Firefox 57 etc

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

With regard to this version of Firefox, and in addition to what Joseph posted about it. Here is what me acting as the average unaware updater found.
After installation only the menus work, no content on the page is readable, you cannot go into any browse or focus mode. You just here unknown.
Now there may well be some kind of setting that can be altered, I do not know, to achieve what he got, slow but functioning. I could not find any option for this. Not only that but it seemed to lose almost half of my bookmarks as well.

So unless they fix this on the release version anyone trying to use Firefox 57 when it comes out with the latest version of nvda, and I am up to date with the master branch here, will not be able to do so unless they know how to make it work.
If these people are employees then they will probably need the permission of an admin to reinstall a version like 55, and turn off auto updates. I have reinstalled 52 in actual fact and got my bookmarks back as well as functionality. To my mind the makers of Firefox at the current state of play should be able to see if screenreading software is on a machine in a similar way to Adobe reader or Jarte does, and prevent it from updating to an unworkable version.
I cannot understand why they have not done this.

Anyone care to comment?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Robert Mendoza

Hi, Brian

I have the same issue on the other machine, and that is the reason why I keep to shift instead to use the Firefox ESR version 52 but for now I will stick to this version because there is likely more stable in performance and never has a problem. And, once the issue has fix maybe I could go for to use and test it again.

Robert Mendoza

On 11/3/2017 6:00 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Yes I saw a message on the issues list from James, about some fixing for version 58, so maybe it will get resolved from the currently unusable state. Its new users of any screenreader I feel sorry for, especially where its a shared machine and the sighted member just lets firefox update.
There are a couple of other issues. It disabled both my add ons, navigational sounds and Ublock Origin ad blocker and even when I put the version 52 back on I had to re download both add ons and install them again. Not only that but nvda after the update could not read the screen of the add ons manager, I had to exit firefox completely and go back in again to see if they had installed correctly, I'm sure this was not the case prior to up and down dating the version I had, which was 55. How also does one set 52 to get security updates without letting it update to 57 as I see it wants to do till I set updates to no, ie not recommended.
[...]

David Griffith

I thought the whole point of the ESR version was that   it would not update to 57 until about June next year, when hopefully the accessibility issues will have improved. According to the FS Blog on this they say that people using ESR will however continue to get the latest security updates  installed into Firefox ESR but  will not be vulnerable to the main upgrade to 57 until next year.

David Griffith

.

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

> I have the same issue on the other machine, and that is the reason why I

> keep to shift instead to use the Firefox ESR version 52 but for now I will

> stick to this version because there is likely more stable in performance

> and never has a problem. And, once the issue has fix maybe I could go for

> to use and test it again.

> Robert Mendoza

> On 11/3/2017 6:00 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

>> With regard to this version of Firefox, and in addition to what Joseph

>> posted about it. Here is what me acting as the average unaware updater

>> found.

>> After installation only the menus work, no content on the page is

>> readable, you cannot go into any browse or focus mode. You just here

>> unknown.

>> Now there may well be some kind of setting that can be altered, I do not

>> know, to achieve what he got, slow but functioning. I could not find any

>> option for this. Not only that but it seemed to lose almost half of my

>> bookmarks as well.

>> So unless they fix this on the release version anyone trying to use

>> Firefox 57 when it comes out with the latest version of nvda, and I am up

>> to date with the master branch here, will not be able to do so unless

>> they know how to make it work.

>> If these people are employees then they will probably need the permission

>> of an admin to reinstall a version like 55, and turn off auto updates. I

>> have reinstalled 52 in actual fact and got my bookmarks back as well as

>> functionality. To my mind the makers of Firefox at the current state of

>> play should be able to see if screenreading software is on a machine in a

>> similar way to Adobe reader or Jarte does, and prevent it from updating

>> to an unworkable version.

>> I cannot understand why they have not done this.

>> Anyone care to comment?

>> Brian

>> bglists@...

>> Sent via blueyonder.

>> Please address personal email to:-

>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

>> in the display name field.

ntarasov29@...

Hello. I don't think it's worth installing Mozila 57 until she's fully available to NVDA.

Отправлено из Почты для Windows 10

> I have the same issue on the other machine, and that is the reason why I

> keep to shift instead to use the Firefox ESR version 52 but for now I will

> stick to this version because there is likely more stable in performance

> and never has a problem. And, once the issue has fix maybe I could go for

> to use and test it again.

