many people don't.  I've been using it for many years and I'm very satisfied with it.  There is an older menu version and a newer ribbon version.  I don't think I have information about where to get the newer ribbon version but one or more people on the list do.  I do have information about where to get the older menu version, if desired.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Mail Program Suggestions

Some people are still useing Outlook express. It is being kept alive by
someone out there... Just google it.
On 10/11/2017 1:29 PM, Earle Zwicker wrote:
> Just wondering what programs people are using for mail? I have Windows 10 creater, and I still haven't found something I'm completely happy with.
>
> I've tried Thunder bird, but found it to be a bit sluggish.
>
> I've also tried the mail program that's built in, but for some reason message threads are open by default, and I don't see an option to change this behaviour.
>
> So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can fix these problems, or another email program, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
> Earle
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>

--
Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.
707-502-5575
1897 SE Dr.
Grants Pass, Or. 97526

Brian's Mail list account

Can one purchase Outlook on its own?
I of course being the oddball person I am have the tweaked Outlook express, but I'll not go into why yet again as others think I'm mad!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:29 PM

Earle

Sent from my iPhone

Hello Earl! I also use the latest version of Windows 10. I used to use Windows Live Mail in the past. Now I use Mozilla Thunderbird and Mail from Windows 10 and I'm happy using them. However, if you wanna use something else, just search on Google another mail client.
Cheers,
Florian

Chris Mullins

Hi Earl
In the W10 Mail app, activate settings and in the Reading sub-category
there is a toggle button to turn conversation mode on or off Also in the
main window, expand the filter and you can choose to sort mail items by date
or name.

Cheers
Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Earle
Zwicker
Sent: 11 October 2017 21:30

this behaviour.

give me.

Earle

Sent from my iPhone

If anyone wants to use Windows Live Mail 2012, the final version (and I do mean that literally), I downloaded Microsoft Essentials about 1 week before it was pulled from the Microsoft site.  You can pick and choose among the programs that make up the suite and install only WLM 2012.

The file, in 7zip format, can be downloaded from my Google Drive, here.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

iips file preview is having a problem reconnecting

I can't get to the file to down load it

On 10/12/2017 7:16 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
If anyone wants to use Windows Live Mail 2012, the final version (and I do mean that literally), I downloaded Microsoft Essentials about 1 week before it was pulled from the Microsoft site.  You can pick and choose among the programs that make up the suite and install only WLM 2012.

The file, in 7zip format, can be downloaded from my Google Drive, here.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

Rosemarie Chavarria

I think you still can purchase outlook alone. That's what I did.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's
Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:22 AM

I of course being the oddball person I am have the tweaked Outlook express,
but I'll not go into why yet again as others think I'm mad!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

this behaviour.

give me.

Earle

Sent from my iPhone

Google Drive throws that warning page for 7Zip files since there is no way to preview them.  There is a Download button which, if activated, takes you here:

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B98uELZbPFnOOUtTT3Eyc041T1E&export=download

You'll be warned the file is too large for Google to virus scan.  Activate the "Download Anyway" button if you want to complete the download.

--

Niels Bohr

The link to purchase standalone Outlook 2016 for PC, at $109.99, is https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=619343

--

Niels Bohr

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

Thanks so much for the link for purchasing stand-alone outlook. When I bought my copy of outlook 2013, I happened to see it at Staples.

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:52 AM

The link to purchase standalone Outlook 2016 for PC, at $109.99, is https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=619343

--

Niels Bohr

Cristóbal

You can also buy a full and legitimate Office license on eBay for around $10 give or take. I sometimes come across Office and Windows 10 keys on traditional retail sites for $25 to $35 as well.

--

Niels Bohr

You can buy all office apps indevidually.

On 13/10/2017 4:33 a.m., Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
I think you still can purchase outlook alone. That's what I did.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's
Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:22 AM

I of course being the oddball person I am have the tweaked Outlook express,
but I'll not go into why yet again as others think I'm mad!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

this behaviour.

give me.

Earle

Sent from my iPhone

But are those keys legal, I have seen these company licences but I am unsure are those legal.

I have seen them on auction and to be honest I don't care if they are fake or not but I do care for if they work, or if I need to renew them when I use all of my activations up, I call ms and they say its pirated and then what I am in the can for 10 bucks.

On 13/10/2017 5:03 a.m., Cristóbal wrote:
You can also buy a full and legitimate Office license on eBay for around $10 give or take. I sometimes come across Office and Windows 10 keys on traditional retail sites for $25 to $35 as well.

The link to purchase standalone Outlook 2016 for PC, at $109.99, is https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=619343

Cristóbal

Yes. Generally from scrapped/damaged PCs on eBay at least. Has to do with some sort of EU regulation and software licensing protocol. I don't doubt that there are pirated keys out there, but as with anything, do your research. I only buy from highly rated sellers who usually have feedback in the thousands. As far as the other more traditional sites, I'd have to guess that they've got some sort of arrangement with MS or through some other licensing program. Haven't bought one through them so can't really say.
I've got Office 2016 running on my two machines and had no problem either activating them or any issues since. Same goes for my wife's machines and computers of friends or family I've helped out with in a similar manner.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 10:47 AM

But are those keys legal, I have seen these company licences but I am unsure are those legal.

I have seen them on auction and to be honest I don't care if they are fake or not but I do care for if they work, or if I need to renew them when I use all of my activations up, I call ms and they say its pirated and then what I am in the can for 10 bucks.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Brian Vogel

The link to purchase standalone Outlook 2016 for PC, at $109.99, is
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=619343

Brian's Mail list account

Yes, I had a cd when on xp pro that seemed to have no limit to installs, so if anyone knows the logic miicrosoft work with, I certainly don't.
I have just come across a windows 7 pro and hom couple of discs, but have no idea about the code to register them. Its all very confusing.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 7:10 PM

Yes. Generally from scrapped/damaged PCs on eBay at least. Has to do with some sort of EU regulation and software licensing protocol. I don't doubt that there are pirated keys out there, but as with anything, do your research. I only buy from highly rated sellers who usually have feedback in the thousands. As far as the other more traditional sites, I'd have to guess that they've got some sort of arrangement with MS or through some other licensing program. Haven't bought one through them so can't really say.
I've got Office 2016 running on my two machines and had no problem either activating them or any issues since. Same goes for my wife's machines and computers of friends or family I've helped out with in a similar manner.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss

Brian Vogel

Hmmm ok so thats how that works.

Well then if I see something that cheap on ebay and it looks good I may try to buy it.

I know here in nz its only company licenced units and when my uncle got one of those for windows as part of an x company system when he had to reformat due to a ransomware attack the key just wouldn't activate and he simply got accused of pirating it.

In the end we resolved the situation by just chucking it all away managing to get at expense the data from it, and he brought another system, well 2 of them.

Though who knows if his keys would work I am still not happy about that though.

On 13/10/2017 7:10 a.m., Cristóbal wrote:

Brian Vogel