From: <prem.translator@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2017 6:03 AM
Subject: [nvda] Problem with my screen

At my workplace, when I need to type something, I always type in WordPad before pasting it into Word. However, something happen to me.
I use NVDA. When I'm typing, my colleague always tell me that my screen is empty. It's really annoy me because they see it's empty while I know everything and can do all my work with NVDA.

Is there any shortcut to set my screen always focus on my working screen so anyone can see the thing in the same way as I heard from NVDA?

Thank you and really sorry for my English.

prem.translator@...

I use Windows 7, 32 bit with NVDA 2017.1

The situation always happens when I open many things at the same time and go to each of them using Alt + Tab. When I back to WordPad, nothing appear on my screen, but everything works well with screen reader.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

If you get a sighted person to disable nvda or turn it off does the screen then work. I guess what I'm saying is, is this a driver issue or an nvda issue. I have noted that for example the place you are reading in a web page is often not on screen as nvda is working from its own buffer, but not whole programs being hidden.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I use Windows 7, 32 bit with NVDA 2017.1

The situation always happens when I open many things at the same time and go to each of them using Alt + Tab. When I back to WordPad, nothing appear on my screen, but everything works well with screen reader.

Quentin Christensen

It could be you have some windows (like WordPad maybe?) set quite small.  NVDA can still work with it, but visually your sighted colleague might only be able to see the ribbon etc.  If you press WINDOWS+UP ARROW it should maximise the current window to take up the full screen.

If you often work with a sighted colleague and would like them to be able to better tell where NVDA is working with the focus, you could install the "Focus highlight" add-on which draws a coloured box around the object which currently has focus.  It doesn't change how NVDA works but can make it easier for sighted users sitting next to you.

You can install that by pressing NVDA+n to open the NVDA menu, then T for tools then go down to "Add-on manager" and get add-ons.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 4:51 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
If you get a sighted person to  disable nvda or turn it off does the screen then work. I guess what I'm saying is, is this a driver issue or an nvda issue. I have noted that for example the place you are reading in a web page is often not on screen as nvda is working from its own buffer, but not whole programs being  hidden.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: <prem.translator@...>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

It's possible too that your active window was hidden behind another window.  Since you had word open with a blank document, it's likely they were seeing that window, and the notepad window you had open working was hidden behind one or more other windows.  This happens to me all the time when I ask for sighted help, the first thing the sighted help needs to do is move all the windows around until they find the window I'm working in.  It's likely you experienced something similar.

[...]

Yes I would say though that Focus highlight can get it wrong according to a sighted friend and is affected by screen res settings. It also seems to slow down nvda shutdown under unknown circumstances, but its erratic.

----- Original Message ----- From: <prem.translator@gmail.com>
I use Windows 7, 32 bit with NVDA 2017.1

The situation always happens when I open many things at the same time and
go to each of them using Alt + Tab. When I back to WordPad, nothing appear
on my screen, but everything works well with screen reader.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Tis should not happen though as the active window should always be the top one surely?

Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io
<mailto:bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>> wrote:

If you get a sighted person to disable nvda or turn it off does
the screen then work. I guess what I'm saying is, is this a driver
issue or an nvda issue. I have noted that for example the place
you are reading in a web page is often not on screen as nvda is
working from its own buffer, but not whole programs being hidden.

Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: <prem.translator@gmail.com
I use Windows 7, 32 bit with NVDA 2017.1

The situation always happens when I open many things at the same
time and go to each of them using Alt + Tab. When I back to
WordPad, nothing appear on my screen, but everything works well
with screen reader.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Re focus highlight, I know it often doesn't show as specific an item as would be ideal - for instance highlighting the whole editable section in Word, rather than the paragraph or word, but it is better than nothing and many users have reported it as being very useful when working with sighted people.

Re the possibility of the active window getting hidden behind another window, it can happen, and invariably it's annoying when it does.  Often things like anti-virus programs for instance, will pop up a notification to warn you about a risky file.  They may or may not steal focus when they do, and particularly if they don't, it can mean what you are currently working on isn't actually visible.  Other programs do it too.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Siegel" <tsiegel@...>

    bglists@... <mailto:bglists@....uk>
    briang1@... <mailto:briang1@....uk>,
    putting 'Brian Gaff'
    in the display name field.
    ----- Original Message ----- From: <prem.translator@...
    I use Windows 7, 32 bit with NVDA 2017.1

    The situation always happens when I open many things at the same
    time and go to each of them using Alt + Tab. When I back to
    WordPad, nothing appear on my screen, but everything works well
    with screen reader.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Yeah, the active window is supposed to be the top one, but for some reason, that doesn't always happen, and so sighted folks can't tell what window you're actively working in.  I have no idea why this happens, but it's not just with NVDA, this behavior was equally prevalent over 10 years ago when I used jaws as well, so don't feel bad, it's neither new, nor is it an artifact of your screen reader.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Siegel" <tsiegel@softcon.com>

    I use Windows 7, 32 bit with NVDA 2017.1

    The situation always happens when I open many things at the same
    time and go to each of them using Alt + Tab. When I back to
    WordPad, nothing appear on my screen, but everything works well
    with screen reader.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well, I've never seen this on normal apps, some apps can be run this way quite often but normally these are things that might suddenly steal focus when you do not want them to, not things like text editors which are dormant till you need to use them.