Firefox Quantum. ver 57 are we ready?

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi guys

I just had a email off another list to do with another screen reader to do with the new fire fox coming out next month the one stated in the subject line. Are we alright to go with it as of yet? or will we be aright with it in the next release of NVDA 2017.4 or the version after that.

I have not got that version on this system so do not know how well it works with it. From what i have been reading is more to do with multii thread machines.

And older machines will slow the right down as in searching for pages etc.

It looks also the free upgrade to windows 10 from 7,8 and 8.1 ends at the end of this year.

So if you are able to upgrade from those operating system either upgrade or after that date if you want to go to windows 10 you will have to pay.

There is also some other accessibility stuff that might be of interest to windows 10 creator update. For more info see the following link at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/10/17/windows-10-accessibility-update/

Once i know also about the new browser and when we are able to go i will put it back across the list in atig in new zealand.

Gene nz

The free upgrade won't be available after a time, I think it's a few months from now.  but you don't have to upgrade and remain upgraded.  You can upgrade and then go back to whatever you are using now.  Then, since you have upgraded, you can upgrade again later if you wish.  I don't know the details of how you upgrade again and from what I've read, if you upgrade and then downgrade, you have to do some things to get everything back as it was.  Just because the free upgrade is going away, that doesn't mean you have to do anything.  How old is your machine?  How likely is it that it will still be working when support ends for whatever version of Windows you are running now?  How old are your peripherals such as printer and scanner?  Are there Windows 10 drivers for them?  The free upgrade might not be so free.

Is there anything in Windows 10 you want?

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM
Subject: [nvda] Firefox Quantum. ver 57 are we ready?

[...]

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

There will be problems using ScreenReders with the Firefox Quantum due to be released on November 14th.  It is advised that the ESR version of Firefox should be installed and your current personal Firefox version be uninstalled to prevent it from automatically updating to the latest but broken Firefox Quantum, as far as ScreenReader usability goes.  Go here to download FireFox ESR to maintain ScreenReader usability as this version won't be updated until June of next year, by which time, it is hoped that the personal edition of Firefox and ScreenReader usability will be resolved.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

Plese press T to find the table of available languages, plus Operating Systems,  and arrow down to the appropriate language and OS of your choice.  Unfortunately, the navigation of this table is not made any easier due to the lack of hadings, but patiently scroll down with your arrow key and you should find what you need.  Cheers!

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I thought 57 was supposed to solve accessibility issues--not create more.  Back when 56 was released, some people were talking about an issue where the place was not kept when moving back and forth between web pages and/or tabs.  On another list, I saw that this was to be fixed in version 57.  Now what's all this stuff about a totally new design that breaks screen accessibility?

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM

[...]

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

Hi again Group,

I noticed that this is Firefox 52--a full 5 versions behind the 57 version due to be released in November.  Is this at all safe?

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM

[...]

Robert Mendoza

Just let to wait until it is release in November, then let see what it goes

Robert Mendoza

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM

[...]

Hi everyone,

I’m about to install 57 beta on one of my computers to find out what’s up. I should have something to report by Friday at the earliest.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM

[...]

It's the ESR, extended release version.  it receives security updates for two years after its release.  At that time, another extended release version is released.  the purpose is for businesses and organizations that use firefox in their networks and need a stable, unchanging version for long periods.

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM

[...]

I thought that was only for jaws users? as where the message came into my inbox referred to it.

That was why i was asking the question. I just downloaded the beta version on this machine but is a quad core and will also try it on a duel core to see how well or not nvda goes with it. I am guessing our developers might be ahead with the work on it.

I will also sus out the link as well.

Gene nz

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM

[...]

Hi.  It's not easy to explainthis without avoiding technecal issues. Suffice it to say that the Mozilla web engine is undergoing a change.  In the past, it is mozilla that is issuing all the information to Screenreaders.  Now with the new browser, it is up to the Screenreader to extract the information from the browser through a user interface.  Complicated but so it goes with new technology.  Cheers!

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM

[...]

This version is written for organizations and institutions.  It is safe.

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM

[...]

It affects NVDA too.  Cheers!

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

I just downloaded the ESR version of firefox.

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well when I asked over a month back nobody knew what I was talking about, so I'm staying on 455 till I see which way the wind blows. Unless otherwise persuaded even though I have a 64 bit machine I have in the past been burned by the 64 bit version of FF, so I am using the 32 bit one very reliably, until they brought out 56, when I had to disable the sidebar to get focus on the page all the time. I reported this bug but they did not fix it in 56, instead fixing it in the 57 pre release versions which I've not tried.
For those who do know what is going on, a little bit more info here would be nice, like can we be sure if we download 57, that we can keep it 32 bi5t and that the weird bugs with some web controls will be fixed, and vital add ons like system sounds and ad blockers will still work.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Its fine but I'm using 55 and have turned off updates. if they have messed it up in 57, they need to create a new maintained branch I would imagine so that anyone who relies on Firefox is protected against losing the ability to use it and its current add on systems.
[...]

material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where
you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can
use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To
find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit
(Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert
near you, please visit the following link
https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains
the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the
world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That can only work properly if the people writing than accessibility api actually do all the things needed to reveal the data we need. I have not got much confidence in this approach. Why do we need yet another api? Are there not enough already, look at what happened with Edge and these universal apps. These people seem to think with their arses sometimes. What ever happened to if it is not broken don't fix it?

[...]

That should have said my 55, where the 4 came from is unknown!
[...]

It does seem that while usefull there is a hole in old access systems.

We are just not there yet, but we are almost there.

Most of windows is uia, and why firefox is slow is its probably in transition to the new system.

I do hope that system eventually exists but well.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@roadrunner.com>

[...]

You didn't say you had problems with version 52, the version being used in the ESR version.  It is dangerous to use old browsers and 45 is getting older every day and is already ten or eleven versions old.  How old is that, about two years?

If you try the ESR version as a portable application, you can see if it works and still have 45 installed.

Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:27 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> I just had a email off another list to do with another screen reader to do
> with the new fire fox coming out next month the one stated in the subject
> line. Are we alright to go with it as of yet? or will we be aright with it
> in the next release of NVDA 2017.4 or the version after that.
>

> I have not got that version on this system so do not know how well it
> works with it. From what i have been reading is more to do with multii
> thread machines.
>

> And older machines will slow the right down as in searching for pages etc.
>

> It looks also the free upgrade to windows 10 from 7,8 and 8.1 ends at the
> end of this year.
>

> So if you are able to upgrade from those operating system either upgrade
> or after that date if you want to go to windows 10 you will have to pay.
>

> There is also some other accessibility stuff that might be of interest to
> windows 10 creator update. For more info see the following link at
> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/10/17/windows-10-accessibility-update/
>
> Once i know also about the new browser and when we are able to go i will
> put it back across the list in atig in new zealand.
>

> Gene nz
>

> --
> [Image NVDA          certified expert]
> Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related
> material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you
> are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a
> copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out
> which locations (or location) is near to you please visit
> http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
> People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you,
> please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
> certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified
> individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed
> the NVDA expert exam.

Matt Turner

Hi, yes I've played with it, but its very slow with NVDA.

Here's the blog post if that helps.

http://blog.freedomscientific.com/2017/10/25/important-information-for-users-of-mozilla-firefox/