where does NVDA support OS system API MSAA

Derek Lane

I ask this question because I'm wondering what it would take for NVDA to work with the zoom meeting platform, and receive notifications from it, as other screen readers do.

The information I was able to get from zoom is the following, and will hopefully be of help for anyone who could take advantage of this info...

"Zoom client in Windows uses OS system API MSAA to support screen reader. The SPEC is described here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd317990(v=vs.85).aspx
In particular details, Zoom client calls the MSAA API https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd373603(v=vs.85).aspx to notify system to inform the screen reader to speak."
Thanks!

Brian's Mail list account

You really need to raise this as an issue in github so the devs will see it, and also try to get a good argument for writing the app module, or alternatively, put it on the add ons list and suggest an add on is created for it if the resources are in nvda to achieve it.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I ask this question because I'm wondering what it would take for NVDA to work with the zoom meeting platform, and receive notifications from it, as other screen readers do.

The information I was able to get from zoom is the following, and will hopefully be of help for anyone who could take advantage of this info...

"Zoom client in Windows uses OS system API MSAA to support screen reader. The SPEC is described here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd317990(v=vs.85).aspx
In particular details, Zoom client calls the MSAA API https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd373603(v=vs.85).aspx to notify system to inform the screen reader to speak."
Thanks!

John Isige

Shouldn't it just work? It's using MSAA and NVDA supports that. I thought the whole point of MSAA is that things get exposed to screen readers. I have no idea what the Zoom meeting thingy is so I can't really help beyond that, but my understanding was that MSAA just exposes things to screen readers and such. But yeah, the dev list would probably be a better place for this, unless somebody from there participates here and can tackle it.

On 10/18/2017 4:31, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
You really need to raise this as an issue in github so the devs will see it, and also try to get a good argument for writing the app module, or alternatively, put it on the add ons list and suggest an add on is created for it if the resources are in nvda to achieve it.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Derek Lane" <derek@...>
I ask this question because I'm wondering what it would take for NVDA to work with the zoom meeting platform, and receive notifications from it, as other screen readers do.

The information I was able to get from zoom is the following, and will hopefully be of help for anyone who could take advantage of this info...

"Zoom client in Windows uses OS system API MSAA to support screen reader. The SPEC is described here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd317990(v=vs.85).aspx
In particular details, Zoom client calls the MSAA API https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd373603(v=vs.85).aspx to notify system to inform the screen reader to speak."
Thanks!

Hi,
In short, accessibility API's are a way for programs and screen readers to cooperate and communicate accurate info about controls, what's happening and what not. In case of Microsoft Active Accessibility or IAccessible, it usually refers to exposing correct info about a control for screen readers and raising appropriate events. By default, NVDA will not automatically announce when something happens on screen unless NVDA is told to keep an eye on events that programs raise.
Regarding the program in question: I advise contacting NV Access and see if they can take a look at it for a fee, or if a free version or a demo can be downloaded, let one of us take a look at it and provide recommendations (unfortunately, due to various commitments, I won't be able to do that at this time).
Cheers,
joseph

I ask this question because I'm wondering what it would take for NVDA
to work with the zoom meeting platform, and receive notifications
from it, as other screen readers do.

The information I was able to get from zoom is the following, and
will hopefully be of help for anyone who could take advantage of this
info...

"Zoom client in Windows uses OS system API MSAA to support screen
reader. The SPEC is described here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd317990(v=v
s.85).aspx In particular details, Zoom client calls the MSAA API
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd373603(v=v
s.85).aspx to notify system to inform the screen reader to speak."
Thanks!

Brian's Mail list account

You might also approach Jonathon Mosen, as I see he promotes this software for his tutorials and webinars, and it might suit him if he could get it to work as it apparently does in Jaws.