NVDA, MS Office 2007 & Google Chrome

Philip Anderson

Hi All

I am new to this group and wish to thank you for kindly accepting my membership. I am very much looking forward to meeting you and hearing your NVDA experiences.

I am really enjoying using NVDA. It is a fabulous alternative to JAWS. However, I have a few questions and wondered if you can help.

Please forgive me in advance if I have included two many questions in one email. I’m thinking most of them might simply be a case of settings; he says holding his breath... J

Please advise if you would rather I created a separate thread for each question. Here goes...

Operating System: Windows 7 Home

MS Office 2007

Q1. Are there any NVDA add ons for MS Office 2007?

I have searched, but cannot seem to find any.

In addition, what's the best configuration settings for viewing MS office 2007 Outlook messages in table view, only I am finding response time terribly slow and crashes and programme closures frequent?

I have tried enabling 'tables' in 'settings' and selecting anything else seemingly likely to resolve the problem, but without joy.

Furthermore, I am presently encountering problems sending and replying to messages. I am having to launch the 'new message or 'reply' options twice before I can write anything that NVDA will read back to me in all edit fields from 'address, subject and body.'

* Attempt 1 merely keeps saying 'blank' whenever I type into the fields, then freezes and I am forced to exit and try again.

* Works perfectly second time round.

NVDA, Google Chrome & Ebay

Q3. Similarly, I am experiencing one or two issues revising my Ebay listings. While I am able to edit 'Product Title' and 'General Item Specifics', there seems to be compatibility issues when it comes to updating 'Price' & 'Quantities' in listings with multiple variations when 'drag and drop' is required. What do you recommend?

Q4. In Paypal, while I can generally find work arounds for most things, accessing the buttons in 'packing slips' is a problem.

A Packing slip is a consignment note businesses can print off and include in with their products they are sending out to their customers.

To access 'Packing Slips':

* first select 'Summary'

* arrow down to payments received

* select recipient and press enter

* search for 'print packing slip' and press enter.

Here you should see three buttons:

* Button 1 allows you to 'print the slip

* button 2, edit your personalised customer message

& * button 3, Done.

NVDA recognises and echos the associated text for these buttons, but simply refuses to display them as clickable options.

Finally...

Q5. What possibly could be the underlining reason why NVDA's general key stroke options  keeps malfunctioning on my machine, leaving me with delayed speech recognition and no means of restarting the programme using the standard shortcut option other than a 'hard system boot?'

Thank you in anticipation for your help in this regard.

Cordially

Philip

Quentin Christensen

Hi Phillip,

Firstly welcome!  I'll leave the others to those who use those sites more than I do, but I wanted to follow up about the options failing.  Could you please clarify, do you mean the general options screen, or the keystrokes screen?  And what exactly is happening?  Are you getting an error message?  NVDA should generate a log, if nothing else.  If you could send me that with more information, I'd be interested in taking a look.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!

I’m glad to hear that you like NVDA, Philip, but I’m sorry you have several problems with it.

I can’t answer most of your questions, but I can say that, as far as I know, there are no special add-ons for Microsoft Office. I use Office 2007 myself, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook: the latter crashes sometimes for me, but otherwise it works well, and the only view change I made in Outlook after installing it was to have the newest emails at the bottom which I prefer. I also found that disabling the reading of tables works better for me in emails, as the body of some emails comes up as tables and I don’t want to hear row and column numbers all the time while reading the text: that’s my choice, though, and you may feel differently about that.

I hope other people can answer your other questions!

Bye for now!

From Clare

[...]

Hello Clare

Thank you. I shall give your suggestion a go since I too dislike hearing line number announcements constantly.

It was the same as hearing ‘Clickable’ continually when browsing the web. Then I discovered through Document formatting how to disable this option. Phew

Take care and thank you once again.

Philip

!

[...]

Ian Robinson <ian228@...>

Hi Philip,

Navigating through a list of messages should be quicker if you turn off the Reading Pane.  Sorry I can’t tell you exactly how to do that as I haven’t used that version of Outlook before.

Oh, and I think you might have more chance of getting answers if you put each question in a separate email.

Regards.

Ian

[...]

Thank you, Ian; I shall take a look and see if I can’t locate it.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

What sort of spec does the machine have. Delays tend to be due to two things for me. One is slow or badly set up hardware, or secondly a laptop throttling the speed back and not going to fast speed fast enough. The thing is that often in the advanced power settings in windows, they tend to throttle back things and windows is notoriously bad aat realising it needs to speed up. At the expence of some battery life you can up the idle speed to over 50 percent and it improves things like echoing typing, scrolling down explorer lists etc. I'm afraid I do not know about Chrome as I do not use it. Most of my machines now have Firefox 55 or earlier on them.
Outlook seems to be causing a lot of people running all sorts of different versions erratic results on windows 7 and 10, and I don't use it either. Most tend to use Thuunderbird or pay for the old tweaked version of Outlook express and live mail if they can find it.

I'm still using Word 2002 and 2003 here with few problems, Both were notorious for random crashes, and this is still true, but at least it normally manages to save your work and offer to restore it!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

I understand that some find it crashes less with the view set as plain text not html, but then the links need to be cut and pasted instead of clicked.
I hat table views too, one company persists in sending us invoices in tables and it does my brain in, quite frankly!

[...]

Its a catch 22 though since we got these clickable items. You need to have a noise really, but its easy to miss that.
[...]

I would always turn off the previow pane in any email software as there is no real point in waiting for it to be displayed twice!
[...]

Yeah, a lot of things like the new skype has a lot of clickable repeated buttons.

I do think we have this adjusted with sound.

Ie if something is text and is clickable a single sound or sound group should be played, it then shouldn't matter how many times it says clickable as long as it can be clicked.

On 2/11/2017 4:55 a.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Its a catch 22 though since we got these clickable items. You need to have a noise really, but its easy to miss that.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip Anderson via Groups.Io" <philip.anderson4@...>

[...]

.

tina sohl <tinabir@...>

Someone was saying skype 8's a mess, what did they do with it?
[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi and welcome

I use Outlook 2007 and Windows 10 but I previously used it under Windows 7 Home.  For me, Outlook rarely crashes and I don’t have any of the symtoms you describe when using it, (in both 7 and 10) but I found that it will stop working if you attempt to access the status bar using the NVDA+End keystroke.  I use it in a basic stripped down way, switching off preview pane,navigation pane,  toolbars etc, basically just accessing the Inbox folder switching folders using Control+y as required.

As for the Ebay packing slip buttons, have you had a look at the Document formatting dialog, using NVDA+Control+d.  Just ensure you have all the options you require checked.

HTH

Chris

[...]

Well they got rid of the old interface, everything is a button, pages of clickable clickable the notification key menu doesn't read the settings don't read, nothing works its a mess.