Topics

Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

Mary Otten <motten53@...>

Hi all,
I am considering a set up with clips ProMedia to Bluetooth speakers for my new PC. I have had less than stellar experiences with phones and Bluetooth speakers or headsets. There is latency, and with my Apple TV and sound bar, it was unusable, because the voice consistently miss the first few syllables due to the delay in the speaker kicking in. This would be totally unusable on a PC of course with the screen reader and software speech. My old PC has a hardware card for speech, and the Mac has USB speakers. So I have no experience with a PC or Mac for that matter, with Bluetooth speakers and software speech. I really like these speakers, but not if they’re going to present issues with the software speech for the screen meter. Comments?
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Kuzma

I know buddy of mine that bought them for his son for Christmas last year and they are awesomely sounding,
However I do believe he connected them to his pc hard wired with a audio cable and they worked perfectly.
Not sure about Bluetooth.
Hope this helps

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mary Otten
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 8:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

Hi all,
I am considering a set up with clips ProMedia to Bluetooth speakers for my new PC. I have had less than stellar experiences with phones and Bluetooth speakers or headsets. There is latency, and with my Apple TV and sound bar, it was unusable, because the voice consistently miss the first few syllables due to the delay in the speaker kicking in. This would be totally unusable on a PC of course with the screen reader and software speech. My old PC has a hardware card for speech, and the Mac has USB speakers. So I have no experience with a PC or Mac for that matter, with Bluetooth speakers and software speech. I really like these speakers, but not if they’re going to present issues with the software speech for the screen meter. Comments?
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Mary Otten <motten53@...>

Thanks. Maybe there is an alternate connection path, not just Bluetooth. I will have to look into that more.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 3, 2017, at 5:19 PM, Richard Kuzma via Groups.Io <rmkuzma=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I know buddy of mine that bought them for his son for Christmas last year and they are awesomely sounding,
However I do believe he connected them to his pc hard wired with a audio cable and they worked perfectly.
Not sure about Bluetooth.
Hope this helps

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mary Otten
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 8:03 PM

Hi all,
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

David Griffith

I don’t use Bluetooth speakers because of possible latency. Having said that I understand from a Podcast from Jonathan Mosen that the new Bluetooth 5 standard, if I remember correctly, might improve the situation.

So checking the Bluetooth standard of the speakers and your machine might reveal if this is the Bluetooth standard. If not I would personally avoid them and stick to a wired solution.

Some speakers pair with each other wirelessly but accept a wired input  from a sound source into one of the speakers which may be a solution. I have some speakers which can do this but have never used them on a PC.

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog
https://www.westhamtillidie.com/authors/blind-hammer/posts

Sent: 04 November 2017 00:02

Hi all,

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Kevin Chao

I was under the false-impression that Bluetooth 5 would reduce latency, but more detailed research prooved very little audio improvements in this new version of Bluetooth.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 7:07 PM David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

I don’t use Bluetooth speakers because of possible latency. Having said that I understand from a Podcast from Jonathan Mosen that the new Bluetooth 5 standard, if I remember correctly, might improve the situation.

So checking the Bluetooth standard of the speakers and your machine might reveal if this is the Bluetooth standard. If not I would personally avoid them and stick to a wired solution.

Some speakers pair with each other wirelessly but accept a wired input  from a sound source into one of the speakers which may be a solution. I have some speakers which can do this but have never used them on a PC.

David Griffith

My Blind hammer Blog

Sent: 04 November 2017 00:02

Hi all,

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'd say don't use them. Latency seems to be the issue, indeed even some laptops recently with internal cards are clipping the start or end of speech since they are somehow trying to anticipate when sound should be enabled to save power.
Its one thing I'm going to have to check on on my new machine.
I just don't like bluetooth due to its delay. For example say you are trying to do DJ stuff with a bog standard set of bluetooth phones you hear just enough delay in your ears to make you sound drunk when you play yourself back. direct connection is king.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, November 04, 2017 12:02 AM

Hi all,
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think its like everything else, if the hardware is capable then yes, but you have no idea how fast it is at either end of the link. If you just want to listen to music, then fine.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, November 04, 2017 2:18 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

I was under the false-impression that Bluetooth 5 would reduce latency, but
more detailed research prooved very little audio improvements in this new
version of Bluetooth.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 7:07 PM David Griffith <daj.griffith@gmail.com>
wrote:

I don’t use Bluetooth speakers because of possible latency. Having said
that I understand from a Podcast from Jonathan Mosen that the new Bluetooth
5 standard, if I remember correctly, might improve the situation.

So checking the Bluetooth standard of the speakers and your machine might
reveal if this is the Bluetooth standard. If not I would personally avoid
them and stick to a wired solution.

Some speakers pair with each other wirelessly but accept a wired input
from a sound source into one of the speakers which may be a solution. I
have some speakers which can do this but have never used them on a PC.

David Griffith

My Blind hammer Blog

*Sent: *04 November 2017 00:02

*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject: *[nvda] Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

Hi all,

I am considering a set up with clips ProMedia to Bluetooth speakers for my
new PC. I have had less than stellar experiences with phones and Bluetooth
speakers or headsets. There is latency, and with my Apple TV and sound bar,
it was unusable, because the voice consistently miss the first few
syllables due to the delay in the speaker kicking in. This would be totally
unusable on a PC of course with the screen reader and software speech. My
old PC has a hardware card for speech, and the Mac has USB speakers. So I
have no experience with a PC or Mac for that matter, with Bluetooth
speakers and software speech. I really like these speakers, but not if
they’re going to present issues with the software speech for the screen
meter. Comments?