dictation on the fly windows key plus h

Josh Kennedy

in the new windows 10 update, you can dictate text on demand and use some basic dictation commands. you do this by hitting windows key plus h. before dictating, a sound is played. when you are done dictating, the computer senses you are done and then you hear the new stop dictating sound effect. there is a problem though. while dictating, NVDA tries to echo what is typed as you dictate. I installed dictation bridge, no change. It would be far better if NVDA would wait until the dictation was finnished, and then speak what was just dictated. Seems like dictation bridge does not support this new form of windows dictation. Could someone on the list please maybe fix this issue with an addon? thanks.

I tested out this new form of dictation, and even without training, it works very very good. so you can just dictate on the fly. also the narrator feature of describing any image or graphic works good, wish this also were implemented into NVDA.

Josh

--
sent with mozilla thunderbird

Dan Beaver

Wow!  Sounds good.

Maybe this could be handled by shutting NVDA up if the windows+h key is pressed.  Not sure how it would be turned back on once the dictation is done though.

Definitely sounds interesting though.

Dan Beaver

On 10/18/2017 10:32 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

[...]

David Moore

Hi Josh!

Thanks!

I love this dictation on the fly as well. I just turn off the speech of NVDA, by pressing:

NVDA+S, I dictate, and I just press the NVDA+S again to turn the speech back on!

This is very exciting, and I do love the feature in Narrator to describe an image. I have wanted that feature in NVDA as well.

I love 1709, and it is so much snappier in Edge using NVDA!

Have a great one!

sSent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Hareth <hareth4m@...>

Josh, I don't think any addon needed for that, simply press NVDA plus
s to toggle speech mode on and off.
That should help for timefor NVDA devs or win10 app addon create a fix for that.
Best

On 10/18/17, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

I have a feeling both of these items are ports over from the cloud services often encountered in smart phones, certainly I believe the seeing AI app available in the US uses the read text part that you describe here. I personally feel that as there has been a history of Microsoft changing such things when they first appear it might be prudent to wait for it to be stable. I'm not totally sure if this sort of service will r3emain free either.
as for nvda not saying anything till its finished. This would need somebody to find out how the program indicates start and end of dictation or how would it know when to fall back to normal?

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-