From: Blee Blat
Sent: 21 October 2017 22:15
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Eloquence&Vocalizer Gives NVDA A Real Screen Reader FeelToMe

OK, well it's good they're updating the code then. I'll check out the

free trial and see what it does. It's kind of silly that they charge

that much for voices, but if it works, it's probably worth it. The speed

boost and maybe some extra responsiveness might help, I'm not sure. I

got a lot of pops and crackles with the older voices years ago when I

used them, but if they're updating the code that's at least encouraging.

Blee Blat <bleeblat@...>

Yes, I've done that I think. Windows 10 doesn't have a disable all enhancements checkbox for playback, so I'm not sure if I've disabled them fully or not, I've disabled the realtek services from running at startup, but I'm not sure if that has other issues. I'll probably have to get another sound card for this laptop anyway, because it seems that they're doing really silly things like having all these DTS codecs and junk built into drivers now. Sound enhancements are an abomination, they just destroy your music  and so everyone should turn them off. I don't know what the purpose of a system wide equalizer is. The only people that might possibly need these are people with specific hearing loss possibly, but I would let those people speak for themselves. It shouldn't be enabled by default, for sure.

Gene

If you use the code factory add on that provides both Eloquence for NVDA and another synthesizer, I don't remember what it is but, despite its popularity, I consider it a very poor synthesizer, Eloquence has a lot of artifacts when I tested the add on and I am not using any enhancements in audio.  I tested it on XP but I saw many complaints about artifacts from others using other versions of Windows.  I don't recall if turning off enhancements solved the problem for anyone using the add on.  Trying the demo would be in order if you want to use the add on.

The HTML5 version didn't produce any artifacts when I tested it.  I'm not sure what is being discussed now, the addon or the HTML5 version.  If artifacts are heard in the HTML5 version, enhancements may be the problem.  I would say to try the demo or both demos if desired to see how they both work on the machine under whatever conditions you want to test.

I don't know which, the HTML5 or the addon, is more responsive nor do I know the price for either.  Whatever the price that was cited for Eloquence during this thread, was that definitely for the HTML5 version or was it for the addon which gives you two synthesizers.

Gene----- Original Message -----

Yes, I've done that I think. Windows 10 doesn't have a disable all
enhancements checkbox for playback, so I'm not sure if I've disabled
them fully or not, I've disabled the realtek services from running at
startup, but I'm not sure if that has other issues. I'll probably have
to get another sound card for this laptop anyway, because it seems that
they're doing really silly things like having all these DTS codecs and
junk built into drivers now. Sound enhancements are an abomination, they
just destroy your music  and so everyone should turn them off. I don't
know what the purpose of a system wide equalizer is. The only people
that might possibly need these are people with specific hearing loss
possibly, but I would let those people speak for themselves. It
shouldn't be enabled by default, for sure.

John Isige

There's a version of Eloquence written in HTML?

Gene

No, I used the wrong term.  I should have said SAPI 5.  I was confusing SAPI 5 with HTML5 because they are both associated with audio.

Gene
There's a version of Eloquence written in HTML?

Blee Blat <bleeblat@...>

Is there a way to be sure you have audio enhancements disabled? I'm not sure if  disabling the realtek startup stuff was enough to do it, but it seems that it is. Now I just get a tiny crackle during the NVDA startup sound, but I think that seems to be something wrong with this driver since if I change the sample rate to the default 48k instead of the CD audio setting, the crackle disappears, but having all the music resampled is undesirable as well, because it squishes the low to mid range frequencies a bit and seems to compress the sound dynamically as well, so I'll have to look for a better card. I don't care if speech gets messed with a little bit sonically as long as its responsive, but screwing with music is not at all useful.

John Isige

Ah, gotcha. It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see somebody try to
write a synth in html or such, so I figured I'd ask.