Installing NVDA and disabling some sort of security setting

Mary Otten <motten53@...>

Recently, I saw a message that talked about the need to disable some sort of security settings in windows 10 when you were installing NVDA. It was a folder I think that you couldn’t get access to and less you disable the setting, and NVDA needs to have that access when it installs. I’ve just spent some time looking through old messages trying to find this and I can’t. Can anybody help me out? I’m sorry to be so vague, but I just can’t find this message.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Tyler Spivey

Controlled Folder Access. I think it's off by default.

On 11/3/2017 3:40 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
Recently, I saw a message that talked about the need to disable some sort of security settings in windows 10 when you were installing NVDA. It was a folder I think that you couldn’t get access to and less you disable the setting, and NVDA needs to have that access when it installs. I’ve just spent some time looking through old messages trying to find this and I can’t. Can anybody help me out? I’m sorry to be so vague, but I just can’t find this message.
Mary
Sent from my iPhone

Gene

I suspect it is off by default.  If not, we should have seen lots of people reporting problems since Windows 10 started to be distributed.

Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 7:32 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Installing NVDA and disabling some sort of security setting

Controlled Folder Access. I think it's off by default.
On 11/3/2017 3:40 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
> Recently, I saw a message that talked about the need to disable some sort of security settings in windows 10 when you were installing NVDA. It was a folder I think that you couldn’t get access to and less you disable the setting, and NVDA needs to have that access when it installs. I’ve just spent some time looking through old messages trying to find this and I can’t. Can anybody help me out? I’m sorry to be so vague, but I just can’t find this message.
> Mary
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

you are not talking about the UAC screen that comes up when you go to install a copy of NVDA onto a machine? if this does come up use the ALT key + letter Y to say yes to it or just tab to it. then NVDA will finish installing.

Unless a anti virus program does it? then you would have to look in that virus program and make it a exception

Gene nz

.

On 11/4/2017 11:40 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
Recently, I saw a message that talked about the need to disable some sort of security settings in windows 10 when you were installing NVDA. It was a folder I think that you couldn’t get access to and less you disable the setting, and NVDA needs to have that access when it installs. I’ve just spent some time looking through old messages trying to find this and I can’t. Can anybody help me out? I’m sorry to be so vague, but I just can’t find this message.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

John Isige

No, there's a new thing in the latest Windows 10. I think I still have
the message somewhere or other. It prevents the installer from making a
desktop shortcut and it might give an error or something, but apparently
NVDA runs just fine once it's done, other than not having the desktop
shortcut.

--
Image NVDA certified expert
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where

Brian's Mail list account

That is a bit vague. If you are using an admin account on windows 10, I don't recall any issues unless they have introduced something in the recent updates that I'm unaware of.
Certainly I was quite disappointed that the portable version of nvda was significantly less useful on windows 10 due to its more extensive use of UIA than its forebears, like 7.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Recently, I saw a message that talked about the need to disable some sort of security settings in windows 10 when you were installing NVDA. It was a folder I think that you couldn’t get access to and less you disable the setting, and NVDA needs to have that access when it installs. I’ve just spent some time looking through old messages trying to find this and I can’t. Can anybody help me out? I’m sorry to be so vague, but I just can’t find this message.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Brian's Mail list account

You only encounter this normally in a company machine with a paranoid IT manager! grin.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Controlled Folder Access. I think it's off by default.
On 11/3/2017 3:40 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
Recently, I saw a message that talked about the need to disable some sort of security settings in windows 10 when you were installing NVDA. It was a folder I think that you couldn’t get access to and less you disable the setting, and NVDA needs to have that access when it installs. I’ve just spent some time looking through old messages trying to find this and I can’t. Can anybody help me out? I’m sorry to be so vague, but I just can’t find this message.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Brian's Mail list account

There is a ticket for it being worked on in Github, as I saw it while looking for something else.
[...]

Yes but don't you have to actually turn this folder function on. I think its designed to keep control of the desktop Many people with sight often clutter the desktop with all sorts of junk and an admin can now make that particular folder or any other, banned to be changed by anyone else. Its actually a good idea I suppose but then I like having a cluttered desktop!

[...]

Chris

Are you talking about the "continue as administrator" dialog?
if so and you are using a standard account then you are going to encounter problems
but if you are using a admin account then you should'nt get this dialog
or if you do you get the continue as administrator dialog
well thats my interpretation of whats happening here

Mary Otten <motten53@...>

Hi John,
Yes, you are talking about the same thing I am. I happen to like desktop shortcuts, so I would really like to find out what it is so it can be turned off when NVDA and other things that could make shortcuts are installed. So if you happen to find the message or remember what it’s called, please detail. Thank you in advance.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 4, 2017, at 12:00 AM, John Isige <gwynn@...> wrote:

[...]

I think this link should explain the issue.

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/7697#pullrequestreview-73079514

Basically though, Only if you have enabled the feature will things fail. it looks like if its just an update, you should be OK.
[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

Sorry to chime in late.  If the message the original poster saw was from In-Process, then yes, it was Controlled Folder Access I mentioned.  That feature is off by default.  It is designed to prevent malware from accessing your documents and programs and other folders.  From the testing I've done, it seems to prevent most programs from creating desktop shortcuts, so I would suspect most software companies would recommend disabling it while installing software, similar to the way it is often recommended to disable anti-virus software while you install software.

As noted, NVDA will still install and will still work, it's just the desktop shortcut that won't be able to be created (which could be an issue for easy starting of NVDA).

We're watching the situation as most vendors are, and will update you as we find out more ourselves.  For now, if you have turned on controlled folder access, you are encouraged to turn it off while installing NVDA.  If you haven't turned it on and don't know what I'm rambling about, then you likely don't need to worry :)

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 2:37 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
I think this link should explain the issue.

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/7697#pullrequestreview-73079514

Basically though, Only if you have enabled the feature will things fail. it looks like if its just an update, you should be OK.
Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mary Otten" <motten53@...>
[...]

Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account

Would you know if the msse engine in Windows 7, for example will get this function as well? There have been rumours that it will but have not actually actively looked for it. I understand it has to do with an attempt to stop ransomware, which is a good thing, and maybe we should have access to a tray icon for turning it off for installs we elect to do.

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess