Topics

Sumatra PDF Reader, was: Re: [nvda] The In-Process "Choose-your-own-adventure" edition of In-Process!

Quentin Christensen

Hi Zahra,

Thank you, I'm glad you liked the post!

There are a few PDF readers around, but for some reason many are inaccessible.  Does Sumatra do many things that Adobe Reader doesn't do?

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 1:47 PM, zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
hi quentin, your post was great!
can you contact developers of sumatra pdf reader and help them to make
there program accessible for screen reader users?
Allah bless you and his infinite mercy i pray for you every day.

> Here's a fun Thursday read, it's the NV Access "Choose-your-own-adventure"
> edition of In-Process! Giants, Caves, mountains and even BACON!
> https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-choose-your-own-adventure-edition/
>
> I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together!
>
> Regards
>
> Quentin.
>
> --
> Quentin Christensen
> Training and Support Manager
>
> Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available:
> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>
> www.nvaccess.org
> Twitter: @NVAccess

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

hi.
yes, i realy dont trust adobe products and never use them!
sumatra is the best program, most simple, without complex settings,
less than 5 mb, translated to many languages, very simple and fast.
i realy only accept this program and there is no alternative program
for sumatra in world of technology!
i realy wish that when sumatra supports accessibility, continues to
support xp too!
Allah bless you and i sincerely always appreciate your kindness.

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 1:47 PM, zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

One of the basic problems in my view is that even when used, most people making pdfs never tag them for reading order when it changes its number of columns or reorders pages to print order.
Others admit to me that they just use a printer driver that makes pdfs from the printer output, and hence they have no control at all. I do use the pdf reader from webbie, but that only allows text content to be read assuming everything is the same all through the file.

PDFs are a known bad practice aspect here in the UK and I notice that were organisations are clued in they normally make word 97 doc versions available as well, though even those if the author uses text boxes and hideously large tables can be awful to read for us.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

I have a feeling that they won't support xp, and indeed now don't support amd either I gather on xp.
The issues are much the same as why nvda had to drop them. they need to make the best code and that means using the core of windows that the tools they build the software with uses, normally those in currently supported versions of windows.

[...]

David Mehler

Hello,

I was not aware Sumatra pdf was accessible. What screen readers does
it work with and are there any settings in t he screen reader or the
Sumatra to set for greater accessibility.

I'd love to dump adobe acrobat reader network wide!

Thanks.
Dave.

[...]

hello.
i request nvda developers to do something for accessibility of sumatra
with cooperation of sumatra programmers.
sumatra is the best program for pdf in the world, but unfortunately
only its menu and settings now accessible!
God bless you!

wrote:

[...]

indeed, imam husayn is the beacon of guidance and the ark of
salvation.
www.al-islam.org

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Mallard

When I contacted the devs of Sumatra pdf, they clearly stated that they don't know anything about accessibility, and wouldn't be willing to put any time and effort into it. Being an open source programme, they said, if anyone wants to take up the task, let them do so. But not they themselvles.

The situation is pretty much the same as with Calibre Viewer, or Calibre in general.

When you open a file with Sumatra, the text is only shown as an image, and is not extracted to let a screen rader access it.

I solve the problem now with Windows10 OCR, but that only shows one screen at a time, of course.

It's a pity that devs are so narrow-minded, and unwilling to help (the devs of Telegram are another shining example...).

I doubt it that NVDA can do anything about this issue with Sumatra and Calibre though.

Ciao,

Ollie

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I have had similar issues in the past with Superantispyware, where the issues ar, by comparison, quite minor as the revolve around getting screenreaders to get the correct focus in each case and in one case making a list accessible.
I gave up some time back.
Also of course the new Revo is a disaster.
In a perfect world programmers and programming tools should make sure the basics are there and hence its not going to be so big a job to do it later on.
I'd like to see Microsoft have some kind of internal check and will not allow a program to run if its not using the apis, but hat would be utopia!

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I agree. I'd like to see the same thing in Android...

Ciao,

Ollie

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mallard" <mallard@kimabe.eu>

wrote:

[...]

i remember to one time tried to contact developers of sumatra, but could not.
i think i said my request somewhere but did not recieve any help or reply.
i realy wish that know whats the reason for inaccessibility of program?
is it realy very difficult to consider accessibility?

wrote:

[...]

I don't think it even crosses many programmers mind. They see what is on the screen and that is it. As has been said, the program you mention does not even render the pages as text, it converts them to graphics and so to make it accessible it would need a complete rewrite.
To my mind on the pdf front, people who write pdf creation software should build in to their programs simple to undersstand ways to tag the reading order of text when it changes the number of columns etc, Then we could all use Adobe reader and it would just work. After the event is just not acceptable and to me at least, just making things worse for everyone.