> Robert Mendoza

> On 11/3/2017 6:00 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

>> With regard to this version of Firefox, and in addition to what Joseph

>> posted about it. Here is what me acting as the average unaware updater

>> found.

>> After installation only the menus work, no content on the page is

>> readable, you cannot go into any browse or focus mode. You just here

>> unknown.

>> Now there may well be some kind of setting that can be altered, I do not

>> know, to achieve what he got, slow but functioning. I could not find any

>> option for this. Not only that but it seemed to lose almost half of my

>> bookmarks as well.

>> So unless they fix this on the release version anyone trying to use

>> Firefox 57 when it comes out with the latest version of nvda, and I am up

>> to date with the master branch here, will not be able to do so unless

>> they know how to make it work.

>> If these people are employees then they will probably need the permission

>> of an admin to reinstall a version like 55, and turn off auto updates. I

>> have reinstalled 52 in actual fact and got my bookmarks back as well as

>> functionality. To my mind the makers of Firefox at the current state of

>> play should be able to see if screenreading software is on a machine in a

>> similar way to Adobe reader or Jarte does, and prevent it from updating

>> to an unworkable version.

>> I cannot understand why they have not done this.

>> Anyone care to comment?

>> Brian

>> bglists@...

>> Sent via blueyonder.

>> Please address personal email to:-

>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

>> in the display name field.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well, I have still some issues after the reinstall as I've said elsewhere. the add on manager shows the add ons as disabled now and I had to remove them and redownload and install them to get them to work and nvda stops reading the add on manager in the middle of this process so I had to restart firefox to see if the installation worked.
[...]

That is what I thought, but then I did a check for updates inside it it offered me version 56 which I declined.
[...]

Indeed, However I am critical of Mozillas handling of this. Its not often that the makers of Jaws put up a page about the pitfalls and also criticise a particular company for being unthinking about their policy toward the VI community.

Let us hope that somebody in the management at that organisation takes us more seriously, however I'm not holding my breath, and I'm not sure if jamie working for them will help much if the culture is going down the road toward making all software inaccessible to stop hacking. He is probably not the most tactful person in the world as indeed neither am I. I can now afford to grow old disgracefully. Age has its advantages as history does tend to repeat itself and we have all been here before, sadly.
[...]

Then it may be that downgrading to the ESR version incorrectly may cause problems, at least for some users.  You should avoid such problems by using the portable version which, as I said in earlier messages, I think is a better option anyway.

> I have the same issue on the other machine, and that is the reason why I
> keep to shift instead to use the Firefox ESR version 52 but for now I will
> stick to this version because there is likely more stable in performance
> and never has a problem. And, once the issue has fix maybe I could go for
> to use and test it again.
>

> Robert Mendoza
>
> On 11/3/2017 6:00 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>> With regard to this version of Firefox, and in addition to what Joseph
>> posted about it. Here is what me acting as the average unaware updater
>> found.
>> After installation only the menus work, no content on the page is
>> readable, you cannot go into any browse or focus mode. You just here
>> unknown.
>> Now there may well be some kind of setting that can be altered, I do not
>> know, to achieve what he got, slow but functioning. I could not find any
>> option for this. Not only that but it seemed to lose almost half of my
>> bookmarks as well.
>>
>> So unless they fix this on the release version anyone trying to use
>> Firefox 57 when it comes out with the latest version of nvda, and I am up
>> to date with the master branch here, will not be able to do so unless
>> they know how to make it work.
>> If these people are employees then they will probably need the permission
>> of an admin to reinstall a version like 55, and turn off auto updates. I
>> have reinstalled 52 in actual fact and got my bookmarks back as well as
>> functionality. To my mind the makers of Firefox at the current state of
>> play should be able to see if screenreading software is on a machine in a
>> similar way to Adobe reader or Jarte does, and prevent it from updating
>> to an unworkable version.
>> I cannot understand why they have not done this.
>>
>> Anyone care to comment?
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

Tony Ballou

Hi,

Another alternative to possibly ponder here, in recent months I've been
using sea monkey with NVDA and it works great.  For those who are not
aware, this is an online suite of programs from Mozilla, which combine
an HTML editor, web browser, and Email client. It is accessible with
NVDA has a myriad of keyboard shortcuts, and if you know Firefox and
Thunderbird, you've basically got the game won.  Just a thought.

