update on sapi 5 problem

Tony James <megatronjames@...>

Hi, a while ago I posted about not being able to use SPAI5 with nvda.  last week I had to launch narrator because nvda was being sluggish and narrator started without a single problem.  I ran it again a few minutes ago without a single hitch.  narrator is set to use anna, but i can't seem to use this voice with any other programs.  does anyone no whats going on?

Quentin Christensen

Hi Tony,

Do you have sluggishness using NVDA with the default eSpeak NG voice?  NVDA should be able to use most SAPI 5 voices.  Microsoft Anna is a voice that Microsoft included with Windows 7 and should definitely work.  If you have commercial software installed which comes with other SAPI 5 voices, it's possible NVDA may see those but the voice might give an error when you try to use it.  I've encountered this with programs such as Zoomtext and Talking Typer.  The issue with those is they install the voices as standard SAPI 5 voices, but then restrict them so that they won't work if being used by a program other than the one they came with.

Otherwise, do you have any other programs running which may want to use the SAPI 5 synthesizer?  NVDA can run into problems if another program is trying to use the same synthesizer at the same time (if they are both running, even if both are not trying to speak at once).  The workaround is to set one program to use a different synthesizer.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Tony James <megatronjames@...>

Hi, I typically use the sapi4 mike voice.  I was actually asking because another program uses the sapi5 anna voice to generate talk clips for my clip zip, oh me recently and hasn’t been able to access the anna voice even though narrator uses her fine.  Is it possible that some setting is blocking this voice from being used by any other programs?

[...]

Anna should be able to be used by other programs, but if your talk clip program is loading anna and preventing it from being used by NVDA as well.  If Narrator is able to use Anna where NVDA isn't, maybe it's found a way of accessing it that we aren't using.

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Tony James <megatronjames@...> wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

AS you have seen the only true error in sappi five has been that benign language change warning on some voices, one assumes cos for example Serena English is just English. However the inability of it to use Emily, seems to be to do with Emily being 16 bit while the others are 32 bit. I also experience clipping off at the end of Anna when used, as if they have not allowed enough time for her to finish saying the word.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I have notices issues on Sapi 4 though mainly in the way it handles editing of characters in some fields, seeming to need two characters to be typed then saying both at times. I put this down to the elderly code used.

www.nvaccess.org<http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Twitter: @NVAccess