no numpad

Ame

Hi!

A friend just got a new laptop.  It’s an HP slim line.  It’s a windows 10.  She installed NVDA on the machine and nobody can find the numlock key.  She had her mother look and it doesn’t have one.  Apparently some don’t have the numpad or the numlock.  Very different.  I’ve never  heard of or seen a keyboard without the numpad and the numlock.  So, here’s the question:  What do you use for the NVDA key?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

John Isige

You use the laptop keyboard layout.

On 10/31/2017 15:52, Ame wrote:

Hi!

A friend just got a new laptop.  It’s an HP slim line.  It’s a windows
10.  She installed NVDA on the machine and nobody can find the numlock
key.  She had her mother look and it doesn’t have one.  Apparently
some don’t have the numpad or the numlock.  Very different.  I’ve
never  heard of or seen a keyboard without the numpad and the
numlock.  So, here’s the question:  What do you use for the NVDA key?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Roger Stewart

You could also think of getting a USB keyboard. Maybe not as elegant as using the built in keyboard, but you'll have a numpad!

Roger

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 02:37 pm, John Isige wrote:
You use the laptop keyboard layout.
Yep, and Caps Lock becomes the NVDA Key (and a couple of actual key sequences change, but not many).

I haven't seen anything that's not a netbook that doesn't have a full size keyboard with a number pad in a very long time.   That being said, I won't buy a laptop with anything less than a 15" screen, which allows ample room for a full size keyboard.   I'm sure the 13" and 10.1" models have dropped it completely or else you would have something more akin to a thumb board on the old slider phones than a keyboard meant to be used with the fingers on both hands.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

            Niels Bohr

Gene

I don't like the laptop layout.  There is a key that can be used as an NVDA key whichever layout you use that has nothing to do with the layout.  Whether you use the desktop or laptop layout, if you tab around the keyboard settings dialog, there is a check box to use the caps lock key as an NVDA key.  If you check that check box, you can use the caps lock or the insert or the numpad insert keys.  In other words, it gives you one more key you can use and you can still use the others.

Since I don't like the laptop layout, I'd very likely purchase a USB numpad and use the desktop layout with the USB numpad.  then, I'd use whichever NVDA key I would want.

> A friend just got a new laptop.  It’s an HP slim line.  It’s a windows
> 10.  She installed NVDA on the machine and nobody can find the numlock
> key.  She had her mother look and it doesn’t have one.  Apparently
> some don’t have the numpad or the numlock.  Very different.  I’ve
> never  heard of or seen a keyboard without the numpad and the
> numlock.  So, here’s the question:  What do you use for the NVDA key?
>
> Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Chris Mullins

Your friend should be able to access the NVDA menu via the system tray and in the Preferences/Keyboard settings set the Caps lock and Extended insert key as NVDA modifier keys.

Cheers

Chris

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 03:35 pm, Gene wrote:
Since I don't like the laptop layout, I'd very likely purchase a USB numpad and use the desktop layout with the USB numpad.
As would I, if the laptop is intended to be used as a substitute for a desktop, that is, it's not meant to be used "on the go."  If that's the case, I'd even consider a full external keyboard that includes a number pad.

If the thing is to be used in a wide variety of settings it's always better to learn how to use it with the native hardware that's "grab n' go".

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

            Niels Bohr

Quentin Christensen

It's quite likely the machine has SOME kind of insert key - A full size PC keyboard has the Insert / 0 on the number pad as well as the insert key near delete, home, end, page up and page down above the arrow keys.  Most laptops I've seen at least have insert and delete, often up in the top right.  You can set NVDA to use caps lock as an NVDA modifier key as others have said, and note that you can do this in desktop layout as well.  Note that you really want to have a number pad when using desktop layout and it needs to have numlock off.

To access the NVDA menu from the system tray without the NVDA key if you need:

1. Press WINDOWS+B to move the focus to the system tray.
2. Press the right arrow until you get to the NVDA icon.
3. Press enter to open the menu.
4. Press P to go into Preferences
5. Press K to go into keyboard options.

From here you can set the NVDA modifier key and also whether NVDA uses laptop or desktop layout.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 03:35 pm, Gene wrote:
Since I don't like the laptop layout, I'd very likely purchase a USB numpad and use the desktop layout with the USB numpad.
As would I, if the laptop is intended to be used as a substitute for a desktop, that is, it's not meant to be used "on the go."  If that's the case, I'd even consider a full external keyboard that includes a number pad.

If the thing is to be used in a wide variety of settings it's always better to learn how to use it with the native hardware that's "grab n' go".

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

            Niels Bohr

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account

Caps lock?
However it will be quite difficult if numlock is on when you use the fn key to use the keys as a numpad. Some ppeople say they do not miss the numpad, but when I get a laptop where I'm needing to use it the multi key presses give me hand ache.
Of course in the main if you use the laptop layout you will be fine but sometimes turning on numlock and using a keypatd for erm numbers can be much faster.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

A friend just got a new laptop. It’s an HP slim line. It’s a windows 10. She installed NVDA on the machine and nobody can find the numlock key. She had her mother look and it doesn’t have one. Apparently some don’t have the numpad or the numlock. Very different. I’ve never heard of or seen a keyboard without the numpad and the numlock. So, here’s the question: What do you use for the NVDA key?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

tina sohl <tinabir@...>

Can't you still buy a num pad? Maybe that would work.

On 10/31/2017 15:52, Ame wrote:
Hi!
A friend just got a new laptop. It’s an HP slim line. It’s a windows
10. She installed NVDA on the machine and nobody can find the numlock
key. She had her mother look and it doesn’t have one. Apparently
some don’t have the numpad or the numlock. Very different. I’ve
never heard of or seen a keyboard without the numpad and the
numlock. So, here’s the question: What do you use for the NVDA key?
Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Tony Ballou

Hi,

The insert key can be used as a modifier, or use the caps lock key, or better still get a USB or wireless keyboard for it.

Tony