Tony

On 11/3/2017 6:00 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

I was not sure how much that was still being developed. I seem to recall I had issues working out adblockers and sounds with it, does it allow these to be installed these days, and more to the point is it going to go down the same route browser wise as Firefox with the onver zealous use of high security methods.
[...]

Can you put add ons in the portable version?
[...]

P. Otter

hello, in the versions before it was possible but i don't know if it is possible for 57!
i think it is possible as before.
cheers
paul otter

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com>

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Griffith" <daj.griffith@gmail.com>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Mendoza" <lowvisiontek@gmail.com>
[...]

Yes.  If you already have add ons installed with the installed version, I don't know if the portable version sees them.  So before installing add ons, see if the portable version works with them already.

Gene

> I have the same issue on the other machine, and that is the reason why I
> keep to shift instead to use the Firefox ESR version 52 but for now I will
> stick to this version because there is likely more stable in performance
> and never has a problem. And, once the issue has fix maybe I could go for
> to use and test it again.
>

> Robert Mendoza
>
> On 11/3/2017 6:00 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>> With regard to this version of Firefox, and in addition to what Joseph
>> posted about it. Here is what me acting as the average unaware updater
>> found.
>> After installation only the menus work, no content on the page is
>> readable, you cannot go into any browse or focus mode. You just here
>> unknown.
>> Now there may well be some kind of setting that can be altered, I do not
>> know, to achieve what he got, slow but functioning. I could not find any
>> option for this. Not only that but it seemed to lose almost half of my
>> bookmarks as well.
>>
>> So unless they fix this on the release version anyone trying to use
>> Firefox 57 when it comes out with the latest version of nvda, and I am up
>> to date with the master branch here, will not be able to do so unless
>> they know how to make it work.
>> If these people are employees then they will probably need the permission
>> of an admin to reinstall a version like 55, and turn off auto updates. I
>> have reinstalled 52 in actual fact and got my bookmarks back as well as
>> functionality. To my mind the makers of Firefox at the current state of
>> play should be able to see if screenreading software is on a machine in a
>> similar way to Adobe reader or Jarte does, and prevent it from updating
>> to an unworkable version.
>> I cannot understand why they have not done this.
>>
>> Anyone care to comment?
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Tony,

I just tried to download seamonkey and got an error message saying 400 error not found. What could I be doing wrong?

Rosemarie

[...]

Hi again, Tony,

I just went on the site and they're fixing the problem for the new update. I'll try again later.

Rosemarie

[...]

John Isige

If you'd read all of the stuff in Freedom Scientific's post, you would
have seen this link.

https://www.marcozehe.de/2017/09/29/rethinking-web-accessibility-on-windows/

Code injection is a horrible idea from a security standpoint and also a
coding one. It was something that was necessary back in the day, but
probably isn't anymore. So that was a change that probably should have
happened long before now anyway. It makes sense as a change and it was
going to cause this issue whenever it happened. Not only do we have
several accessible browsers to choose from, we have an accessible
version of the one with the problem and one assumes work will be done to
make the current version accessible. Seriously, do you people do
anything other than bitch about stuff? I'm beginning to wonder. I get
that the transition is annoying, sure. but some times there are actually
good reasons to change things, however annoying the transition happens
to be, and honestly, this one isn't all that bad in the grand scheme of
things.

----- Original Message ----- From: "никита тарасов"
<ntarasov29@gmail.com>
[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi John,

Besides all that rhetoric, Mozilla has set the 'disable all accessibility features' item to unchecked by default.  As long as you don't turn it on by accident, there shouldn't be any problem. I don't know what the chance of you getting infected or hacked by something is when this item is turned off, but I would imagine it isn't very high because I don't see any greater number of blind people getting hacked proportionately than sighted folks.  Still there is an issue with security now of days and it probably won't get any better for years.  Some people have already tested 57 with screen readers and were careful not to check the box and things seem reasonably good.

On 11/4/2017 6:08 PM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Tony Ballou

Hi rose Marie,

 Interesting,  if you're not able to grab it, I have a copy that I can
drop box you.

Tony

[...]

Thanks. I'd love it.