Windows 10 Lock Screen Tip - Prevent NVDA From Saying Ratio While Reading The Time

Laughing Thunder

NOTE: The following instructions assume that you are comfortable with making technical modifications to NVDA's configuration. If you are not comfortable with these types of changes, do not attempt these steps.

I was experimenting with NVDA's speech dictionaries yesterday, and stumbled upon a way to stop NVDA from saying the word "ratio" when reading the time on my Windows 10 lock screen. Here's what I did.

1. Paste the following line into a new notepad window.

∶    :    0    0

2. Save the file on the desktop as default.dic.

3. Copy the file to C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA\systemConfig\speechDicts.

4. NVDA no longer says ratio when reading the time on the Windows 10 lock screen.

Thought some of you may find this tip useful.

Gene

Your instructions appear to replace the default dictionary in NVDA. Is that the case?

Gene
NOTE: The following instructions assume that you are comfortable with
making technical modifications to NVDA's configuration. If you are not
comfortable with these types of changes, do not attempt these steps.

I was experimenting with NVDA's speech dictionaries yesterday, and
stumbled upon a way to stop NVDA from saying the word "ratio" when
reading the time on my Windows 10 lock screen. Here's what I did.

1. Paste the following line into a new notepad window.

∶    :    0    0

2. Save the file on the desktop as default.dic.

3. Copy the file to C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA\systemConfig\speechDicts.

4. NVDA no longer says ratio when reading the time on the Windows 10
lock screen.

Thought some of you may find this tip useful.

Laughing Thunder

No. The default dictionary is the file located at C:\Program Files (x86)\nvda\builtin.dic, which should not be modified. In the case of my instructions, the word "default" in the file name simply refers to the dictionary that will be used by all synthesizers installed in the configuration used on the logon screen and other secure screens.

On 10/29/2017 10:34 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi

Surely NVDA  will only use this default.dic file if there is no synth specific .dic file  available for the synth you have configured for use with the log-on/secure screens.  I.E if you have a synth specific .dic file in your user settings and elected to copy over your own settings using the facility in the General settings dialog.

Cheers

Chris

NOTE: The following instructions assume that you are comfortable with
making technical modifications to NVDA's configuration. If you are not
comfortable with these types of changes, do not attempt these steps.

I was experimenting with NVDA's speech dictionaries yesterday, and
stumbled upon a way to stop NVDA from saying the word "ratio" when
reading the time on my Windows 10 lock screen. Here's what I did.

1. Paste the following line into a new notepad window.

    :    0    0

2. Save the file on the desktop as default.dic.

3. Copy the file to C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA\systemConfig\speechDicts.

4. NVDA no longer says ratio when reading the time on the Windows 10
lock screen.

Thought some of you may find this tip useful.

Laughing Thunder

Yes. If you have a synth-specific dictionary, place the line I provided at the end of it instead.

On 10/29/2017 6:59 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Sappi 5 and speech platform are notorious for odd abreviations expansion. One of the most annoying is that in the uk a post code say, KT3 8NY is said as 8 New York.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

NOTE: The following instructions assume that you are comfortable with
making technical modifications to NVDA's configuration. If you are
not
comfortable with these types of changes, do not attempt these steps.

I was experimenting with NVDA's speech dictionaries yesterday, and
stumbled upon a way to stop NVDA from saying the word "ratio" when
reading the time on my Windows 10 lock screen. Here's what I did.

1. Paste the following line into a new notepad window.

∶ : 0 0

2. Save the file on the desktop as default.dic.

3. Copy the file to C:\Program Files
(x86)\NVDA\systemConfig\speechDicts.

4. NVDA no longer says ratio when reading the time on the Windows 10
lock screen.

Thought some of you may find this tip useful.

Chris

Hmm, really? Hazel doent do that, nor does xeara