Eloquence&Vocalizer Gives NVDA A Real Screen Reader Feel To Me

James Robinson

Hello!

I recently purchased the CodeFactory Eloquence&Vocalizer Voices for NVDA and
installed them on my main computer. These synthesize voices really make
NVDA sound and feel like a real Screen Reader to me. I really had a tough
time listening to the InHouse voices that are shipped with NVDA and longed
for better voices for it. I do wish there was a way for NVDA to License
these voices for all of the copies of NVDA downloaded and installed and I
wish CodeFactory and NVDA could bring this agreement about, but I realize I
may be dreaming though. I feel Code Factory could make the number of
machines and the number of installations of the software limitless. Now I
will be able to use NVDA more. Take care and have a good day.

Oh By The Way: What is the direct download link for the Skype Talking for
NVDA AddOn. I clicked on the link at the bottom of NVDA@NVDA.Groups.io
email, but it said "File could not be found." I believe Dug Lee has NVDA
scripts for skype but I am not sure. If so, do let me know about them or
the NVDA Skype scripts.
James Robinson

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think its all down to the fact that for nvda to stay free there has to be a version which does not include commercial software in it.
Not everyone likes those voices, indeed I don't, but like Quincy in Espeak, but that is because I'm UK English and to me it sounds fine.

There are other free voices and synths about of course, and as you say, paid for ones, but really, you cannot force a company to give their software away.
There are voices that may suit better, but not for everyone.
I am not a fan of the default Espeak voice, I feel its too brash, but is probably a compromise for all sorts of different languages.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Blee Blat <bleeblat@...>

And then there is me. I don't like any of the available voices, because they're all too human sounding and speak too slowly. I liked the DoubleTalk voices, or maybe the Accent or Artic voices, but none of those are supported any longer. I put up with synthesized speech because braille support is never well-tested on most platforms, and the braille displays I end up buying always end up being discontinued and it seems you can't get a simple braille terminal any more. You have to have one of these crappy note taker things, but my phone has better specs than these devices. So screen reading technology is currently sucking. And if it was unclear by "simple braille terminal" I mean just a display that sits under a laptop or keyboard that just outputs braille from the computer. I type too fast for the regular cheap plastic keyboards to keep up so braille input would lag too much to be useful. I just want a simple dumb braille display that outputs braille and does nothing else. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear, and yes if I get working braille again I'll test all the screen readers I can and fix them if they work badly if I'm allowed to do that.

Gene

Eloquence is not one of the too human sounding voices and it speaks very quickly.  I think it can speak as fast as 700 words per minute or faster.  I consider its clarity of speech to be superior to most synthesizers.  It may be that some of the newer ones, available in the last number of years, do very well at fast speeds as well.  But most synthesizers of the newer variety, that use bits of real human voices are quite poor and even more so at fast speeds.

[...]

Yes, this is true, all the newer synths are very poor. Eloquence is a bit too human sounding, but you're right I'd put up with it because it does speak fast. The trouble is that it's old code and I'm not sure it's going to continue to be supported, plus I'd have to get a license for Android and Windows I'm guessing, and possibly the Linux versions. I'd only do that though if it wasn't going to drag down performance of the devices running old buggy code. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the actual code that is eloquence hasn't been modified since 1999 or so, so you're paying for someone to keep packaging old compatibility libraries which will eventually stop working.

Gene

I don't know if or when it may stop working.  It still works in Windows 10.  I don't know what changes in Windows might cause it to stop working in the future, but I wouldn't be very convinced that it will stop working.  It may not be worth whatever you would have to pay, but if its worked this long in as many versions of Windows as it has, I expect it will keep on working.

Yes, this is true, all the newer synths are very poor. Eloquence is a
bit too human sounding, but you're right I'd put up with it because it
does speak fast. The trouble is that it's old code and I'm not sure it's
going to continue to be supported, plus I'd have to get a license for
Android and Windows I'm guessing, and possibly the Linux versions. I'd
only do that though if it wasn't going to drag down performance of the
devices running old buggy code. Unless I'm misunderstanding something,
the actual code that is eloquence hasn't been modified since 1999 or so,
so you're paying for someone to keep packaging old compatibility
libraries which will eventually stop working.

Blee Blat <bleeblat@...>

What would make it stop working would be the removing of old compatibility code from C libraries, or removing 32-bit libraries. Both of those are likely to happen in the near future. They may have updated the code, I'm not sure, because their website doesn't say.

Gene

We'll see what happens.  If this is done, I suspect we'll hear a lot of complaints because a lot of people still use Eloquence either as a part of JAWS or as a purchased product with NVDA.  It must not have happened yet.

Gene

What would make it stop working would be the removing of old
compatibility code from C libraries, or removing 32-bit libraries. Both
of those are likely to happen in the near future. They may have updated
the code, I'm not sure, because their website doesn't say.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

This just proves the point about the fact everyone is different. There is no one true and right way.