Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:35 PM
Subject: [nvda] Question about Google Chrome and annoying alerts

Every time I launch Chrome I hear "alert". Sometimes I am also told what the
alert is for, but either way, I can't get rid of the alert nor take any
action if I hear the actual message. Any help would be appreciated--shortcut
key, anything!

Marcia Yale
It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize,
accept, and celebrate those differences.
Audre Lorde

David Griffith

The reason that you are getting the chrome Developer Alert Tools in either in Chrome or Firefox is that you have the Developer Mode turned on.

Go in firefox to Tools then cursor down to Web Developer and then make sure that everything is unchecked in the sub menu which appears after that.

You might have to repeat the uncheck for every item you have in the web developer sub menu.

If you are using Chrome then this presumably  will also be in the Chrome menus somewhere.

However once these web developer options are all unchecked the inaccessible and annoying web development alerts should go away.

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

Every time I launch Chrome I hear "alert". Sometimes I am also told what the

alert is for, but either way, I can't get rid of the alert nor take any

action if I hear the actual message. Any help would be appreciated--shortcut

key, anything!

Marcia Yale

It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize,

accept, and celebrate those differences.

Audre Lorde

Gene

It may be mostly for the reason you say, but when I go to some web sites using Chrome, I get a message that says alert and often nothing more.  This particularly happens on Youttube where the messages seem to alert me that an add is playing that can be skipped, but because they are not read often, only the word "alert" is spoken, I'm inferring what the message may say from the very few times I've heard it read.

Every time I launch Chrome I hear "alert". Sometimes I am also told what the

alert is for, but either way, I can't get rid of the alert nor take any

action if I hear the actual message. Any help would be appreciated--shortcut

key, anything!

Marcia Yale

It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize,

accept, and celebrate those differences.

Audre Lorde

Blee Blat <bleeblat@...>

Is this related to that bug that still means that some edit fields don't read in Chrome? Or is that a different bug? And by not reading I mean that I can type text but cannot review the text with cursor keys to select or edit it on some form fields in Chrome, even though the same fields work in Firefox.

Gene

I don't know if there is any connection.  One accessibility problem deals with edit fields.  This question deals with a message being displayed somewhere in the Chrome window and how to see and dismiss it.  I don't know if either are possible but this is just a display of text somewhere and isn't an edit field.

Gene
Is this related to that bug that still means that some edit fields don't
read in Chrome? Or is that a different bug? And by not reading I mean
that I can type text but cannot review the text with cursor keys to
select or edit it on some form fields in Chrome, even though the same
fields work in Firefox.

David Griffith

I believe that this is the correct diagnoses.

I was getting a regular alert message every time I started Firefox which was impossible to find and dismiss using either  NVDA or Jaws butg  in my case turning web developer mode turned it off and I no longer get the annoying messages.

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

I don't know if there is any connection.  One accessibility problem deals with edit fields.  This question deals with a message being displayed somewhere in the Chrome window and how to see and dismiss it.  I don't know if either are possible but this is just a display of text somewhere and isn't an edit field.

Gene

Is this related to that bug that still means that some edit fields don't
read in Chrome? Or is that a different bug? And by not reading I mean
that I can type text but cannot review the text with cursor keys to
select or edit it on some form fields in Chrome, even though the same
fields work in Firefox.

Marcia Yale

That part of the menu system is not completely accessible and, though I have unchecked a few boxes, I’m still getting the alerts.

I don't know if there is any connection.  One accessibility problem deals with edit fields.  This question deals with a message being displayed somewhere in the Chrome window and how to see and dismiss it.  I don't know if either are possible but this is just a display of text somewhere and isn't an edit field.

Gene

Is this related to that bug that still means that some edit fields don't
read in Chrome? Or is that a different bug? And by not reading I mean
that I can type text but cannot review the text with cursor keys to
select or edit it on some form fields in Chrome, even though the same
fields work in Firefox.

Gene

Are you saying you get alerts on web pages in general or only on some pages such as when listening to a youtube video?  Since developer tools are not active by default in any browser I know of, I'm doubtful that they were the cause.  Also, I've never looked at developer tools in Chrome.  Is there a setting to just turn them completely off?  There is in Firefox and in Firefox they are off by default.

there is also another option that has nothing to do with Firefox.  You could use the speech dictionary to cause the word alert not to be spoken.  This would cause it not to be spoken ever, which may be a consequence you don't want.  But it's an option.

At times, I've used the speech dictionary to cause a word to make a short sound so I know the word is there but it's much faster than listening to the word.  For example, I don't recall what the word is now, but I set NVDA to make a sound like aa by placing to or three a's in the pronounced as field.  So you could hear something like aa instead of alert.  I did that because there might be times I wanted to hear whatever word I was hearing on some web sites spoken but not in general because it was some sort of unnecessary web page information that was often being read.  It isn't anymore but for awhile, on one or two web sites, it was a real annoyance I greatly reduced in that way.

Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:52 AM